• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tseavoy
    Established Member
    • May 2009
    • Nordland, Marrowstone Island, Washington
    • Older 9 inch Rockwell Delta (1960?)

I have a Stihl chainsaw that is now about 30 years old and still works fine. I don't bother with draining fuel, stab-il , etc. I have gotten quite a bit of use from it. I also have a Remington electric saw that is used as a regular chain saw or on a pole for pruning. I use the electric one for quick jobs in the range of the power outlet. It's handy since you don't have to mess with gas and 2 cycle oil (you still have to oil the bar). I am considering adding a chainsaw pole pruner attachment to my Stihl weedeater, but the cost is a little high at $185.
    If your use is for relatively light jobs within range of power, I guess electric would be the way to go. If you need to cut down that giant sequoia in your front yard, you can always rent a gas chainsaw.

Tom on Marrowstone

Comment

• Sid
      Established Member
      • Apr 2004
      • Bloomington, IL, USA.
      • Craftsman 22124

Any chance there's a shear pin to protect the motor and gears in the event that the chain gets jammed up tight? Probably not--that would be too cheap and easy to fix!

Sid

Comment

• phi1l
        • Oct 2009
        • Madison, WI

Gas chain saws usually use a centrifugal clutch so that the chain stops when they are at idle. I don't know if an electric has that though. It might be just an adjustment or a small part. I think I would have an electric one if I had enough extension cords to reach to where I end up having to use my saw.

But what ever you do, be very very careful. Table saws might take a finger or if you aren't careful, but that is nothing compared to what chain saw kick back will do to you.

Comment

• tommyt654
          Veteran Member
          • Nov 2008

Next thing ya know Gass and his crew of attorneys will go after the chainsaw industry as well for not having his flesh sensing technology

Comment

Working...