• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JimD
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2003
    • Lexington, SC.

Whirlpool Refrigerator Water Leak

I have a side-by-side Whirlpool referigerator I think we got in 2002. It has the normal cold water in the door and ice in the door. There is a water filter you access on the front of the frig where the air vents are at the bottom. Thursday I came home from grocery shoping to a big puddle in the kitchen coming from the frig. I investigated it Saturday and found the leak is coming from the water filter. I took it out and can see nothing wrong with the housing. The filter is old, however, and the o-rings look like they have flat spots on them where they should be sealing. I ordered a new filter but it seems like there should be more wrong than just the filter for it to leak as bad as it did.

Any experience or ideas?

Jim
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

you're supposed to change theose filters every year or so.
    I don't think i've ever changed mine.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Daryl
      • May 2004

I changed mine once. I do know that if they are not all the way in they will leak, maybe yours worked itself out a bit.
      Sometimes the old man passed out and left the am radio on so I got to hear the oldie songs and current event kind of things

Comment

• chopnhack
        Veteran Member
        • Oct 2006
        • Florida
        • Ryobi BT3100

I took my filter out completely as the fridge is fed from a RO system that has 2 prefilters. I didn't need anymore pressure drop, works fine for years with no leaks.
        I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• Stytooner
          Roll Tide RIP Lee
          • Dec 2002
          • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
          • BT3100

Same here.
          No filter, no leaks. It is far more economical for us to filter the cold kitchen tap and fridge under the sink than separate filters or each. We were initially on a well and the fridge filter did not last long. Neither did the big filters. County water now and the filter lasts three times longer.
          Lee

Comment

• parnelli
            • Aug 2004
            • bt3100

Originally posted by JimD
            I have a side-by-side Whirlpool referigerator I think we got in 2002. It has the normal cold water in the door and ice in the door. There is a water filter you access on the front of the frig where the air vents are at the bottom. Thursday I came home from grocery shoping to a big puddle in the kitchen coming from the frig. I investigated it Saturday and found the leak is coming from the water filter. I took it out and can see nothing wrong with the housing. The filter is old, however, and the o-rings look like they have flat spots on them where they should be sealing. I ordered a new filter but it seems like there should be more wrong than just the filter for it to leak as bad as it did.

Any experience or ideas?

Jim
            I've got a GE that has the filter up high in the refrigerator section and it will leak if it's not "in" all the way, but since yours had been in there a while that shouldn't be it.

Hopefully this new filter will fix the problem!

Comment

• ecenur

Originally posted by JimD

Any experience or ideas?

Jim
              I am recently experiencing the same problem. However, the filter is not old the refrigerator it's self was purchased around 2 months ago, i can't understand why I would be having such a problem. Does anyone have any ideas? Cheers.

Comment

• Ed62
                The Full Monte
                • Oct 2006
                • NW Indiana
                • BT3K

Here you go http://home.howstuffworks.com/refrigerator.htm .

Ed
                Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

Working...