• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bfrikken
    • Apr 2005
    • Michigan, USA.
    • BT-3100

Building a shed

I'm trying to convince my wife to build a shed. Budget would be the approximate amount we'd get back with the tax rebate (1800 if i understand it correctly).

It will probably house my tools for a while until we ultimately add on a proposed 3rd stall/workshop area.

anyways, I settled on this rough set of material plans for a 12x16 gable storage shed:

One thing that I noticed is the use of 4x4 posts as the skid foundation. I was originally considering using those cement pyramid foundation (post footings i think they are called).
    Should I be considering one over the other for a reason. I think pouring a cement foundation is going to be out of my budget.

I'm just trying to put together a budget, so I'll have plenty more questions as I go.
  • JR
    The Full Monte
    • Feb 2004
    • Eugene, OR
    • BT3000

Coupla questions:

What size do you intend it to be?
    Do you need electrical power?
    Do you propose to work in there?
    Is there a style you prefer?
    Have you checked with the city/county re: codes? (My town has literature describing size and setback requirements, with and without the need for permits.)

JR
    JR

Comment

• rnelson0
      Established Member
      • Feb 2008
      • Midlothian, VA (Richmond)
      • Firestorm FS2500TS

I think pouring a cement foundation is going to be out of my budget.
      Take a look at local codes. Pouring a cement foundation makes it a permanent structure. If it's on skids, a skirt, blocks, etc., it's not a permanent structure. This may affect whether you need a permit and what kind of electricity can be run to the shed, if any at all. I opted for a shed-on-a-skirt with a single 120v outlet for my plans, but alas, we moved before I began.

I would recommand a book like "Sheds and Garages" or "The Basic Shed Manual" - basically whatever's in your local B&N self-help section - and examine different plans, layouts, styles, artistic touches, foundations, etc.

As always, look at additional tool outlays. There's some 1700 or so nails in that materials guide. You want to buy/rent/borrow a nailgun that can handle large size nails, possibly two nailers. That, or use screws instead - most of us already own drills. I always thought it funny that the pictures in the books would show a guy with a hammer in his hand. No effin' way I'm hammering 1700 nails! I like my arms attached, please!

For the foundation, keep in mind that you have floor support as well as foundation. The 4x4's are for foundation with some 2x4 crossbeams. You'll probably need additional supports unless you have a totally flat area - and why would you have been looking for posts if it was flat? You'll also have to build a ramp, which isn't included in that materials guide, and have some material to cover the skirt so animals and little kids can't get stuck under there, die, smell bad and generally ruin your day.

In fact, for a 12'x16' shed, the picture looks remarkably like a 6'x12' shed

Comment

• cabinetman
        Gone but not Forgotten RIP
        • Jun 2006
        • So. Florida
        • Delta

I'll answer your question with what I did. My location may differ enough with Michigan (doesn't usually freeze here). But, what I did for a floor/foundation was to sink 4 x 4 PT posts into post holes filled with cement about 3' deep. I let them protrude above grade enough to mount 2 x 6 PT on edge on the outside line of the 4 x 4's. Then, ran the rest of the 2 x 6 for the floor framing. Floor was 3/4" exterior ply. Wall's were 2 x 4 framed, and the bottom plate was fastened through the ply, into the center of the 2 x 6's. The outside was 5/8" T-111 that was fastened to the studs and protruded past the 3/4" plywood floor.

Comment

• bfrikken
          • Apr 2005
          • Michigan, USA.
          • BT-3100

I'm in a township. Anything under 200 sq feet does not require a building permit. I believe a Zoning Compliance Certificate is required regardless of size (if I have the name right).

the shed will be 12x16 to stay under the 200 sq feet requirement.

building requirements that I've seen are around things like the size of the door and height of the building. The way I read the code for the building is that if it is over 120 feet it HAD to be on a cement foundation. But in talking to my neighbor that built his and went through all the rigamorall, he said that was his understanding before going to the towship. However, after talking to them, it was the 200 sq feet that made it have to sit on cement. Regardless, I'm looking at cost of the project right now. Before I dig anything or buy anything, I'll be making a call/trip to the township offices.

As far as electrical is concerned, I will be running power to the shed in any way I'm allowed. My FIL is an electrician and will be utilized in help building and powering the shed.

Again, I'm just costing this thing out. I will be exploring the cement quote too, i'm just not expecting it to be "affordable" with my tentative budget.

Comment

• rnelson0
            Established Member
            • Feb 2008
            • Midlothian, VA (Richmond)
            • Firestorm FS2500TS

As far as electrical is concerned, I will be running power to the shed in any way I'm allowed. My FIL is an electrician and will be utilized in help building and powering the shed.
            Where I lived, I believe you could only run a single line out to a temporary structure, but a permanent structure could receive a breaker box. For an 8'x10' it probably wouldn't matter, but a 12'x16' could use more than a single 20A circuit.

Comment

• Thalermade
              • Dec 2002
              • Ohio
              • BT 3000

And here is my standard reply to folks building sheds. When it is raining, look at the ground where it will be placed. My Mom's shed which, is built up from treated 4X4's on the ground, was having water problems.
              I will suggest you incorporate some gravel to the base for drainage at the least.

The other thing is to make sure you have proper ventilation as well.

Happy hammering!!
              Russ

Comment

• jgrobler
                Established Member
                • Dec 2005
                • Salinas, CA, USA.
                • TS3650

Originally posted by bfrikken
                I'm trying to convince my wife to build a shed.
                It will be a wonderful day when I can convince my wife to build a shed for my tools :-)

Sorry, I couldn't resist. Good luck anyway with the shed.

