X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • L. D. Jeffries
    • Dec 2005
    • Russell, NY, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000

As I said once before: "I'd rather fight a junk yard dog than do ANY plumbing, ANYWHERE, ANYTIME!
    RuffSawn
    Nothin' smells better than fresh sawdust!

Comment

• Ed62
      The Full Monte
      • Oct 2006
      • NW Indiana
      • BT3K

Another vote for plumbing. It's not a job I look forward to. I guess I just don't know enough about it.

Ed
      Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• JeffG78
        Established Member
        • Jan 2007
        • Northville, Michigan - a Detroit suburb
        • BT3100

I hate drywall. I hate getting covered in dust and I hate the mess it makes. Unlike a pro, it takes me a whole bunch of coats and a lot of sanding. It does come out nice, but it takes me forever. As long as I am patching a room that I can isolate, I can manage, but when I have to redo a main room or hallway, I get really frustrated.

Comment

• cabinetman
          Gone but not Forgotten RIP
          • Jun 2006
          • So. Florida
          • Delta

None of the choices had any carpentry dislikes, like hangin' doors. Maybe that fits into the last choice. So, I voted for plumbing. The itsy bitsy leaks can be frustrating, but cracked toilets, burst lines inside the wall really are a PITA. With my luck it doesn't happen right after my third cup of coffee in the morning, but somewhere between midnight and 4 A.M. BTW, it's true...plumbers don't bite their nails.

Comment

• Pappy
            The Full Monte
            • Dec 2002
            • San Marcos, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 (x2)

Ain't no job in a home worse than cleaning a litter box!
            Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
            Fools because they have to say something.
            Plato

Comment

• chopnhack
              Veteran Member
              • Oct 2006
              • Florida
              • Ryobi BT3100

Painting took it for me - don't get me wrong...roofing, plumbing and drywall in that order are high up there too, but painting is dreaded for me. I have painted over 18k sq feet in my life's time and you have to do it well - it's the last thing you'll see!
              I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• Crash2510
                • Feb 2006
                • North Central Ohio

how can drywall win over plumbing

I will admit drywall is not my favorite its hard and time consuming but at least with drywall I know what I am getting into not as many suprises and fewer materials needed

for me plumbing is a whole different monster with twists around every corner (literally)
                Phil In Ohio
                The basement woodworker

Comment

• jhart
                  Veteran Member
                  • Feb 2004
                  • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
                  • BT3100

Ditto on the plumbing!!!! When go to the hardware to get a fitting, I always say "I'll be seeing you a couple of more times today". Always start a plumbing job in the morning if I can so I can make the required 2-4 more runs before they close.

LOML came up with the brilliant idea of taking the whole problem in with her and actually got the right parts. May have to start trying that.

The other thing I hate about plumbing is the positions you have to get in to get at the problem, especially under sink cabinets. I just don't fit in them very well.
                  Joe
                  "All things are difficult before they are easy"

Comment

• smorris
                    • Apr 2003
                    • Tampa, Florida, USA.

Not on the list, but tiling. I absolutely detest doing tile and will go far out of my way to avoid it.
                    --
                    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice

Comment

• JeffG78
                      Established Member
                      • Jan 2007
                      • Northville, Michigan - a Detroit suburb
                      • BT3100

The only good thing about plumbing is that the cost is usually low. I buy every possible fitting I could need to do the job at hand before I start. It saves me many trips to the store. I buy every length nipple as well as multiples of every angle fitting, couplings, tees, caps, etc.

I really hate that the water valves NEVER turn completely off. I wind up replacing valves every time I get into a plumbing project so that I don't have to worry about them in the future.

I originally voted for drywall, but more and more bad plumbing memories are surfacing. I think I want to change my vote.

Comment

• Wood_workur
                        Veteran Member
                        • Aug 2005
                        • Ohio
                        • Ryobi bt3100-1

painting only because I've never had to do drywall.
                        Alex

Comment

• mschrank
                          Veteran Member
                          • Oct 2004
                          • Hood River, OR, USA.
                          • BT3000

I see I'm not alone in my distaste for plumbing.

Installed the second pedastal sink in our main bathroom yesterday (Yay, that remodel is now 98% done).

Took most of the day, and would have been able to do it without a trip to the hardware store EXCEPT one of the angle stops I bought at HD was mis-labeled and was the wrong size for supply lines I had.
                          Mike

Drywall screws are not wood screws

Comment

• BigguyZ
                            Veteran Member
                            • Jul 2006
                            • Minneapolis, MN
                            • Craftsman, older type w/ cast iron top

I hate plumbing too. Though, I really don't mind running the supply lines. My brother and I recently invested in a PEX crimper and the tubing and fittings. Now that you don't have to solder everything, projects are safer and go much faster.

Not the waste pipeing, that's a mess. The thing I don't like about that is 1) once you start replacing old plumbing, especially the old steel or iron waste pipes, the issues pile up and you end up doing a larger job than you wanted. and 2) it's not as flexible as the supply lines, so you really have to have things lined up very well or you'll have a leak or five.

I have to admit though- I can usually solve most issues with plumbing by sealing it with a generous amount of plumber's Goop.

Comment

• crokett
                              The Full Monte
                              • Jan 2003
                              • Mebane, NC, USA.
                              • Ryobi BT3000

Plumbing is my least favorite by a mile.
                              David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• JimD
                                Veteran Member
                                • Feb 2003
                                • Lexington, SC.

I hate plumbing when it comes up at 10pm or later. I bought several shut-offs, flappers, and hoses for toilets after one too many late night leaky toilets. Other plumbing stuff can usually wait until I have enough time (although sprinklers are another potential PITA at my house).

Sanding is what I picked, however. The dust gets to my allergies a little and it seems kind of fussy. I like my Ryobi belt sander but my Rigid pad sander is real noisy and my Rockwell speed block has no dust collection so it never gets used anymore. My DeWalt ROS is hard to control unless I use two hands which is rarely what I want to do.

Drywall is not so bad to me although I do not care for the dust. Taping is OK until it's time to sand. I have a sander powered by a vacumn and it helps a lot. Hooking up the Rigid to the vacumn also reduces the dust a lot. I made a drywall lift to do the basement which helped a lot with hanging the drywall. The thing I like about drywall is I think it goes fast.

Jim

Comment

Working...