• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Raffi
    Established Member
    • Sep 2003
    • CA, USA.

Home Phone HELP!

Been having intermittent telephone problems at home, line goes dead, can only receive incoming calls, lots of static, and sometimes dead. Being somewhat hand, I opened the box to take a look inside to see if I could diagnose the problem.

The phone company says if its not their problem they will charge me $80 to come out and look, and I want to see if I can be sure of whether it is their problem or not.

Can anyone give me any ideas, I was stumped...

Raffi
    Attached Files
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

there's two regular RJ-11 jacks pictured there. Allowing up to two lines into your house but i'll assume there's only one.

If you bring a standard working phone out to the box unplug the RJ11 going into your house (this disconnects all the house wiring) and plug your test phoine it into the active RJ11 then you should have phone service on that phone. If you don't then the problem is on their side. If you do, the problem is on your side.

Originally posted by Uncle Cracker
    Loring's advice is spot on. I should add emphasis to his direction to use a standard phone, as opposed to one with wireless or answering machine, as these require they be plugged into house power to operate. The simple standard phones are powered from the phone cable entirely. That's what you want to use.
    yes, i meant to say that - use a simple line-powered phone, no power wart, no radio, no nothing
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 12-28-2009, 11:29 PM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
      The Full Monte
      • May 2007
      • Sunshine State
      • BT3000

Loring's advice is spot on. I should add emphasis to his direction to use a standard phone, as opposed to one with wireless or answering machine, as these require they be plugged into house power to operate. The simple standard phones are powered from the phone cable entirely. That's what you want to use.

Comment

• JSUPreston
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2005
        • Montgomery, AL.
        • Delta 36-979 w/Biesemyere fence kit making it a 36-982. Previous saw was BT3100-1.

Raffi, how many phones do you have in the house? I've installed and rewired a few of thos boxes before, and your's is wired up a lot differently that I'm used to seeing.
        "It's a dog eat dog world out there, and I'm wearing Milk-Bone underwear."- Norm (from Cheers)

Eat beef-because the west wasn't won on salad.

Comment

• JSUPreston
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2005
          • Montgomery, AL.
          • Delta 36-979 w/Biesemyere fence kit making it a 36-982. Previous saw was BT3100-1.

BTW: The left side of the box should still be covered. That's considered phone system property. Your responsibility starts at the two RJ11 jacks. If you do call the phone company out, you probably should put the cover back on that left side before they get there...assuming it was covered to begin with.
          "It's a dog eat dog world out there, and I'm wearing Milk-Bone underwear."- Norm (from Cheers)

Eat beef-because the west wasn't won on salad.

Comment

• steve-norrell
            Veteran Member
            • Apr 2006
            • The Great Land - Alaska
            • BT3100-1

Been there, done that.

I had to do what Loren suggested to convince the phone techies that it was the line and not the wiring in my house. Eventually they came and did some kind of a work-around.

Could it be that they are letting land lines deteriorate in the hopes that we would all go wireless. Imagine how much they would save if they had no wires to maintain. (Oops, was that a mini-rant?)

Regards, Steve

Comment

• JoeyGee
              Veteran Member
              • Nov 2005
              • Sylvania, OH, USA.
              • BT3100-1

Is it just me, or is there a lot of corrosion one one of the terminals on the Telco side of that box? Again, I would test the jacks as others have mentioned. If the line is intermittent, I would move that wire around a bit on the corroded side to see if the line drops.
              Joe

Comment

• Tom Slick
                Veteran Member
                • May 2005
                • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
                • sears BT3 clone

I recently had intermittent issues with my telco. I sprayed the terminals and wires with de-ox-it, then loosened and tightened everthing.....fixed!
                Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• Raffi
                  Established Member
                  • Sep 2003
                  • CA, USA.

Thanks for the responses:

-Yes, I plugged a line (old style phone) into the jack, and it worked, only intermittently
                  -I have a phone jack that I rigged to have just the two lines coming out of it, and I touched it to the four "phone company" bolts, again, dead.
                  -When I touched one lead to the ground, and one to one of the two lines for my house I got a faint dial tone and a ton of static (see picture #2)
                  -I opened the left side of the box so I could test the line coming from the telco
                  Attached Files

Comment

• LCHIEN
                    Internet Fact Checker
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Katy, TX, USA.
                    • BT3000 vintage 1999

you're not supposed to touch any of that stuff on the left, Your access is the two RJ11 on the right.
                    Loring in Katy, TX USA
                    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• LinuxRandal
                      Veteran Member
                      • Feb 2005
                      • Independence, MO, USA.
                      • bt3100

The lower right (hard to tell from the picture, but I believe the left). The phone jacks (like your phone plugs into, unless you still have the old four PRONG style). You unplug their plug and plug in your phone.

I can tell you there was intermittent problems over around my parents. My parents were NOT having problems, until the phone company came out. It turned out, they fixed a problem down the street, and forced the cause to find a new home. Mice in the metal junction box.
                      She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• BobSch
                        • Aug 2004
                        • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
                        • BT3100

Unplug the jacks in the box, call the phone co and have them check the line. they should be able to see the fault. From your description of being able to pull a dial tone by touching one side to ground, it sounds like one of the two wires coming in is bad.
                        Bob

Bad decisions make good stories.

Comment

• Raffi
                          Established Member
                          • Sep 2003
                          • CA, USA.

thanks folks, I'll be giving verizon a call

Comment

• David D
                            Forum Newbie
                            • Dec 2009
                            • Richmond, VA

Originally posted by Raffi
                            Thanks for the responses:

-Yes, I plugged a line (old style phone) into the jack, and it worked, only intermittently
                            -I have a phone jack that I rigged to have just the two lines coming out of it, and I touched it to the four "phone company" bolts, again, dead.
                            -When I touched one lead to the ground, and one to one of the two lines for my house I got a faint dial tone and a ton of static (see picture #2)
                            -I opened the left side of the box so I could test the line coming from the telco
                            If you plug into the RJ11 in the TELCO box and you still have a problem, then the problem lies on the TELCO side. You shouldn't have to worry about being charged for anything. The problem will be their responsibility.

Comment

Working...