• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GaryA
    Established Member
    • Dec 2004
    • Tampa, FL, USA.

Best glue to fix plastic?

Is Super Glue the way to go, or some sort of epoxy or resin? Wifes favorite "Magic Bullet" blender - the main plastic gear that intercepts the blender bottom cracked in 3 clean pieces. Pretty lame that it is plastic to begin with. Anyways, really dont want to spend $60 for replacement (guess I could look into replacement part worse case)... BTW - this thing is great! Any ideas? Thanks
    Gary
  • MilDoc

Way too many types of plastic. My first choice is epoxy. Glued, clamped, and left alone for 48 hrs. no matter what the label says!

Comment

• Stytooner
      Roll Tide RIP Lee
      • Dec 2002
      • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
      • BT3100

Probably good advice there. I glue up polycarbonate using solvent, but the kicker is I dispense this solvent through plastic syringes. It has no effect on that plastic at all. You need to be sure that the epoxy says it is for plastics as well as other items. Most do not include plastics. Plastics is a widely encompassing term and not always very accurate.
      Lee

Comment

• Richard in Smithville
        Veteran Member
        • Oct 2006
        • On the TARDIS
        • BT 3100

I can't remember which forum that I got this from, or who first posted it, but try This To That .
        From the "deep south" part of Canada

Richard in Smithville

http://richardspensandthings.blogspot.com/

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

There are a ton of plastic types. if you can get a solvent based (aceetone-based liek Duco cement or model airplane glues) glue to work, then that provides the best solution.

www.this to that.com is not much use, they also say there's too many kinds of plastic.
          Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Tom Slick
            Veteran Member
            • May 2005
            • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
            • sears BT3 clone

what about model glue? most plastic "glues" including model glues, PVC, and ABS cements actually melt the plastic which makes a superior bond. as lee mentioned MEK, tolulene, acetone can work very well for gluing/melting plastics together.

If you use epoxy keep in mind that the slower the epoxy sets the better adhesion/bond it creates.
            Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

Working...