• Show
Clear All
  • crokett
    The Full Monte
    • Jan 2003
    • Mebane, NC, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000

2-Cycle Engine Maintenance

Since I can't find the manual to my string trimmer, anything I need to do beyond changing spark plugs? That is all I've ever done in 7 seasons.
    David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by crokett
    Since I can't find the manual to my string trimmer, anything I need to do beyond changing spark plugs? That is all I've ever done in 7 seasons.

try going to the manufacturers website and finding the manual or at least a manual for one similar to yours?

Since the oil is in the gas, I don't recall that there was much to do.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• LinuxRandal
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2005
      • Independence, MO, USA.
      • bt3100

Don't they still have a air filter over the carb that should be cleaned? I know my Lawn Boy does.
      She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• JimD
        Veteran Member
        • Feb 2003
        • Lexington, SC.

I never do anything to my chain saw and weedwhacker. My boat motor plugs the low speed circuit of the carberator if I do not run the gas out, however, so I try to remember to do that. I change plugs or bang the worst part of the junk off the air filter if it refuses to run.

Jim

Comment

• Garasaki
          • Sep 2006

Air filter.

Might have a fuel filter but I doubt it.

You could always rebuild it if you really wanted to. Or change the rings. Lawdy that'd be easy on a weedwacker...

Just make sure you give it fresh, good oil, and don't use ethanol gas (perhaps a myth? I'd rather not take a chance), and it should be pretty good.
          -John

"Look, I can't surrender without orders. I mean they emphasized that to me particularly. I don't know exactly why. The guy said "Blake, never surrender without checking"
          -Henry Blake

Comment

• crokett
            The Full Monte
            • Jan 2003
            • Mebane, NC, USA.
            • Ryobi BT3000

Loring, tried that. It is a Ryobi 790r. IF there is a user manual I can't find it. I figured a 2-cycle engine is a 2-cycle engine and there isn't much beyond spark plug and air filter. It runs ok, just wondered if there was anything I should be doing
            David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• MikeMcCoy
              • Nov 2004
              • Moncks Corner, SC, USA.
              • Delta Contractor Saw

It may not make any difference but I add Stabile to everything from generators on down to the edger (including gas in the can) and have never had a problem.

Comment

• L. D. Jeffries
                • Dec 2005
                • Russell, NY, USA.
                • Ryobi BT3000

Some of the trimmers, like mine which is a STHIL, has a fuel filter in the tank, on the end of a small plastic hose that feeds gas to the engine.
                RuffSawn
                Nothin' smells better than fresh sawdust!

Comment

• doubleoonothing
                  Forum Newbie
                  • Sep 2007
                  • On a small Farm in Santa Rosa, Calif.
                  • 1950 vintage Craftsman

2 cycle care

First, crokett, thanks for the Bamboo and dato tip, now to you and your 2 cycle interest. On the farm a weed wacker is a well used tool, I trim about 2 acres every year around equipment and such, I have had nearly every make in my hands. Rarely do I put them away with fuel in them, I run them dry. Like you said, air cleaner & plug are the big ones, if you want to go above and beyond, you can visit your marine supplier and get "Fogging oil" and follow the directions. And about gasohol (less than 10% alcohol), it is helpful in reducing carbon buildup which causes loss of power in the engine, but that shouldn't be a problem if you strictly adhere to oil mix ratios.

Comment

• Jim Boyd
                    Veteran Member
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Montgomery, Texas, USA.
                    • Delta Unisaw

Here is something to help ya out.
                    Last edited by Jim Boyd; 10-02-2007, 03:16 AM.
                    Jim in Texas and Sicko Ryobi Cult Member ©

Comment

• Pappy
                      The Full Monte
                      • Dec 2002
                      • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                      • BT3000 (x2)

Mostly a repeat of the above. The manual on my echo says to empty the tank, start the engine and let it run out of gas before putting it away.

As to maintenance, keep the air filter clean and change the plug once a year. There is normally a strainer type filter on the end of the gas line in the tank that may rarely need cleaning. The only other thing to watch is the fuel lines. They are plastic tubing and will eventually crack. When you have a leak, replace all the lines.
                      Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
                      Fools because they have to say something.
                      Plato

Comment

Working...