• Show
Clear All
  • crokett
    The Full Monte
    • Jan 2003
    • Mebane, NC, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000

Fixing motion detector light

The motion detector light over my in-laws' garage stays on all the time. Is it worth trying to replace the photocell/motion detector sensor or just replace the light?
    David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.
  • RAFlorida
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2008
    • Green Swamp in Central Florida. Gator property!
    • Ryobi BT3000

Prices being as low as they are now,

it's just as easy and quicker to just replace the fixture. When ever the light stays on all the time, it is the sensor head gone bad. Good luck in your choice.

Comment

• parnelli
      • Aug 2004
      • bt3100

Originally posted by RAFlorida
      it's just as easy and quicker to just replace the fixture. When ever the light stays on all the time, it is the sensor head gone bad. Good luck in your choice.
      Agreeed. You can replace the sensor part, but it's only about 2 dollars less than the whole thing so it really doesn't make any sense.

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

if its an older light fixture intended for the 4" floodlights, then the sockets may not accept the new fluorescent spots which have a bigger bulge just above the base.
        I have gotten some replacement fixtures for my outdoor lighting I intend to install RSN that will accept these inevitable fluorescent bulbs.

The point being get the new fixture, not just replace the sensor part.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• williwatt
          Established Member
          • Aug 2007
          • Springfield, TN
          • Sears 21829

Originally posted by crokett
          The motion detector light over my in-laws' garage stays on all the time. Is it worth trying to replace the photocell/motion detector sensor or just replace the light?
          I have two motion detector lights that will stay on all the time after there is an electrical outage. To reset them you have turn the light off for at least 5 seconds and then turn it back on. It then works correctly again. Could this be the problem?

Comment

• pelligrini
            Veteran Member
            • Apr 2007
            • Fort Worth, TX
            • Craftsman 21829

I was wondering the same as williwatt. Most of the motion sensor lights have a always on feature that if you turn it off and back on quickly it will remain on.
            Erik

Comment

• crokett
              The Full Monte
              • Jan 2003
              • Mebane, NC, USA.
              • Ryobi BT3000

Willi,

That was the first question I asked. He already tried this.

We will replace the fixture. I thought it was possible to replace a sensor but wasn't sure on the cost.
              David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

Working...