• Show
Clear All
  • gsmittle
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2004
    • St. Louis, MO, USA.
    • BT 3100

Armored or not?

I'm about to install a generator transfer switch. The switch itself is near the breaker panel, of course, but the junction box for the generator power is on the other side of the house.

What I'm wondering is if I should go to the extra expense of using armored (BX?) cable instead of Romex for the stretch from the junction box to the transfer switch. The only part of the cable to go outside is less than six inches--the rest of the run is in the basement along the floor joists to the breaker panel.

Any thoughts?

g.
    Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
    Bill & Ted
  • JimD
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2003
    • Lexington, SC.

This has to be pretty big wire so the difference in price is probably significant. I would put the part outside in conduit and not pretct the stuff in the floor joists. I don't see why this would be different than other wire (just bigger). I did not look at my code book, however.

Comment

• Hellrazor
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2003
      • Abyss, PA
      • Ridgid R4512

Ugh.. brainfart. I think duraflex is the name of the stuff we use at work to go from an exterior box and into the building. It is a 3' section of non-metalic flex conduit. I know BORG usually carries it. Otherwise you will need to use THWN in conduit or other waterproof cable. Romex/etc is not rated for exterior exposure.

Do you need to have this inspected?

Comment

• gsmittle
        Veteran Member
        • Aug 2004
        • St. Louis, MO, USA.
        • BT 3100

Originally posted by Hellrazor
        Ugh.. brainfart. I think duraflex is the name of the stuff we use at work to go from an exterior box and into the building. It is a 3' section of non-metalic flex conduit. I know BORG usually carries it. Otherwise you will need to use THWN in conduit or other waterproof cable. Romex/etc is not rated for exterior exposure.

Do you need to have this inspected?
        The cable is 10/3 solid copper, per the transfer switch docs. My initial thought was running the cable through conduit from the exterior box into the house. Then I made the mistake of looking at the BX. Of course, once I finish this, I'll never lose electricity again!

I should probably have the work inspected. I'm trying to do it myself and save a few bucks, since the installation is pretty simple.

g.
        Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
        Bill & Ted

Comment

• reddog552
          Established Member
          • Dec 2006
          • Belleville Il.
          • Bt3000

Romex

romex is fine in joists. just before you go outside install a 4" j-box.run 3/4" flex pvc to unit.
          The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of low cost is forgotten!

Comment

• LJR
            Established Member
            • Jan 2005

On the outside part of the run the romex has to be protected from physical damage. On the inside of the house it's fine to use romex. As reddog suggests mount a junction box at the point of entry and then use conduit from there to the generator attachment. Run your romex through this conduit and box to protect it. Not necessary to run armored cable the whole way nor is the extra expense justified here. If you're really worried about protecting the wire I'd suggest doing the whole run in conduit.

Comment

• Hellrazor
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2003
              • Abyss, PA
              • Ridgid R4512

Originally posted by gsmittle

I should probably have the work inspected. I'm trying to do it myself and save a few bucks, since the installation is pretty simple.

g.

The reason I asked was... ask the inspector what they expect to see in that scenario.

Comment

Working...