• Show
Clear All
  • Pappy
    The Full Monte
    • Dec 2002
    • San Marcos, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 (x2)

Carport Construction

The wife has wanted me to build a carport for some time. With the pending purchase of another motorcycle, I have been looking at options.

I had looked at possibly using fence corner posts to support a 2x8 framework and metal roof. Another, less expensive option was to use EMT tubing as the posts.

This morning I ran across what may be the best option, a listing for 9'-14' used sign posts. They are 2 7/8" o.d. and all have a bolt down base. I also found an ad for some used 2x8 that cuold cut my costs if they are long enough.

My thought for constuction is to set piers and bolt on the posts at 5' spacing along both sides, varying the height to create a slight pitch for run off. A 2x8 stringer would be bolted to these with joists placed 2' o/c to attach the roof panels. The end joists would be doubled. Overall roof area would be 18' x 26', wich should provide ample space for our vehicles side by side and the bike acros the front. The carport will be free standing.

Thoughts?
    Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
    Fools because they have to say something.
    Plato
  • crokett
    The Full Monte
    • Jan 2003
    • Mebane, NC, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000

Pitch the roof to one side or the other, rather than front to back. It is much more likely you will enter from 1 end or another rather than the sides. That way you don't get dripped on. It would also be easier to create the pitch since all the posts on one side will be the same length, just a little taller/shorter than the other side. I would also build a template of where the bolt holes are in the posts and use that to set j-bolts in your piers when you pour. Much easier/faster/cheaper than drilling holes in the piers later.
    Last edited by crokett; 04-21-2010, 01:49 PM.
    David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• cgallery
      Veteran Member
      • Sep 2004
      • Milwaukee, WI
      • BT3K

I like it. Would one side be attached to the house, or would the structure be braced? I'm just thinking a somewhat heavy roof on top of posts may sway otherwise. Perhaps the posts are stiff enough to prevent this?

Comment

• chopnhack
        Veteran Member
        • Oct 2006
        • Florida
        • Ryobi BT3100

Does it get windy in that part of Tx? Your inspector may have something to say about wind codes...
        I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• Pappy
          The Full Monte
          • Dec 2002
          • San Marcos, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 (x2)

I talked to the woman that has the sign posts. She owns a company that erects signs for the Tx DOT. The posts are recycled from replaced signs so strength should not be a problem even for a freestanding structure. I may add a 3' panel across the end where my bike will be parked to stiffen it side to side.

Roofing with R panel the slope needs to be along the lenth of the panels. In this case, entry is more likely to be from the side for 2 reasons. First, the bike will pull in and out from the sides as wellas be parked across the end. Second, my wife has to approach her jeep from the side to put her wheelchair on the lift. The low end will be in front toward the house so any dripping would be away from the rear of the vehicles.

David, I thought of the template already and will probably batch make several and leave them in place until the concrete sets.

Nice thing about living in the county. Homeowner construction only requires inspection if there is a connection to the septic system.
          Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
          Fools because they have to say something.
          Plato

Comment

• phi1l
            • Oct 2009
            • Madison, WI

Remember some DOT sign posts are made to break away if hit by a car. I think I would avoid those.

Comment

• pelligrini
              Veteran Member
              • Apr 2007
              • Fort Worth, TX
              • Craftsman 21829

Originally posted by Pappy
              I may add a 3' panel across the end where my bike will be parked to stiffen it side to side.
              Good idea, my initial thoughts on the first post was how you are going to deal with shear. You might consider another panel on the tall side too.
              Erik

Comment

• LarryG
                The Full Monte
                • May 2004
                • Off The Back
                • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

Originally posted by pelligrini
                Good idea, my initial thoughts on the first post was how you are going to deal with shear. You might consider another panel on the tall side too.
                +1. There will either need to be shear panels in both directions, or moment-resistant connections for the columns.

Pappy, I'm not a structural engineer but those 18 x 26 roof dimensions sound pretty big for a 2x8 to span. If there was a (say) two foot overhang at each side and the clear span was only 14 feet, that might be okay; but I have the sense you want the posts and beams all the way out to the edges. Something you should get someone to check for you, however you plan to build it.
                Larry

Comment

• capncarl
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jan 2007
                  • Leesburg Georgia USA
                  • SawStop CTS

Another thing to remember, the structure is no stronger than the foundation that it is bolted to. If you provide a proper footer that will keep the poles from leaning under high winds, or from being knocked over when your bike falls against it, you may have more $$ in concrete than a walled structure would cost. To get around having a strong footer for each pole you will have to build the upper framework strong enough to prevent any leaning or twisting. Think of it like building a table. If the legs are shakey and wants to fall down when you lean against it, you tighten up the bolts or add some more braceing. You would hate for it to come down on your head.

capncarl

Comment

Working...