• Show
Clear All
  • crokett
    The Full Monte
    • Jan 2003
    • Mebane, NC, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000

Laying Out the Shop Foundation

I will be laying out the piers for the shop this week and plan to dig and pour this this weekend. What are some simple ways to ensure that the piers are straight and square? I planned on marking the corners with stakes, then the sides with string between the stakes but want to ensure everything is square.
    David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by crokett
    I will be laying out the piers for the shop this week and plan to dig and pour this this weekend. What are some simple ways to ensure that the piers are straight and square? I planned on marking the corners with stakes, then the sides with string between the stakes but want to ensure everything is square.
    Uh...

Never done this myself, But I have the B&D Contemporary Sheds book (the same one that Lowes has, I got the current version from a neighbor's garage sale. He built his and the got rid of the book). I know it has a chapter on pier & beam foundations... I think you have to set up some kind of cross piece to run chalk line from...
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• jlake1998
      Forum Newbie
      • Mar 2006
      • Washington
      • BT3100

For finding square you can use A squared + B squared = C squared. Example if you fold your printer paper in half, the lengths are 5.5 squared + 8.5 squared or 30.25 +72.25 = 102.45. now measure the diagional measurement is 10 1/8 or 10.125 , I am slightly off being perfect with my measurement.

The level can be done with a spinning laser although i have not used one. Another method is a water level. Get a clear plastic hose a few feet longer than the length of your foundation. Fill it with water place each end at each foundations corner the water level will be the same height at both ends provided the rest of the hose is lower elevation. Best to do with a helper, you will have several inches at the end of the hose that will not have water, this way the water has room to vary and reach level

Comment

• jabe
        • Apr 2006
        • Hilo, Hawaii
        • Ryobi BT3000 & Delta Milwaukee 10" tilting Table circular saw

Errect your batter boards for each corner, all batter boards must be on the same level plane. Next run your strings and use the 3-4-5 method, U can expand if it's a big layout 6-8-10 etc. to square it. Would help if U know how to use a builders level or transit level. It used take me about 3-4 wks to teach this to my students. Water level is a good way if budget is a concern or rent a laser level much faster & it's a 1 man operation. Be sure to locate the bldg. so it'll meet code regarding set back from your property line. Recommend u borrow or buy these books "Carpentry " written by William A. Buttery & H. G. Miller, published by South Western or "Modern Carpentry" written by Wagner, Published by Goodheart-Wilcox. Putting up a building on post & piers are a little more involved than slab on grade. Good Luck!

Comment

• pelligrini
          Veteran Member
          • Apr 2007
          • Fort Worth, TX
          • Craftsman 21829

Setting up batter boards would be much better than setting a single stake at the corner and running the string lines off it. Here's a one example: http://cedarshed.com/foundations.html

Like the other have said, use a little simple geometry for the right angles.

Checking for square is easy. Just do it like you would in woodworking; match the diagonals.
          Erik

Comment

• crokett
            The Full Monte
            • Jan 2003
            • Mebane, NC, USA.
            • Ryobi BT3000

Thanks for the tips fellas. That is exactly what I needed.
            David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• Eric
              • Jun 2003
              • Cocolalla, ID
              • Grizzly G0691 & BT3100

We figured out the hypotenuse for the shop when we were laying it out to help square the building foundation. We also used a laser level that a friend had to help setup the batter boards.

Comment

• jonmulzer
                • Dec 2007
                • Indianapolis, IN

Originally posted by jlake1998
                For finding square you can use A squared + B squared = C squared. Example if you fold your printer paper in half, the lengths are 5.5 squared + 8.5 squared or 30.25 +72.25 = 102.45. now measure the diagional measurement is 10 1/8 or 10.125 , I am slightly off being perfect with my measurement.
                Way too complicated and really easy to mess up. Measure your sides, if they are all equal then check your diagonals. If they are equal, you are square. No math besides remembering a number.

Set your batter boards where the center of them is somewhat close to being on line. Either make some "L" clips or purchase some masons clips. It makes it a lot easier to rearrange your lines. A small amount of trial and error is all it takes once you get a hang of it.
                "A fine beer may be judged with just one sip, but it is better to be thoroughly sure"

Comment

Working...