• Show
Clear All
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

Fence/Foliage Problem

On one side of the house which is all windows, we want to improve our view. Our neighbor has a "fence system" which is inside of his property line, which is about 10' from our house.

The fence was at one time a 4' high chain link, and then at a later time a 6' high wood stockade fence was added on the neighbors side. So, when we look at it, we see both fences, which are together.

We've been trying to decide what to do. We thought about maybe planting something decorative, but there's about 60' of it. Whatever we do there, we don't want to use up a lot of space, as there is only 10' to start with. At the front of the house, 20' of the 60' is a border to our driveway.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
  • MikeMcCoy
    • Nov 2004
    • Moncks Corner, SC, USA.
    • Delta Contractor Saw

When I lived in Pensacola I had good luck with Confederate Jasmine. It's fairly easy to control on your side but eventually it will overwhelm your neighbors fence.

Comment

• dbhost
      Slow and steady
      • Apr 2008
      • League City, Texas
      • Ryobi BT3100

Eh, plant a line of Pecan trees... You will eventually get a really nice shady canopy, all the Pecans you can stand, and when the time comes, plenty of lumber to work with!
      Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• crokett
        The Full Monte
        • Jan 2003
        • Mebane, NC, USA.
        • Ryobi BT3000

Well....

Here people plant leland cyprus to act as border. Problem is they will grow upwards of 30' unless you cut them back ad I do not think there is room between the chain link and your driveway. Do you want the 6' fence blocked too? Have you considered getting flowering vines and planting them to grow on the chain link fence. When they grow in and flower they will hide the fence somewhat. They will also fit between the fence and your driveway.
        David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• jlm
          Established Member
          • Oct 2005
          • Austin, TX

Since the chain link is on your side, it sounds like a good choice for a climbing vine. I had two passion vines at my old house that started as tiny little clipping from a larger vine. Three years later, the vines were more than 25 feet long, and very voluminous. This was in the Chicago area, so I imagine they'd grow even faster in Florida. You could probably have all 60' of fence covered in a year or two with six or eight healthy starter vines. They expand pretty quickly, so you have to be kind of vigilant with the little seedling vines that pop up to keep them under control, but they have very shallow roots, so you can just pluck them up by hand when they're small.

The flowers are very exotic looking, and smell great:
          Attached Files

Comment

• cabinetman
            Gone but not Forgotten RIP
            • Jun 2006
            • So. Florida
            • Delta

Originally posted by jlm
            Since the chain link is on your side, it sounds like a good choice for a climbing vine. I had two passion vines at my old house that started as tiny little clipping from a larger vine. Three years later, the vines were more than 25 feet long, and very voluminous. This was in the Chicago area, so I imagine they'd grow even faster in Florida. You could probably have all 60' of fence covered in a year or two with six or eight healthy starter vines. They expand pretty quickly, so you have to be kind of vigilant with the little seedling vines that pop up to keep them under control, but they have very shallow roots, so you can just pluck them up by hand when they're small.

The flowers are very exotic looking, and smell great:

I was hoping to come up with an idea that was a little faster than that. I don't have a green thumb. I need plants that thrive on neglect. I've even had artificial plants die from over watering, or too much light.

Comment

• leehljp
              Just me
              • Dec 2002
              • Tunica, MS
              • BT3000/3100

You want fast? Kudzu!

On the tree issue - if I read between the lines you don't want something that takes up more space and trees will. It won't be long before you will be dealing with tree limbs on his side and your side. DAMHIKT.

While you may not want to wait two or three years, that is probably the best course. Buy a dozen or two or more vines and set them out. In a year, you will be surprised.
              Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• southernbob
                Forum Newbie
                • Jan 2008
                • South Florida

Use your woodworking skills to build an out-of-ordinary fence (AKA fancy fence) and
                plant palm trees in front of it (Christmas palms for height and pygmy date palms for low. Flower boxes/small fountain can be added.
                Stay away from a ficus hedge as whiteflys are killing them.

Sun Sentinel columns on passion vines:

From today Sun_Sentinel gardening Q&A
                Can passion vine be planted outside in a pot or in the ground?

Passion vine can be planted outside in the ground. The vine can be aggressive and sucker all over the yard. Locate it where it can be controlled in a sunny spot.

From a previous column on passion vine
                http://www.sun-sentinel.com/features...2305642.column
                Last edited by southernbob; 10-03-2008, 02:19 PM.

Comment

Working...