• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ocala
    Handtools only
    • Jul 2008

New pressure treated wood

Hey guys.
    Just got done ripping up my decks. Put down new PT wood. It was done in stages so after the wood was screwed down it sat untreated from 2 weeks to a month. I put an oil base stain on and it looked beautiful. Problem is after about 2-3 weeks water doesn't beed up on it anymore. Why is this?
    I called the manufacturer, Olympic, and they didn't have an answer either.
    Please tell me I didn't screw up somehow.
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

i'm confused...
    Is it pressure treated wood that comes that way (CCA or ACQ impregnated under pressure) in which case how can it be put down two weeks before being treated.

Or, did you just use ordinary lumber, then treated it with wood preservative like Thompsons Water Seal or the Olympic equivalent, in which case its not really "Pressure" Treated.

or did you put water seal on PT wood?
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 07-11-2008, 03:33 PM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• ocala
      Handtools only
      • Jul 2008

Yes, it regular PT wood. I meant that I didn't stain it until about 2 weeks after it was screwed in.

Comment

• Hellrazor
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2003
        • Abyss, PA
        • Ridgid R4512

Was your PT stamped KDAT by any chance? Kiln dried PT tends to really soak up whatever you put on it.

Comment

• ocala
          Handtools only
          • Jul 2008

Not sure. I sanded off all the stamps when I was done. I did find a part of a board I cut in half that either said "STAND KDHT" or "STAND KDIIT"

Comment

• dlminehart
            Veteran Member
            • Jul 2003
            • San Jose, CA, USA.

I'm a neophyte to decks, but isn't it the case that only the posts, and any beams within about a foot of the ground, actually need to be done using PT wood? Isn't the PT primarily to fend off stuff like termites and fungus that come from the ground? Or maybe your deck is a really low one?
            - David

“Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.” -- Oscar Wilde

Comment

• ocala
              Handtools only
              • Jul 2008

I live in North Central Florida and the summer time sun is a killer. Not to mention the heavy rain and yes, bugs too. The decks are about 80% exposed to the sun and those UV rays will deteriorate the wood very quickly. The PT helps it last longer then standard wood.

Comment

• Hellrazor
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2003
                • Abyss, PA
                • Ridgid R4512

KDAT = Kiln dried after treatment.
                KDHT = Kiln dried heat treated

Comment

• Hellrazor
                  Veteran Member
                  • Dec 2003
                  • Abyss, PA
                  • Ridgid R4512

Originally posted by dlminehart
                  I'm a neophyte to decks, but isn't it the case that only the posts, and any beams within about a foot of the ground, actually need to be done using PT wood? Isn't the PT primarily to fend off stuff like termites and fungus that come from the ground? Or maybe your deck is a really low one?
                  You west coasters have redwood to play with. Us poor east coast people only have PT or cedar.

I frame everything with PT and then use 5/4 bullnose PT, cedar or composites for the decking. I prefer KDAT for framing of decks.

Comment

• docrowan
                    • Mar 2007
                    • New Albany, MS
                    • BT3100

In Mississippi, I'd use PT or exterior grade for everything that will stay outside. I wouldn't want to run the risk of giving termites a foothold.

Is KDAT available at the BORG? I haven't had cause to build anything with it yet, but idle shopping hasn't revealed any to me.
                    - Chris.

Comment

• dlminehart
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jul 2003
                      • San Jose, CA, USA.

Well, I still don't see how PT would help fend off UV damage. After all, it's just a chemical toxic to lower life forms but not to us superior creatures, right? And the pressure just forces the chemical deeper into the wood. As for using PT for everything outside . . . I don't think they use it for framing houses, roof studs, and the like. Only sill plates and stuff close to the ground.
                      - David

“Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.” -- Oscar Wilde

Comment

• Hellrazor
                        Veteran Member
                        • Dec 2003
                        • Abyss, PA
                        • Ridgid R4512

Originally posted by docrowan
                        Is KDAT available at the BORG? I haven't had cause to build anything with it yet, but idle shopping hasn't revealed any to me.
                        I buy that at a lumber yard. I never noticed that any of the box stores carry it.

Comment

• Hellrazor
                          Veteran Member
                          • Dec 2003
                          • Abyss, PA
                          • Ridgid R4512

Originally posted by dlminehart
                          I don't think they use it for framing houses, roof studs, and the like. Only sill plates and stuff close to the ground.
                          It is used for sill plates on home construction. It can be used for rim joists when a split level house is too close to grade. House framing, trusses, etc are all protected by the weatherproofing of the siding & roofing materials.

Comment

• jhart
                            Veteran Member
                            • Feb 2004
                            • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
                            • BT3100

Ocala

Just restained my deck with the Olympic a couple of weeks ago (built 8 years ago and restained a couple of times since then) and the same thing happens on mine. Parts of it will still bead up, but most of it doesn't anymore. Seems like it soaks in. Still seems to give protection though. Haven't had any rotting/problems since building it.
                            Joe
                            "All things are difficult before they are easy"

Comment

Working...