• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cheeky
    • Nov 2006
    • westchester cty, new york
    • Ridgid TS2400LS

Clothes dryer: no heat.

My electric dryer will run/turn, but there's no heat introduced.

i checked the circuit breaker. i have 220 coming into the dryer...checked that.

i have the dryer apart, and have checked continuity of the following:

thermostat
    thermal cut-off
    heating element

they all register ok with my multimeter.

is it possible for the heating element to register continuity, but still not work?
    Pete
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Your heating element should be well below 20-30 ohms - you need to check resistance, not continuity.
    I imagine that the timer has a switch which applies the heating during certain periods of drying; the thermostat (in series) just regulates the temperature.
    so if the thermostat is ok then probably the main heater on-off switch which would be part of the timer is out.

I'm not a real appliance guru, don't know of the switching is done in the timer itself (would then have to handle 10+ amps) or in a relay controlled by the timer.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• mschrank
      Veteran Member
      • Oct 2004
      • Hood River, OR, USA.
      • BT3000

RepairClinic.com has helped me before. Here's a link straight to your problem:
      http://www.repairclinic.com/0088_8_1.asp#Level1_2

EDIT: I just read their recommendations, and it sounds like you either read the same thing, or you already knew what you were doing. I'll bet Loring's right.
      Mike

Drywall screws are not wood screws

Comment

• Cheeky
        • Nov 2006
        • westchester cty, new york
        • Ridgid TS2400LS

Originally posted by LCHIEN
        Your heating element should be well below 20-30 ohms - you need to check resistance, not continuity.
        You're right on both accounts, the heat relay switch (below heat selector) is fried. Opened up the panel, after taking the friggin drum out (darn dryer doesn't have a rear access panel), and the switch was partially melted and black dust was abound.

Originally posted by mschrank
        RepairClinic.com has helped me before. Here's a link straight to your problem:
        http://www.repairclinic.com/0088_8_1.asp#Level1_2

EDIT: I just read their recommendations, and it sounds like you either read the same thing, or you already knew what you were doing. I'll bet Loring's right.
        that site is fantastic, just wish i checked the control panel 1st before the rest of the fuses, etc. next time, i'm going to check the console 1st
        Last edited by Cheeky; 11-05-2007, 05:56 PM.
        Pete

Comment

Working...