• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kristofor
    Veteran Member
    • Jul 2004
    • Twin Cities, MN
    • Jet JTAS10 Cabinet Saw

[QUOTE=LCHIEN;456363]all I can say is you guys who love push mowers don't live where the grass growing season is 8-9 months long and the temperature and humidity averages 97 degrees and 100%.
    Also you push mower guys and the guys with electric mowers don't have the thick st.Augustine grass we have here. I can say I've lived here for 50 years and I don't know anyone who uses a push mower or an electric mower. I think the St. Augustine grass just laughs at them. Bermuda grass and Rye grass is nothing. QUOTE]

Self-propelled is a feature I appreciate in a non-riding mower despite being "up north". It's less of a concern where I live now with only mild hills but it was a major consideration in the past with lots of steep and long hills. That feels like more of a factor to me than temperature (but I'd probably singing a different tune if I mowed more than a handful of times each year when the temp was in the 90's)

There are several types of plants here that seem to be somewhat similar to St. Augustine grass in leaf texture/size/shape but they tend to be considered weeds rather than lawn. For barefoot enjoyment index a nice bluegrass mix tops the chart for me (though we don't have to worry about stepping on poisonous snakes, scorpions, etc)...

Comment

• dbhost
      Slow and steady
      • Apr 2008
      • League City, Texas
      • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by LCHIEN
      all I can say is you guys who love push mowers don't live where the grass growing season is 8-9 months long and the temperature and humidity averages 97 degrees and 100%.
      Also you push mower guys and the guys with electric mowers don't have the thick st.Augustine grass we have here. I can say I've lived here for 50 years and I don't know anyone who uses a push mower or an electric mower. I think the St. Augustine grass just laughs at them. Bermuda grass and Rye grass is nothing. That's probably another reason for the discrepancy in lifespans of Gasoline lawnmowers mentioned here - the season length and how hard the motor has to work.

But anyway the OP lives up North where these things seem to be acceptable. Just though I'd mention it though.

Loring,
      who's been paying someone to cut the grass for him for 6-7 years now.
      Sorry Loring. But you statement is, well, untrue... You know me, not particularly well, but we've met. I live less than 50 miles from you. I use a push mower, and it's holding up fine. My lot isn't big enough to justify a riding mower, and the landscaping is arranged that a riding mower is simply too big to fit. I have St. Augsustine grass, and yes it is hard on an engine, but even half a$$ed maintenance has kept it going just fine for all these years. I did gum up the carb between '08 and '09 by storing it with gas in the tank, but a fresh tank of gas with a heavy SeaFoam mix, and some quality time with carb & choke cleaner gave it all the breathing room it needs...

We recently had a new neighbor move in, the fellow he bought the house from was finally throwing out his old Craftsman 5HP B&S engine rear bagger. I snagged it, cleaned it up, put new filters, muffler, and pull cord on it and gave it to the guy that bought he house. The guy that had the mower originally bought it in 1987... So no, the long, hot, humid mowing season, and St. Augsustine grass is not a guaranteed death blow to a gas mower.

We are in flat land here, so self propelled or not is no big issue... I guess I could see struggle with the lawn if you let it grow too long. But if you mow once a week, it should be simply start the mower, and stroll along the lawn with it. I would actually think the self propelled feature would be harder to use as it doesn't neccesarily go at the pace the operator wants to go...

I do have a neighbor that uses an electric, but he is on the smallest lot in the neighborhood, and he is a Prius owner... Huge on electric and green tech... Honestly he would probably have less effort in mowing his lawn if he used a scroll mower... That electric mower just struggles too hard to cut the grass...

I believe Cabinetman mentioned that walk behind is easily doable if you are "fit and up to the task". Well I wouldn't say I am in the best fitness shape of my life, and even though I have lost about 25lbs in the last year, I am still closer to "Fat B@#$ard" than I am to "Austin Powers" you know? And I don't have a problem mowing my St. Augustine grass with a push mower in August, or September. Admittedly I don't mow every 4 or 5 days like Cabinetman, but once a week. Usually early on Saturday morning so I can beat the highest heat of the day... And I typically have a thermos with cold water out there with me sitting on the toolbox of the truck so I can grab some water and keep going...

Anyway, I would MUCH rather be out in the heat mowing my lawn than shoveling feet of snow off of my driveway and sidewalk in sub freezing temps...
      Last edited by dbhost; 03-26-2010, 10:21 AM.
      Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• dbhost
        Slow and steady
        • Apr 2008
        • League City, Texas
        • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by atgcpaul
        Just cut the grass for the first time with the new mower tonight. My first
        impression is that I like it. It started on the first pull every time. A lot more
        powerful than the electric. Scary powerful. Watch out for those shooting
        pine cones! I do miss that the electric was quieter, lighter, didn't smell, and
        didn't leave my hands buzzing afterwards. On the other hand, not being
        tethered to a cord really made my life easier overall. I think I saved at least
        20 minutes with the new mower. I'm going to get some kind of cushy grip,
        though.

Paul
        I wrapped the handle with that foam bicycle grip tape stuff from Walmart. No buzzing...
        Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• pelligrini
          Veteran Member
          • Apr 2007
          • Fort Worth, TX
          • Craftsman 21829

I really like the self propelled Toro 'personal pace' I got several years ago. I can mow the yard and drink a beer at the same time. I don't have to have both hands on the mower bar.

I used to have a push reel mower when we were renting a small 1920's bungalo. It was kind of nice being able to mow the little yard at night when the temp got down into the 90s.
          Erik

Comment

Working...