Comment

• spratone
                  Forum Newbie
                  • Feb 2006

Depending on local codes, over a certain size, it requires a concrete slab. Now, there are also variances that can be had. Do the math though, concrete pier blocks (or 4x4 posts) plus the 2x6 joists and plywood flooring probably will come close to the cost of a 4-6" slab and you still haven't gotten to the framing. Slab is the way to go. I should have done that with my shed. I went with 4x4 post runners and 2x4 joists. Had to dig down to lay in the gravel and level that out first. Back breaking for sure.

Comment

• docrowan
                    • Mar 2007
                    • New Albany, MS
                    • BT3100

This may be a little out of your budget, but my shop is a 12' x 20' factory built. It cost me $3,720 delivered, tax and all. I opted for two extra windows, higher wall height, and custom doors. Zero prep work for the foundation as I had a relatively flat spot.

Long story short: You may want to price around some 12' X 16' factory built sheds and save yourself a ton of work. I'm betting you can get one not too far off your $1,800 budget.
                    - Chris.

Comment

• cabinetman
                      Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                      • Jun 2006
                      • So. Florida
                      • Delta

These FREE SHED PLANS may be of some help if you DIY.

Comment

• jabe
                        • Apr 2006
                        • Hilo, Hawaii
                        • Ryobi BT3000 & Delta Milwaukee 10" tilting Table circular saw

Get a quote for a concrete slab and compare it with the cost of building it on post & pier. Do the math, every project is 75% planning and 25% labor.

Comment

• bfrikken
                          • Apr 2005
                          • Michigan, USA.
                          • BT-3100

Originally posted by docrowan
                          This may be a little out of your budget, but my shop is a 12' x 20' factory built. It cost me $3,720 delivered, tax and all. I opted for two extra windows, higher wall height, and custom doors. Zero prep work for the foundation as I had a relatively flat spot.

Long story short: You may want to price around some 12' X 16' factory built sheds and save yourself a ton of work. I'm betting you can get one not too far off your $1,800 budget.
                          Priced out a couple of the factory built ones. Honestly, it is only encouraging me to do it myself for cheaper. I really enjoy the building. I'm waiting on a couple neighbors right now. We are in a relatively new subdivision, and I mentioned building a shed and both of them are interested. One is pretty set on a smaller shed and will probably do a wood floor. I asked him what he wanted vs what he was settling for, so he asked to get a quote too on a cement floor.

I'm certainly planning this out. It'll be a while before I break ground on this. I figure all the building around here has been relatively slow thanks to the economy, so I'm hoping for a decent price on cement and if the price is right getting it done in a timely manner if we go through with it.

Right now, I'm hitting the big box stores because they started putting out the models of sheds. It is giving me a feel for size. I was surprised that a 10x10 custom shed that was up felt as big as it did inside. I'll be making more rounds today too. I'm also watching CL and Ebay for some local deals

Comment

• iceman61
                            • Oct 2007
                            • West TN
                            • Bosch 4100-09

I would like to offer some humble advise on this. Since you're willing to do the work yourself, you may be surprised what you can get for free if you think about it creatively. Of course this will require determination.

I have had friends that have built huge shops for relatively free. One guy I know found a house that was going to torn down. The owner told him he could tearout what ever materials he wanted. He ended up framing a 24 x 30 shop with all free materials with the exception of his slab. Once finished out, his shop looked like it was built from all brand new materials.

Yesterday I saw an excavator tearing down a 2 story house that had cedar siding. I drove back by an hour later & noticed that there wasn't anything left over 3 feet long & was all taken to the city dump. That cedar would have cleaned up to almost brand new with a pressure washing. There is a company in Nashville, Tn that tears down old barns, reclaims the lumber, and sells it for hardwood flooring.

Back to my original point, if you get creative & do the work yourself, your budget will go alot farther than you think it will.

Comment

• ucop27
                              Forum Newbie
                              • Mar 2008

Originally posted by bfrikken
                              Priced out a couple of the factory built ones. Honestly, it is only encouraging me to do it myself for cheaper. I really enjoy the building. I'm waiting on a couple neighbors right now. We are in a relatively new subdivision, and I mentioned building a shed and both of them are interested. One is pretty set on a smaller shed and will probably do a wood floor. I asked him what he wanted vs what he was settling for, so he asked to get a quote too on a cement floor.

I'm certainly planning this out. It'll be a while before I break ground on this. I figure all the building around here has been relatively slow thanks to the economy, so I'm hoping for a decent price on cement and if the price is right getting it done in a timely manner if we go through with it.

Right now, I'm hitting the big box stores because they started putting out the models of sheds. It is giving me a feel for size. I was surprised that a 10x10 custom shed that was up felt as big as it did inside. I'll be making more rounds today too. I'm also watching CL and Ebay for some local deals

FWIW 2yrs ago I built a 16x24 2 story Gambral Barn, I was quoted between 2500 and 4000 for a slab, not worth it for me. So its on 4x4's sitting on crusher run that was compacted using a plate compactor, I used 2x8' for the floor joists every foot on center, 2x12's for the second floor every foot on center. I have since run power out to a sub panel box all set for 220v, also ran a satellite feed and phone line. I already had the framing guns which made the project go alot smoother and quicker. 1 day to set the blocks for the 4x4's, we used a transit on each block, within 4 days it was totally enclosed waiting to be shingled. This was done by myslef, my 60 something father and my brother. I added 4 windows down and 2 up. Its a great feeling being able to do the work by myself and family.

Comment

Working...