• Show
Clear All
  • messmaker
    Veteran Member
    • May 2004
    • RICHMOND, KY, USA.
    • Ridgid 2424

Rear tine tiller

Gotta have one quick. My budget is $1000 max. Any advice?
    spellling champion Lexington region 1982
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

Do you need to own, or rent?
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• tommyt654
      Veteran Member
      • Nov 2008

Whats your soil like? Rear-Tine Tillers are ntotrious for running on top of the ground if its hard-packed clay. Now if you,ve got nice loamy/sandy like soil their great but otherwise I,d go with an over/engine front-tine tiller. As far as any particular brand honestly there all about the same nowadays,just get one with a B+S motor and get to work, a little advice tho, it helps if your soil is somewhat compacted to bust it up with a shovel first to give your anchor something to bite into,Tommyt

Comment

• aggrex
        Established Member
        • Jan 2009
        • PA
        • Ridgid

IMO I would rent the tiller. When the job is done it takes up a lot of space and needs some TLC

Comment

• cabinetman
          Gone but not Forgotten RIP
          • Jun 2006
          • So. Florida
          • Delta

I also vote for renting. That way you can get whatever you want, and there's no storage or upkeep.

Comment

• phi1l
            • Oct 2009
            • Madison, WI

Originally posted by cabinetman
            I also vote for renting. That way you can get whatever you want, and there's no storage or upkeep.

But only if you can't borrow one from a neighbor

Also.. Will this be a new garden? Tillers don't do that great on unbroken soil. The garden as to be plowed, or turned before using a rototiller for the first time.

Comment

• Slik Geek
              • Dec 2006
              • Lake County, Illinois
              • Ryobi BT-3000

I've used Troy-Bilt rear tillers for 35 years, including breaking sod to start new gardens. Generally if you are having problems with it running on top of the ground, you have the depth set too aggressive. Just take multiple passes.

A "Pony" model is at the top of your price range. The original one that I used failed only because a person borrowed it and ran into a post, cracking the engine casting at the intake manifold. The cost of replacing the motor was not much different than a new one. Otherwise, never had a failure with a Troy-Bilt and I've used them on massive gardens.

Used properly, a rear tiller model will be less work than a front-tiller model. (The first one we had was a front-till model - it was retired early).

Comment

• messmaker
                Veteran Member
                • May 2004
                • RICHMOND, KY, USA.
                • Ridgid 2424

tiller

Can't rent. I need it for almost a month.
                spellling champion Lexington region 1982

Comment

• Pitman
                  Forum Newbie
                  • May 2005

This one gets decent reviews. http://www.amazon.com/Poulan-PRRT850...9791605&sr=1-1

Might try craiglist for a used bcs.

Comment

• Tom Slick
                    Veteran Member
                    • May 2005
                    • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
                    • sears BT3 clone

Find a used Troy-built Pony. The older ones are built like a tank with lots of cast iron parts that never wear out.
                    Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• ironhat
                      Veteran Member
                      • Aug 2004
                      • Chambersburg, PA (South-central).
                      • Ridgid 3650 (can I still play here?)

Originally posted by Tom Slick
                      Find a used Troy-built Pony. The older ones are built like a tank with lots of cast iron parts that never wear out.
                      And, they're always in the Penny-Saver or Shopper as the old guys get too old to kick that beast around any more. Don't ask.
                      Blessings,
                      Chiz

Comment

• Worley

I just purchased a Honda rear tine till from Home Depot's tool rental for $500. It has pretty lower hours on it, and the guy that runs the tool rental at the store takes very good care of the equipment. Its probably about the largest rear tine you can buy without going tractor mounted.

Comment

• aarenlainey

I like the cub better than any tiller I've ever had. I've replaced the drive belt but other than that it's performed great. I rebuilt the transmission in my old troybuilt but the housings were worn so bad that it didn't last long. I finally junked it and went a little more modern. Chain driven tillers are easy to repair and have fewer moving parts. Find someone who has a cub cadet and get a demo.

Comment

Working...