• Show
Clear All
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

leaking disposal

found a nasty wet mess under the kitchen sink.

Upon inspection there was what looks like a couple holes on the side of the disposal body opposite the entry of the diswasher drain pump line. I haven't taken the unit off yet but a small screwdriver blade went through and a flashlight on the side could put a lot of light into the disposal when viewed from the top.

The holes were about 1/8" in diamater, not perfectly round but jagged.
    I suppose that the spraying action of the dishwasher drain pump eroded through the body combined with rust.

It allowed a small trickle when running water into the sink, and a spray when the disposal was run, and probably a lot when the diswasher pumped.

It's 17 years old. Is this common? I've never heard of it.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

Rust through is fairly common in some of the kitchens I've renovated. Seventeen years is pretty good. Time for a new one. They are easy to change.

Comment

• Bruce Cohen
      Veteran Member
      • May 2003
      • Nanuet, NY, USA.
      • BT3100

Loring,

Any appliance that lives 17 years is a minor miracle, be glad it lasted that long.

Home Depot carries Insinkerator brand, their the best, and they all come with in-home warrantees of varing lengths, depending on the cost of the model.

Bruce
      "Western civilization didn't make all men equal,
      Samuel Colt did"

Comment

• cgallery
        Veteran Member
        • Sep 2004
        • Milwaukee, WI
        • BT3K

Must be the day for leaks. Just purchased a new dishwasher today after noticing the old one piddling on the floor.

Got a Bosch. They have something like a $100 rebate if you buy a Bosch dishwasher and garbage disposal at the same time. I have no idea if you need a new dishwasher, or whether their disposals are any good.

Comment

• Jim Frye
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2002
          • Maumee, OH, USA.
          • Ryobi BT3000 & BT3100

Bleeding disposal...

Not uncommon for sink pigs with dishwashers attached. Most dishwasher detergents contain lye and years of that getting discharged into the grind basket will eventually eat through the cast body of the disposal. Many years ago, my dad patched one with hydrolic cement and it lasted for a few years. When you replace the old one, make sure the new one has an epoxy coated or stainless steel grind chamber. That way, the lye will not eat it away. The one in our kitchen is nearly twenty years old and (knock wood) is still solid. It has an epoxy coated grind chamber.
          Last edited by Jim Frye; 10-11-2009, 08:56 PM.
          Jim Frye
          The Nut in the Cellar.
          ”Sawdust Is Man Glitter”

Comment

• LCHIEN
            Internet Fact Checker
            • Dec 2002
            • Katy, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 vintage 1999

So, steel grind basket like the one I had that rusted/corroded through doesn't seem to be available anymore - not even epoxy coated.
            Looks like sub $175 units have PVC grind chamber bodies and
            $199 and up units have stainless steel chambers.

Will PVC last indefinately against everyday dishwasher discharge? Or does it have to be stainless?
            Last edited by LCHIEN; 10-12-2009, 11:56 PM.
            Loring in Katy, TX USA
            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
            BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• RayintheUK
              Veteran Member
              • Sep 2003
              • Crowborough, East Sussex, United Kingdom.
              • Ryobi BT3000

I fitted a batch-fed stainless at my previous home in 1989 and it's still going strong!

Ray
              Did I offend you? Click here.

Comment

• Tom Slick
                Veteran Member
                • May 2005
                • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
                • sears BT3 clone

I have the in-sink-erator "Evolution" base model and it's great. SS grind chamber and is very quiet. Cost about $170 at HD.
                Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• Bruce Cohen
                  Veteran Member
                  • May 2003
                  • Nanuet, NY, USA.
                  • BT3100

Loring,

Don't even think about PVC, buy stainless. When I worked at HD, I sold them. Top model has a 10 Year in home warranty. It's worth the extra dollars.

Bruce
                  "Western civilization didn't make all men equal,
                  Samuel Colt did"

Comment

Working...