• Show
Clear All
  • crokett
    The Full Monte
    • Jan 2003
    • Mebane, NC, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000

Hard To Start My Mower

Lawn tractor - Troy-bilt Pony. It was hard to get it to turn over last year so I bought a new battery, old one was 4 yrs old. That didn't seem to help. I am thinking either alternator isn't charging the battery properly or maybe starter motor is going? I can jump it from a car and it runs ok once it is started but it is like the battery isn't putting out enough power to get it to turn over.

Anyway, what to check and how?
    David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.
  • Uncle Cracker
    The Full Monte
    • May 2007
    • Sunshine State
    • BT3000

Check your battery voltages before you jump start from your car. Some mowers run on 6 volts, and your car battery would damage the mower. If your mower is 12 volts, though, then you could jump it from your car.

Comment

• master53yoda
      Established Member
      • Oct 2008
      • Spokane Washington
      • bt 3000 2 of them and a shopsmith ( but not for the tablesaw part)

i don't know if that is a Tecumseh motor or not but they had a problem of cracking the field magnets. they would still turn but not very well. It happened twice on one of mine that i used for snow removal. I think it had to todo with the size of the magnet and a quick temperature change when cranking.

if the battery voltage stays above 10.5 during cranking it isn't the battery. if the voltage delivered to the start is within .75 volts of the battery the wiring and solenoids are OK. If the voltage drop at the starter is more then 1 Volt the first place would be the solenoid.

If everything else checks out pull the starter apart and check the fields
      Art

If you don't want to know, Don't ask

If I could come back as anyone one in history, It would be the man I could have been and wasn't....

Comment

• JimD
        Veteran Member
        • Feb 2003
        • Lexington, SC.

If the alternator is working, the voltage at the battery will increase when the engine is running. A simple check with a DC voltmeter will tell you. The voltage regulator on mine seems to be nonexistant or awfully basic, I think I measure something like 16V. Certainly it should be over 13V.

I haven't used my riding mower in a couple years. I should sell it. I guess I think I might get bad enough off some say I will need to use it. But I have been very unimpressed with the batteries. They do not seem to hold up well at all. My minimal use and not keeping the battery charged consistently undoubtedly represents abuse but it still seems like I cannot get more than 2 years on a battery. So I always suspect the battery, espeically when jumping it works.

Jim

Comment

• dewi1219
          Established Member
          • Dec 2005
          • Birmingham, AL

Originally posted by master53yoda
          i don't know if that is a Tecumseh motor or not but they had a problem of cracking the field magnets. they would still turn but not very well. It happened twice on one of mine that i used for snow removal. I think it had to todo with the size of the magnet and a quick temperature change when cranking.

if the battery voltage stays above 10.5 during cranking it isn't the battery. if the voltage delivered to the start is within .75 volts of the battery the wiring and solenoids are OK. If the voltage drop at the starter is more then 1 Volt the first place would be the solenoid.

If everything else checks out pull the starter apart and check the fields
          +1 on Yoda's comments. I had the same thing happen to me.

Comment

• Ed62
            The Full Monte
            • Oct 2006
            • NW Indiana
            • BT3K

You might also have something dragging the battery down when it is not being used. If you disconnect the cable when you're through using it, reconnect it, and it starts right up the next time you want to use it, that could be the problem.

Ed
            Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• phi1l
              • Oct 2009
              • Madison, WI

I have no sympathy for guys that have to mow their lawn in February

Comment

• sweensdv
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2002
                • WI
                • Baileigh TS-1040P-50

Originally posted by phi1l
                I have no sympathy for guys that have to mow their lawn in February
                Yup, just doesn't seem right talking about mowers in Feb.

Comment

• cgallery
                  Veteran Member
                  • Sep 2004
                  • Milwaukee, WI
                  • BT3K

Originally posted by sweensdv
                  Yup, just doesn't seem right talking about mowers in Feb.
                  +2.

Actually, I thought he was just trying to be prepared for the mowing season. If he is mowing now, then I en envious.

Comment

• tseavoy
                    Established Member
                    • May 2009
                    • Nordland, Marrowstone Island, Washington
                    • Older 9 inch Rockwell Delta (1960?)

Sometimes the connection between the starter switch and starter solenoid is tenuous what with going through all the safety switches -- seat switch, blade switch, reverse switch. Try jumping directly from the mower battery to the starter.
                    Of course you should check the battery voltage also, with and without the starter switch engaged.

I live north of almost all you guys (48-04 North) and I've mowed my lawn twice so far.

Tom on Marrowstone

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
                      The Full Monte
                      • May 2007
                      • Sunshine State
                      • BT3000

Originally posted by cgallery
                      +2.

Actually, I thought he was just trying to be prepared for the mowing season. If he is mowing now, then I en envious.
                      I mowed this past weekend... The grass is still crusty, because we had several days of freeze, but the new green is coming out now, and the weeds are growing like crazy...

By the way, that first post-mow beer of the season went down mighty good!

Comment

• billwmeyer
                        Veteran Member
                        • Feb 2003
                        • Weir, Ks, USA.
                        • BT3000

I have had two different problems from similar symptoms. One was the starter, and the other was the valves had come out of adjustment, so that the exhaust valves were not opening enough, so it was building compression. I would take the starter off and see if your local automotive parts shop can test it. A local NAPA store tested mine both times on my problems. The first time they said starter and that fixed it. The next time starter was fine, so I moved on and finally discovered the valve problem.

Bill
                        "I just dropped in to see what condition my condition was in."-Kenny Rogers

Comment

• Bill Stock
                          Established Member
                          • Nov 2006
                          • Canada, Eh!
                          • BT3100

A collective You Suck for the guys mowing their lawn; I'm still shovelling mine. :-)

Comment

• crokett
                            The Full Monte
                            • Jan 2003
                            • Mebane, NC, USA.
                            • Ryobi BT3000

I'm not mowing yet. I am trying to get it fixed now so my FIL can mow it and do other stuff.

As for the voltage if I did damage the battery by jumping it, it already happened. While we are on the subject, with a 6V battery is that what I should see at the starter when I am cranking it? Yoda mentioned 10V at the starter, I am assuming that is for a 12V system?
                            Last edited by crokett; 02-23-2010, 09:03 PM.
                            David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
                              The Full Monte
                              • May 2007
                              • Sunshine State
                              • BT3000

Originally posted by crokett
                              As for the voltage if I did damage the battery by jumping it, it already happened. While we are on the subject, with a 6V battery is that what I should see at the starter when I am cranking it? Yoda mentioned 10V at the starter, I am assuming that is for a 12V system?
                              Not just the battery at risk... There may also be diodes, voltage regulators, bulbs and other stuff in there that may not react too well to too much voltage. As for the 10V thing, that's what you'd expect on a 12V system with the starter motor cranking... It brings down the voltage because of the current it's pulling.

Comment

Working...