Stupid question: How do I connect a washer box to the pipe?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ivwshane
    Established Member
    • Dec 2003
    • Sacramento CA

Stupid question: How do I connect a washer box to the pipe?

I cannot figure out how the washer box is supposed to connect to my existing plumbing.

I'm using this box:
    http://www.oatey.com/Plumber/Shared/...let+Boxes.html

I thought I would just screw it on to the current plumbing but that doesn't make sense since it wouldn't be able to lock into place correctly on the washer box.

It looks like the copper simply slides into the threaded pipe but then how does it prevent leaks?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by ivwshane; 06-20-2010, 05:19 PM.
  • Tom Slick
    Veteran Member
    • May 2005
    • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
    • sears BT3 clone

You sweat (solder) the copper pipe to the fitting.
    Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• ivwshane
      Established Member
      • Dec 2003
      • Sacramento CA

That wont melt the plastic?

Comment

• Tom Slick
        Veteran Member
        • May 2005
        • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
        • sears BT3 clone

Does the plastic piece unscrew? if not then you solder a female fitting onto the pipe the correct size for the oatey fitting then screw the fittings on.

Solder on a fitting like this

http://www.plumbingsupply.com/copper.html#female

you could also use a "shark bite" push-lock fitting but they usually are not allowed by code to be covered up.
        http://www.sharkbite.com/
        you can find either at home depot.
        Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• ivwshane
          Established Member
          • Dec 2003
          • Sacramento CA

Originally posted by Tom Slick
          Does the plastic piece unscrew? if not then you solder a female fitting onto the pipe the correct size for the oatey fitting then screw the fittings on.

Solder on a fitting like this

http://www.plumbingsupply.com/copper.html#female

you could also use a "shark bite" push-lock fitting but they usually are not allowed by code to be covered up.
          http://www.sharkbite.com/
          you can find either at home depot.
          The plastic piece in the 2nd and 3rd pic doesn't come off (at least I can't get it off).

I have the female fitting on their now but, unless I measure it perfectly, when I go to screw the male piece into the female piece it wont allow me to lock the plastic housing into the washer box housing and may not fit properly.

Soldering the pipe to the fitting seemed logical but the way the part was designed doesn't make soldering too easy (I have about 1/2" from the bottom of the fitting until I hit plastic).

Comment

• frumper64
            Established Member
            • Feb 2004
            • Garland, Tx, USA.

How about screwing the female fitting (pictured in the post above) onto the fitting mounted in the box and then using that whole assembly to show you how much you need to cut off the existing pipes in order for it all to fit together correctly? (simply put - dry fit it all). Then take the female fitting off, cut the existing pipes to the correct length, solder the female fittings to them and then install the box and screw everything together?
            Jim
            64sedan_at_gmail.com

Comment

• ivwshane
              Established Member
              • Dec 2003
              • Sacramento CA

What about using a compression fitting?

Comment

• BigguyZ
                Veteran Member
                • Jul 2006
                • Minneapolis, MN
                • Craftsman, older type w/ cast iron top

My preference: add a female NPT to PEX connection and use pex to connect the two. Easy to cut, and flexible to maneuver between the fittings....

Comment

• dbhost
                  Slow and steady
                  • Apr 2008
                  • League City, Texas
                  • Ryobi BT3100

Just IMHO, but under NO circumstances would I use a compression fitting behind drywall. Too many chances for a leak, risk of catastrophic damage too high...

You really ought to figure out how to sweat the pipe to the fitting...
                  Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• ivwshane
                    Established Member
                    • Dec 2003
                    • Sacramento CA

Originally posted by dbhost
                    Just IMHO, but under NO circumstances would I use a compression fitting behind drywall. Too many chances for a leak, risk of catastrophic damage too high...

You really ought to figure out how to sweat the pipe to the fitting...

I was set on using compression fittings but then I had the same thought you did.

Anyway this is what I ended up doing.

I cut the existing copper and soldered it to the oatey fitting outside of the box and I added a coupler to that as well. Then I slid the fitting with the soldered copper and coupler through the hole, slipped the stationary copper pipe in the coupler and locked the oatey fitting in and soldered the coupling.

Thanks for all of the suggestions, it helped me to not make a stupid mistake.
                    Last edited by ivwshane; 09-07-2010, 11:58 PM.

Comment

Working...