• Show
Clear All
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

It Makes The Right Sounds

My chainsaw that is. I'm into cuttin' down a large Mango tree, and my electric chainsaw makes the right noise, but the chain doesn't move. It's like something has stripped. It's a Craftsman electric 16", 3HP (so they say).

I'm going to the innards to see what's what. I have a feeling I see a new chainsaw in my immediate future...like tomorrow. Anyway my dilemma is what to buy. I'm thinking go with electric again because it's seldom used. Craftsman now has an 18", 4HP, for about $100.

I did a search of chainsaw threads and am still undecided. A gas version would be more efficient and faster, but it'll sit for long periods. What would you do?
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by cabinetman
    My chainsaw that is. I'm into cuttin' down a large Mango tree, and my electric chainsaw makes the right noise, but the chain doesn't move. It's like something has stripped. It's a Craftsman electric 16", 3HP (so they say).

I'm going to the innards to see what's what. I have a feeling I see a new chainsaw in my immediate future...like tomorrow. Anyway my dilemma is what to buy. I'm thinking go with electric again because it's seldom used. Craftsman now has an 18", 4HP, for about $100.

I did a search of chainsaw threads and am still undecided. A gas version would be more efficient and faster, but it'll sit for long periods. What would you do?
    I'm probably an idiot, but I would go with a gasser. Just make certain you drain the gas out of the tank, and run it out after every use. Use Sta-Bil and you should be fine. I don't use my weed eater and edger for 4 months out of the year and they are both fine...

Another advantage you will experience with a gasser versus an electric is hurricanes. If you get a big blow through your area, power is out, and a tree is sitting on your house.... You gonna cut it up with a hand saw?

Now price wise and all, an electric is hard to beat, cheap to buy, cheap to replace, but easy to burn up, and seriously power lack...

FWIW I currently have a Remmington 18" electric that is about 10 years old.
    Hurricane Ike gave me a bad itch to upgrade to a 20+ inch gasser...
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• Mr__Bill
      Veteran Member
      • May 2007
      • Tacoma, WA
      • BT3000

Rent!

A gas saw left for long periods between use will have a gummed up carburetor that will cost you at least half the price of the saw to get fixed in the shop.

Electric is slower and tethered but at least has no carburetor issues.

Rent, the best of both worlds, fast gas saw and it works every time you go and get it.

Even better is a friend with a gas saw you can get to cut the tree up for you.

Bill

Comment

• x00018
        Forum Newbie
        • Mar 2006
        • Cranberry Twp, PA
        • Sears BT3000 Clone

Originally posted by cabinetman
        I sold the 2 seldom used gas saws I had and now just rent one for a day when I need it. Let the rental yard deal with keeping it up and running.

Comment

• billwmeyer
          Veteran Member
          • Feb 2003
          • Weir, Ks, USA.
          • BT3000

I have the 18v cordless Ryobi and it does a good job if you have the li-on batteries. I have trimmed a lot of branches with it and it does a good job. It is slower than my other electric and of course slower than a gas one.
          Bill
          "I just dropped in to see what condition my condition was in."-Kenny Rogers

Comment

• cabinetman
            • Jun 2006
            • So. Florida
            • Delta

Originally posted by dbhost

Another advantage you will experience with a gasser versus an electric is hurricanes. If you get a big blow through your area, power is out, and a tree is sitting on your house.... You gonna cut it up with a hand saw?

I've got a generator, like any smart Floridian should have.

Comment

• DustyandLefty
              Forum Newbie
              • Mar 2006
              • Almost West Virginia
              • BT3000 w/ side and rear tables on wheels, BT3100 portable spare, old Delta contractor's

three hands

Hi Cabinetman,
              When my electric chain saw forgot the words and only hummed, I took it apart. It turns out there were two bolts holding the cutting bar on, and it took three hands to tighten everything at once to keep tension on the chain. So if the gear turns but the chain doesn't, that is probably your problem.

But once I got a sawsall and the pruning blade, I quit using my chain saw. The sawsall is way safer. I use a corded one for thicker branches and trunks, and the cordless one for smaller branches.

Good luck,
              Dusty and Lefty

Comment

• cabinetman
                • Jun 2006
                • So. Florida
                • Delta

Originally posted by Mr__Bill

A gas saw left for long periods between use will have a gummed up carburetor that will cost you at least half the price of the saw to get fixed in the shop.

Electric is slower and tethered but at least has no carburetor issues.
                These are my thoughts.

Originally posted by Mr__Bill
                Rent, the best of both worlds, fast gas saw and it works every time you go and get it.

Even better is a friend with a gas saw you can get to cut the tree up for you.

Bill

Renting is a great idea, but very inconvenient. I like the idea of a willing friend. Are you willing?

Comment

• jziegler
                  Veteran Member
                  • Aug 2005
                  • Salem, NJ, USA.
                  • Ryobi BT3100

I have an electric (a cheap ryobi) that I got a couple years ago, and it has been OK for my occasional use. Sure, it is on the slow side, but it will do the job and the price was right. Since I have a small property, I refuse to deal with any small engines since I don't want to deal with the maintenance.

Comment

• cabinetman
                    • Jun 2006
                    • So. Florida
                    • Delta

Originally posted by DustyandLefty
                    Hi Cabinetman,
                    When my electric chain saw forgot the words and only hummed, I took it apart. It turns out there were two bolts holding the cutting bar on, and it took three hands to tighten everything at once to keep tension on the chain. So if the gear turns but the chain doesn't, that is probably your problem.

But once I got a sawsall and the pruning blade, I quit using my chain saw. The sawsall is way safer. I use a corded one for thicker branches and trunks, and the cordless one for smaller branches.

Good luck,
                    Dusty and Lefty

The gear that drives the chain doesn't turn. It's likely a stripped something or other inside. I've got a sawsall, but I've got a huge stump about 3x3 to cut.

Comment

• dbhost
                      Slow and steady
                      • Apr 2008
                      • League City, Texas
                      • Ryobi BT3100

Since you've got a generator, storm power loss isn't your issue (unless the forementioned tree squishes your generator)... Since it would see seldom use, I would go electric. Of course if you get a nice gasser and an alaskan mill, at least around here, there are a LOT of trees free for the cutting of interesting stuff. Pecan, Cherry, oaks, walnut to name a few...
                      Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• Hoover
                        Veteran Member
                        • Mar 2003
                        • USA.

Empty the gas tank of your chainsaw, if you believe that it won't be used for a while. Store a can of petrol mixed 40:1 and add stabil.
                        No good deed goes unpunished

Comment

• chopnhack
                          Veteran Member
                          • Oct 2006
                          • Florida
                          • Ryobi BT3100

Quote : <Since you've got a generator, storm power loss isn't your issue (unless the forementioned tree squishes your generator)... Since it would see seldom use, I would go electric. Of course if you get a nice gasser and an alaskan mill, at least around here, there are a LOT of trees free for the cutting of interesting stuff. Pecan, Cherry, oaks, walnut to name a few... >:

......tears... oh how I wish.. please dbhost tell me that you have done this at least once or twice since you have these trees lying around!
                          I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• tommyt654
                            Veteran Member
                            • Nov 2008

Ever accidently cut your power cord with an electric chainsaw, Its quite shocking

Comment

• cabinetman
                              • Jun 2006
                              • So. Florida
                              • Delta

Originally posted by tommyt654
                              Ever accidently cut your power cord with an electric chainsaw, Its quite shocking

Yeah, I did once cutting up some shrubbery on the ground and hit the cord. No shock, but some nice sparks some buzzing and now the cord is about 5' shorter.

Comment

Working...