4' x 8' x 6' box in the yard, but could it be called a shed?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

4' x 8' x 6' box in the yard, but could it be called a shed?

Okay here is yet another dumb idea... I have PLENTY of scrap construction lumber to build a basic 4x8 footprint, 6' tall box with a simple slant roof and a single door. I am planning on simply calling it a storage box. No foundation to speak of, but more along the lines of a tall deck box to keep the mower, weed eater, wheel barrow, etc... in.

Now would I need to present this to the HOA as it honestly is sized where I *could* slide it up into the bed of my truck and haul it off... So is that something that could possibly be considered a shed, or is that a storage box?
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.
  • poolhound
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2006
    • Phoenix, AZ
    • BT3100

Originally posted by dbhost
    Okay here is yet another dumb idea... I have PLENTY of scrap construction lumber to build a basic 4x8 footprint, 6' tall box with a simple slant roof and a single door. I am planning on simply calling it a storage box. No foundation to speak of, but more along the lines of a tall deck box to keep the mower, weed eater, wheel barrow, etc... in.

Now would I need to present this to the HOA as it honestly is sized where I *could* slide it up into the bed of my truck and haul it off... So is that something that could possibly be considered a shed, or is that a storage box?
    Thats one of the reasons I HATE HOAs - but dont get me started

I guess it depends wether it can be seen from off your property, if not go for it.
    Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
    techzibits.com

Comment

• cabinetman
      Gone but not Forgotten RIP
      • Jun 2006
      • So. Florida
      • Delta

I don't live in a HOA, but we do have code enforcement driving around just looking. Usually it's a nosey neighbor that turns in a complaint. Whether it's a storage box or a shed could be just a semantical discussion. I thought of doing something similar, but, in the end it's all what "they" want to call it.

Comment

• DaveS
        • May 2003
        • Minneapolis,MN

So, I am assuming that a "shed" would not be allowed, but a "storage box" is allowed?

I would say that a "shed" has a door on the front.

A "storage box" has a door as the lid.

Comment

• dbhost
          Slow and steady
          • Apr 2008
          • League City, Texas
          • Ryobi BT3100

Nope, shed is allowed, just more B.S. to go through. Storage boxes are all over the neighborhood and nothing in the Covenants and Restrictions even mentions them.... Kind of an oversight. I would think a shed would be tall enough to stand up in. With a total overall height of 6' to the peak, and an interior height of around 5' 6" I certainly can't stand up in that.

If I keep them small and retain the ability to move them, I can put them along the back fence, where I otherwise can't build due to easement. This way I can have my storage, use otherwise wasted space, keep the wife happy, and not annoy the HOA...
          Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• pelligrini
            Veteran Member
            • Apr 2007
            • Fort Worth, TX
            • Craftsman 21829

Unless there is a definition of a shed in the HOA docs, it would probably be called a shed. Maybe mount some rails on the sides and say that they are handles if anyone complains.

I'd say just build it, and then deal with the HOA if they want to ***** about it. Be cafeful about ticking them off though, it can be remembered down the line with future dealings.

Whatever you do, make the lowest rafter at least a couple inches above your height. If you don't, you'll really regret it later.
            Erik

Comment

• rjwaldren
              Established Member
              • Nov 2007
              • Fresno, CA

In addition to the door hinge the slant roof so it's clearly a box. Like a larger version of this rubbermaid box.

http://www.amazon.com/Rubbermaid-Hor...5796303&sr=8-3

Oop, they call it a shed!

Comment

• pelligrini
                Veteran Member
                • Apr 2007
                • Fort Worth, TX
                • Craftsman 21829

Originally posted by rjwaldren
                In addition to the door hinge the slant roof so it's clearly a box.
                Yea, put a shed roof on the box that's not supposed to be a shed.

Maybe big letters painted on the side "My Storage Box"
                Erik

Comment

• atgcpaul
                  Veteran Member
                  • Aug 2003
                  • Maryland
                  • Grizzly 1023SLX

Beyond your HOA, your city or local government might require you to apply
                  for a permit for this "shed". Mine does.

Here's what ours has to say:

http://permittingservices.montgomery...Guidelines.pdf

Comment

• LinuxRandal
                    Veteran Member
                    • Feb 2005
                    • Independence, MO, USA.
                    • bt3100

You would need to check with both your local codes, and have a lawyer look for (in the contract, or state law) what denotes a shed.

SInce you talked about handles, how about wheels, and make something like:

http://www.tow-n-stow.com/
                    She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• rjwaldren
                      Established Member
                      • Nov 2007
                      • Fresno, CA

Originally posted by rjwaldren
                      In addition to the door hinge the slant roof so it's clearly a box. Like a larger version of this rubbermaid box.

http://www.amazon.com/Rubbermaid-Hor...5796303&sr=8-3

Oop, they call it a shed!
                      I just reread that, it wasn't very clear - I mean hinge the top so it opens like a box. I do like to tow-n-stow idea - just bolt some 10" harbor freight wheels to the side, there's no way it could be a shed.

Comment

• just started
                        • Mar 2008
                        • suburban Philly

Hinge the top, then hinge the side to the top so it opens like an antique car hood.

Comment

• Gator95
                          Established Member
                          • Jan 2008
                          • Atlanta GA
                          • Ridgid 3660

If it looks nice and is in a location that doesn't look goofy, it's a storage box. If it's an ugly a$$ eyesore then it's a shed.

BTW- HOA's that are strict are great in my book. Wish ours was more active, we have some homes in our neighborhood that look like crap.

Comment

• dbhost
                            Slow and steady
                            • Apr 2008
                            • League City, Texas
                            • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by pelligrini
                            Unless there is a definition of a shed in the HOA docs, it would probably be called a shed. Maybe mount some rails on the sides and say that they are handles if anyone complains.

I'd say just build it, and then deal with the HOA if they want to ***** about it. Be cafeful about ticking them off though, it can be remembered down the line with future dealings.

Whatever you do, make the lowest rafter at least a couple inches above your height. If you don't, you'll really regret it later.
                            Actually, the intent is as an overgrown box. I should have specified. Yes, hinged top. I have some sketches down and am going to work it up in Sketchup. I am talking to the HOA about it, and it sounds like they are cool with it. The city might be a different story...

Comment

• dbhost
                              Slow and steady
                              • Apr 2008
                              • League City, Texas
                              • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by just started
                              Hinge the top, then hinge the side to the top so it opens like an antique car hood.
                              Wish it was in sketchup already...

It's going to be hinged at the top, on the short side opposite the door, the doors will swing to the side... Kind of like a late 90's Chevy Astro van rear dutch door arrangement...

Comment

Working...