• Show
Clear All
  • crokett
    The Full Monte
    • Jan 2003
    • Mebane, NC, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000

Lubing Squeaky Door Hinge

What to use? Standard door hinge. The ones on my youngest's room squeak. I've tried WD-40 and some silicone spray. Neither one lasted more than two weeks.
    David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.
  • Ed62
    The Full Monte
    • Oct 2006
    • NW Indiana
    • BT3K

It sounds like you've got a tough one. Maybe a little Vaseline?

Ed
    Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• Tom Slick
      Veteran Member
      • May 2005
      • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
      • sears BT3 clone

try a drip of oil. neither WD-40 or silicone spray are long term lubricants.
      Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

TRy a drop of 3-in-one oil or similar. place it at the point just below the hinge pin. Allow it to wick into the pin and hinge, it will take a bit of time and working the door.
        \
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Daryl
          • May 2004

I have had good luck with a dab of paste wax on the moving parts.
          Sometimes the old man passed out and left the am radio on so I got to hear the oldie songs and current event kind of things

Comment

• Mr__Bill
            Veteran Member
            • May 2007
            • Tacoma, WA
            • BT3000

Try pulling the pin and cleaning the rust off, inside too. Then a dab of wheel bearing grease (something every woodworker has for some odd reason), coat the pin and push some down in the holes. Should stop the squeak and make it work real smooth. Great for slamming doors.

Be sure to wipe off any excess. White Lithium Grease works too but not as well, but it does not leave a black stain when it squeezes out and gets on clothing.

Bill

Comment

• shoottx
              Veteran Member
              • May 2008
              • Plano, Texas
              • BT3000

Corrosion X

It is the only lube I use any more.

http://www.corrosionx.com/
              Often in error - Never in doubt

Mike

Comment

• RodKirby
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2002
                • Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.
                • Mao Shan TSC-10RAS

I use ONLY INOX and LANOX for lubrication. Once you try it you will never use anything else!

No silicone, no smell, does not stain, does not evaporate - lasts and lasts.

ANYWHERE two surfaces move against each other

http://www.inox-mx3.com/inox.htm

DESCRIPTION / TECHNICAL Lanolin is a natural wax found in animal wool especially the wool from sheep, commonly referred as 'WOOL FAT' or 'WOOL GREASE', it has wide spread uses, cosmetics, medical, soaps, etc. Down through the centuries the Egyptians, Romans, Vikings, sailors and soldiers alike all used lanolin as a very effective anti- corrosion and waterproofing agent for a variety of metals, materials, timbers, to protect sails, leather, cannons, etc. Although we make INOX, a quality anti-corrosion lubricant, there are areas where a lanolin based anti-corrosion lubricant like LANOX is sometimes better suited for the application at hand.
                LANOX is a heavy duty anti-moisture, anti-corrosion lubricant made with a high grade lubricating oil and lanolin base with specialized chemical compounds.
                LANOX contains no silicon, kerosene, acids or dieselene.
                LANOX is harmless to metal points & surfaces, plastics, painted & enamel finishes, fibreglass, formica, rubber or neoprene seals.
                LANOX doesn't become sticky, gooey or gum up.
                LANOX is non-conductive, non-static & non-corrosive.
                LANOX has neutral properties, low flammability (NON-AEROSOL)
                LANOX DOESN'T DRY OUT OR WASH OFF WITH WATER
                Downunder ... 1" = 25.4mm

Comment

• eezlock
                  • Feb 2006
                  • Charlotte,N.C.
                  • BT3100

squeaky door hinge

Remove the hinge pins from the hinges, clean them with a scotchbrite pad or
                  steelwool and lubricate them with spray lithium lube. It is usually found in an aerosol spray can at the hardware store. I use this same lube to coat the track and wheels on my overhead garage door in the shop...keeps that door
                  rolling up and down a lot smoother than anything else I have ever used.
                  eezlock

Comment

• cabinetman
                    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                    • Jun 2006
                    • So. Florida
                    • Delta

Here's the fix of fixes:

Remove the pin and coat lightly with a fine lapping compound. Insert pin back into the hinge and turn manually for several revolutions. Then remove the pin, clean the pin and the holes in the hinge. then coat the pin and the holes with molybdenum disulfide (MoS2). Then install hinge parts and the pin and swing away.

Comment

• MilDoc

I use LockEase - same stuff made for locks. Messy, but lasts years and years and years and years.....

Comment

Working...