• atgcpaul
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2003
    • Maryland
    • Grizzly 1023SLX

16 tons, what do you get?

This is what I'm doing this weekend. I hired an excavator crew to remove
    6-8" soil from nearly 800sf of my yard between the house and the shop. This
    morning I'll be leveling it off to 7-8" below the string, then moving that 19
    tons of paver base in and compacting it. Unfortunately, that's not my
    bobcat. The excavator guy couldn't get it started to load it on his truck.
    It's still high over by the trash can so I've got to do a lot of grading in that
    area. Wish me luck.

• pelligrini
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2007
    • Fort Worth, TX
    • Craftsman 21829

That's crazy, are you a masochist at heart?

I been needing to remove a few inches to lay down some brick pavers in front of a gate and by my wood storage doors. It still hasn't happened yet. I just dread doing that.
    Erik

Comment

• Richard in Smithville
      Veteran Member
      • Oct 2006
      • On the TARDIS
      • BT 3100

Many years ago, dad and I dug out about 400sqft of heavy clay by hand down to around eight inches(included some for gardens). We had no choice as it was in the back of the house and couldn't get anything big enough back there. After we dug and filled the hole, I carried 75 2x2 pavers to the back while my dad leveled them into place.

I was much younger then!
      From the "deep south" part of Canada

Richard in Smithville

http://richardspensandthings.blogspot.com/

Comment

• LinuxRandal
        Veteran Member
        • Feb 2005
        • Independence, MO, USA.
        • bt3100

Another day older and deeper in debt. Now I'll have that song running through my head the rest of the day.
        She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• pelligrini
          Veteran Member
          • Apr 2007
          • Fort Worth, TX
          • Craftsman 21829

That runs through my mind every morning on the way to work.
          Erik

Comment

• dbhost
            Slow and steady
            • Apr 2008
            • League City, Texas
            • Ryobi BT3100

what exactly is paver base? In these parts it's a 2 stage sort of deal. made of finely crushed concrete and sand. Once that is compacted and level you lay the pavers down making any necessary adjustments to level the pavers, Sand & sweep...
            Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• Hellrazor
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2003
              • Abyss, PA
              • Ridgid R4512

Originally posted by dbhost
              what exactly is paver base? In these parts it's a 2 stage sort of deal. made of finely crushed concrete and sand. Once that is compacted and level you lay the pavers down making any necessary adjustments to level the pavers, Sand & sweep...
              In this area it is 4-6" of compacted 2A modified stone and an inch of sand. The depth of the stone is determined by the planned use for the area.

Comment

• dbhost
                Slow and steady
                • Apr 2008
                • League City, Texas
                • Ryobi BT3100

So pretty much the same thing then. 2A modified stone vs. the same sized crushed concrete. There are incentives here for using recycled materials, not the least of which is that crushed concrete costs about 1/4 of new stone.

That is a LOT of material to move by hand. Got any high school or college kids in the neighborhood needing to earn some bucks over the summer? They can be a big help when shovel operation is required...

As soon as the temps go back down a bit, I need to grab a couple of the neighbor kids to help dig out some stumps...
                Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• x00018
                  Forum Newbie
                  • Mar 2006
                  • Cranberry Twp, PA
                  • Sears BT3000 Clone

The excavator guy couldn't get it started to load it on his truck.

Hand him a beer when he gets it started and tell him there is more where that came from

Comment

• cgallery
                    Veteran Member
                    • Sep 2004
                    • Milwaukee, WI
                    • BT3K

Originally posted by x00018
                    The excavator guy couldn't get it started to load it on his truck.

Hand him a beer when he gets it started and tell him there is more where that came from
                    +1.

If he can get it in the center of the yard so you only have to spread it out, you've just saved yourself a ton of work.

Comment

Working...