• Show
Clear All
  • TCOTTLE
    Established Member
    • May 2009
    • Greenbush Maine
    • Ryobi BT3000

Pipe Wrench size?

I do some basic plumbing stuff around the house, and am wondering what size pipe wrench I should get. I found one at lowes for about 10 bucks that is 10" and another that is 11 bucks that is 14". This is just for basic handyman stuff, like the kids filled the drain up with toothpaste etc.
  • Uncle Cracker
    The Full Monte
    • May 2007
    • Sunshine State
    • BT3000

Two factors to consider: 1) You can use a big wrench on a small pipe, but not a small wrench on a larger pipe. 2) If you will likely be wrenching inside cabinets or other enclosed areas, the length of the handle on a larger wrench might cause clearance problems.

That said, most folks get one of each size... (Harbor Freight has a 4-piece set for $19.99 before coupons).
    Last edited by Uncle Cracker; 10-20-2009, 04:28 PM.

Comment

• os1kne
      • Jan 2003
      • Atlanta, GA
      • BT3100

I have a couple of small pipe wrenches, a med. sized one, and a large one. I've found that the 2 small pipe wrenches get used 10x more often than the larger ones. I suppose that the best size for you will depend on what you're most likely to work on. I've added a few gas lines, so the majority of my use has been with smaller sized pipe.
      Bill

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

instead of a pipe wrench, consider getting a larger tongue and groove (goes by the trade name "Channel Locks" - thanks JSUPreston) pliers - i think they are lighter, easier to adjust and all around more useful. I have a pipe wrench but usually find I use the T&Gs first and haven't used the pipe wrench in years. Esp since you'll be encountering more plastic pipe. A 12" T&G will be quite handy. I found a new Irwin Vise-Grip T&G plier last week that has a push button hub for even quicker adjustments.

http://www.irwin.com/irwin/consumer/...2078709_sm.jpg
        Last edited by LCHIEN; 10-20-2009, 10:31 PM.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Ed62
          The Full Monte
          • Oct 2006
          • NW Indiana
          • BT3K

Sometimes you'll find pipes that it just doesn't seem you'll be able to remove because they've been there for a long time and might be rusted. In a case like this, bigger is better.

I have a 14" and an 18". Those have served me well for years. There has been times when I'd have to use a cheater bar with them, but I can't think of anything I couldn't get loose. I also use the wrenches like Loring mentioned. But if you get something that really requires a lot of pressure, I don't think you can beat a pipe wrench. A long cheater bar does miracles.

Ed
          Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• JSUPreston
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2005
            • Montgomery, AL.
            • Delta 36-979 w/Biesemyere fence kit making it a 36-982. Previous saw was BT3100-1.

Loring, I had to look at the picture to make sure I knew what you were talking about. Around here, most folks call those "Channel Lock" pliers. I've got 2 somewhere around her, and you're right, they are great tools.
            "It's a dog eat dog world out there, and I'm wearing Milk-Bone underwear."- Norm (from Cheers)

Eat beef-because the west wasn't won on salad.

Comment

• LCHIEN
              Internet Fact Checker
              • Dec 2002
              • Katy, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by JSUPreston
              Loring, I had to look at the picture to make sure I knew what you were talking about. Around here, most folks call those "Channel Lock" pliers. I've got 2 somewhere around her, and you're right, they are great tools.

yeah, I couldn't think of the name at the time. Channel Lock is a trade name but has become sort of generic.
              Loring in Katy, TX USA
              If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
              BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• herb fellows
                Veteran Member
                • Apr 2007
                • New York City
                • bt3100

The 'trouble' with channel locks is that you have to maintain pressure to keep them on the pipe. With a stillson (plumbers wrench) you 'set it and forget it', and concentrate on turning the pipe.
                However, quality plays a big part in plumbers wrenches. The cheaper ones do not adjust well, and do not hold the adjustment well either. This is one area where I spend 'the big bucks' to get the best tool.
                Also, definitely get a small and a large one. There will be times when having one will frustrate the heck out of you, either because it's not large enough or because it's too large to maneuver under the sink.
                You don't need a parachute to skydive, you only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Comment

• billwmeyer
                  Veteran Member
                  • Feb 2003
                  • Weir, Ks, USA.
                  • BT3000

I always knew the Channel Lock pliers as water pump pliers. I recommend having a pair of these, but if you need to turn a rusted connection on galvanized pipe, you need a pipe wrench. I would also recommend having both sizes. on some connections you will use both. I hate plumbing! I hope you don't ever have to use a pipe wrench.

bill
                  "I just dropped in to see what condition my condition was in."-Kenny Rogers

Comment

Working...