Clear All
  • sparkeyjames
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007
    • Redford MI.
    • Craftsman 21829

Rat wall

Originally posted by bfrikken
    Today I called the closest Concrete ready mix hauler by me. They quoted me around 111 bucks a yard delivered. That's just over 2.5 yards for 12x16 slab. Not bad, so I'll probably plan on digging it myself, building the forms and having them deliver the concrete.

This past weekend I walked my yard and figured out where I'll put the shed. I'm starting to get excited now.
    Let me warn you that in some areas CODE requires a rat wall of 24" depth on any cement slab on which a building will set. If you build it and they find out you did not put in a rat wall they can make you tear it out. Please check with your local building office for any rules you may need to follow. Such as getting permits etc.
    Last edited by sparkeyjames; 04-12-2008, 05:32 AM.

Comment

• bfrikken
      • Apr 2005
      • Michigan, USA.
      • BT-3100

Originally posted by sparkeyjames
      Let me warn you that in some areas CODE requires a rat wall of 24" depth on any cement slab on which a building will set. If you build it and they find out you did not put in a rat wall they can make you tear it out. Please check with your local building office for any rules you may need to follow. Such as getting permits etc.
      If I go over 200 sq feet, this is the case.

Comment

• atgcpaul
        Veteran Member
        • Aug 2003
        • Maryland
        • Grizzly 1023SLX

Check out the most recent issue of Fine Home Building. One of the articles
        inside goes over building a shed quickly and rather inexpensively.

Paul

Comment

• gordons
          Established Member
          • Aug 2003
          • Charlotte, NC, USA.
          • Ryobi BT3100

I am also in the process of planning a lean-to shed backing onto my garage and bought this book. It's full of very useful ideas, tips and tricks. IMHO it was worth spending the $20 that will hopefully save me a lot of trouble.
          http://store.taunton.com/onlinestore...ni-070684.html
          Gordon
          I'd rather be a hammer than a nail

Comment

• iceman61
            • Oct 2007
            • West TN
            • Bosch 4100-09

Originally posted by bfrikken
            Today I called the closest Concrete ready mix hauler by me. They quoted me around 111 bucks a yard delivered. That's just over 2.5 yards for 12x16 slab. Not bad, so I'll probably plan on digging it myself, building the forms and having them deliver the concrete.

This past weekend I walked my yard and figured out where I'll put the shed. I'm starting to get excited now.
            Word of advise: make sure you get that slab level on top, or as close to level as you can. If you don't you will be compensating with the rest of the building. (walls, roof...)

It is also alot easier to drill holes in the slab with a good hammer drill & drive in anchor bolts when you get ready to put the walls up than setting L-anchor bolts in the wet concrete. The L-anchor bolt are a huge hassle plus I had to cut about half of them even with the slab because of plan changes & some of them were hitting right where the studs were. YMMV

Comment

• siliconbauhaus
              • Dec 2006
              • hagerstown, md

Here's what I was working on the past week
              http://flickr.com/photos/kreesta67/s...7604506535605/

Its a outdoor office for a photographer in Long Beach. Weather permitting (its chucking it down today) the rest of the roof will go on tomorrow. Then it will be onto joinery items. As soon as its all finished it will be disassembled and put on a truck and I'll be erecting it on site.
              パトリック
              daiku woodworking
              ^deshi^
              neoshed

Comment

• bfrikken
                • Apr 2005
                • Michigan, USA.
                • BT-3100

Originally posted by siliconbauhaus
                Here's what I was working on the past week
                http://flickr.com/photos/kreesta67/s...7604506535605/

Its a outdoor office for a photographer in Long Beach. Weather permitting (its chucking it down today) the rest of the roof will go on tomorrow. Then it will be onto joinery items. As soon as its all finished it will be disassembled and put on a truck and I'll be erecting it on site.
                Very nice, thanks for the pics.

Comment

• siliconbauhaus
                  • Dec 2006
                  • hagerstown, md

Thanks.

SIP's are a great way to go. Just make sure you have more than 2 people for the roof or hire a crane.
                  パトリック
                  daiku woodworking
                  ^deshi^
                  neoshed

Comment

• jonmulzer
                    • Dec 2007
                    • Indianapolis, IN

Originally posted by gordons
                    I am also in the process of planning a lean-to shed backing onto my garage and bought this book. It's full of very useful ideas, tips and tricks. IMHO it was worth spending the $20 that will hopefully save me a lot of trouble.
                    http://store.taunton.com/onlinestore...ni-070684.html
                    Or $10.

http://www.bookcloseouts.com/default...6B&Rt=4&Nty1=1
                    "A fine beer may be judged with just one sip, but it is better to be thoroughly sure"

Comment

Working...