Clear All
  • Greg in Maryland
    Established Member
    • Nov 2006
    • Montgomery Village, Maryland
    • BT3100

How far shoud an outlet be from H20?

Hi

I want to put an series of outlets along the back wall of my built in work bench. Unfortunately, my water main and meter are less then six inches from one end of my bench. Obviously putting electricity this close to H2O is a bit concerning.

I am thinking about installing the outlet about 2 feet from the water main with a dedicated GFCI circuit. Perhaps even building some sort of shielding around the water pipe to contain any future spray or leak.

Does this sound reasonable given the situation?

Cheers!

Greg
  • pelligrini
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2007
    • Fort Worth, TX
    • Craftsman 21829

Not sure about your location, but the IBC/IRC requires all outlets in garages and kitchens to be GFCI anyways. I think if you put in the fault circuit you should be ok.
    Erik

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

basically a water pipe is the same as a good ground rod. The third prong in your electrical outlets is at the same electrical potential as the water pipes, or, at least it should be and its less than a half inch from the live electrical conductors.

Water leaking is a poorish path to ground, not as good as a grounded lead, case or outlet which is also the same as a water pipe... But it still can get you elecrocuted and its hazard is that it is much easier to contact that a fully grounded contact.
      Either way a GFCi protects you.

Can't think of any other reasons it would be dangerous.
      If there is, I'm sure someone will pop up with the NEC electrical code that says you can't do it.
      Last edited by LCHIEN; 04-18-2010, 11:46 PM.
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• phi1l
        • Oct 2009
        • Madison, WI

ya .. I wouldn't worry too much about it, .. unless things in your shop get a lot more rowdy than they do in mine

Comment

• reddog552
          Established Member
          • Dec 2006
          • Belleville Il.
          • Bt3000

recepticle near water

The NEC allows this,GFI breaker required because its in either garage or basement.The Water main and shut off are not affecting this no sink.My sons 50 yo house he just bought needs some up dating. fuse pannel, with a shower hesd 6" from it. thats not allowed
          The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of low cost is forgotten!

Comment

• Kristofor
            Veteran Member
            • Jul 2004
            • Twin Cities, MN
            • Jet JTAS10 Cabinet Saw

My (gas) water heater plugs into an outlet right next to it. My fridge (with water attached for ice/water) is also plugged into an outlet right next to it. The water softener, washing machine, whirlpool, etc. all have power and water in close proximity.

In kitchens and bathrooms you're required to have power (with GFCI) in close proximity to sinks which IMO are about 1000x more likely to splash on a daily basis than your water main is likely to leak.

I agree with the folks saying it'll be okay.

Comment

Working...