Electrical Question - Just Cut It and Leave It?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • crokett
    The Full Monte
    • Jan 2003
    • Mebane, NC, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000

Electrical Question - Just Cut It and Leave It?

The screw in my shop breaker panel that holds the old #4 ground wire to the ground bar is stuck so I can't get the lead out. It is a star-drive screw that was stripped (not by me). It has a slotted head also so I got my biggest screwdriver in there and tried various things including vise grips on the shaft and rapping the handle end of the screwdriver with my hammer. The screw won't budge. I'd rather not admit defeat but is there any problem with just cutting the wire as close to the screw as possible and leaving it? At this point I figure an easy-out or similar even if it works will wreck the screw and I won't be able to use it again anyway.
    David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.
  • Hellrazor
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2003
    • Abyss, PA
    • Ridgid R4512

Cut it off as close as you can and abandon it.

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

as long as you replace it by reconnecting the ground lead to the ground bar, it's ok to just cut it off.
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• gjat
        • Nov 2005
        • Valrico (Tampa), Florida.
        • BT3100

You're safe to leave it, but I would try to drill out the screw so the lead will fall out or try a screw extractor (as long as ALL the power is off in the panel). A new grund bus bar should only be about $10.
        Extraneous 'tabs' hanging out isn't really safe, even if it's a ground. Generally it's a bad policy.

Comment

• crokett
          The Full Monte
          • Jan 2003
          • Mebane, NC, USA.
          • Ryobi BT3000

Thanks fellas. I am just gonna cut the d@mn thing off. I've messed with it for long enough. That is what I wanted to do but figured I'd check and see if it was a really bad idea.
          David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• just started
            • Mar 2008
            • suburban Philly

Just make sure you cut BOTH sides even with the bar and you are fine.

Comment

Working...