How do I get estimates on building a porch?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Alex Franke
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2007
    • Chapel Hill, NC
    • Ryobi BT3100

How do I get estimates on building a porch?

We've never had any major work done on a house before, so I really have no idea where to begin. My wife and I want to add a covered wrap-around porch to the front and part of one side of the house, but we have no idea what this type of thing costs, so we can't even begin to plan a budget.

Is this the type of thing we call a general contractor for? Or an architect? Or a deck builder? We really just want a ballpark estimate, and we'd rather not have to pay anyone to get it.

And advice would be much appreciated! Thanks, as always! =)
    online at http://www.theFrankes.com
    while ( !( succeed = try() ) ) ;
    "Life is short, Art long, Occasion sudden and dangerous, Experience deceitful, and Judgment difficult." -Hippocrates
  • Hellrazor
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2003
    • Abyss, PA
    • Ridgid R4512

Check with the local codes enforcement office for requirements. You might need a drawing/formal plan plus the permit. Once you know the answer to that, you can make a more informed decision.

I would ignore an architect unless you are planning to do something very detailed or you are in a historical district.

A GC will likely cost more than a carpenter, but you never know. Make sure they have the proper credentials, insurance and worksmans comp.

Comment

• cabinetman
      Gone but not Forgotten RIP
      • Jun 2006
      • So. Florida
      • Delta

You may be able to get an estimate from a general contractor. Usually, they bid a job from architectural plans. If you find one that has done many, you could look at pictures and point and say..."Like that". Or, provide your own pictures. It's likely that whoever bids the job will have to see the site and see what's involved. Finding a handyman, or a cavorting carpenter may be asking for trouble.

Comment

• Ed62
        The Full Monte
        • Oct 2006
        • NW Indiana
        • BT3K

If you want to save some money, think about doing the work yourself. Check with the office handling building permits to find out what they require to comply with local code. Have a rough sketch with you so you can convey what you want to do. It can be pretty rough. At this point, you're only looking for information.

If you've never done anything like this before, pick up several books from the library about construction techniques. You'll probably be surprised that you can handle the job yourself. Of course you'll need help for the muscle part of it. If you read the books before going to the office, you'll be better prepared to understand what they require. Then it's just a matter of figuring your cost for materials, etc. They'll likely require a detailed plan before issuing a permit.

That's what I did when I built my porch. Two years later (about 6 years ago), I built a 17' X 26' room addition on the back of our home. This is where we spend 90% of our time now.

Ed
        Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• scorrpio
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2005
          • Wayne, NJ, USA.

You could try looking up a few builders and see if you can arrange some to come and take a look. But really , the scope and cost of such projects can vary extremely widely. Depending on materials used, finish desired, extras like lighting, present house design, area climate, soil characteristics, etc etc etc. Oh yeah, codes vary, but in our area, anything that is more than 3 feet above grade must be approved by an architect in order to be allowed.

Because variance can be so huge, you really shoud at least have some definite idea on what you want. Otherwise, you'll need to work with an architect, and that'll cost you. To give you some idea, I am presently looking to remove a 10-foot section of a load-bearing exterior wall, and looking for a structural engineer to come in and see what kind of support will be required. So far, I am getting quotes in $1200-1500 range just to come in, examine, and produce a licensed architect-signed drawings that I can submit to township for a permit and to a building contractor.

Comment

• SHADOWFOX
            Veteran Member
            • May 2005
            • IL, USA.
            • DELTA 36-675

Alex,

I've been using www.servicemagic.com for these type of things. The site has client reviews and sometimes pics of the work of the contractors. I used this site to find a reputable contractor to replace all the outside trim of my house. Free service with great followup from the contractors and the contact at service magic. Hope this helps.

I am not affiliated with service magic in any way.

Kind regards,
            Chris

"The first key to wisdom is constant and frequent questioning, for by doubting we are led to question and by questioning we arrive at the truth." -Pierre Abelard 11th Century philosopher.

Comment

• LCHIEN
              Internet Fact Checker
              • Dec 2002
              • Katy, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 vintage 1999

i think it depends on the complexity of your work.
              If it involves simple carpentry then a carpenter could bid and would work for you.
              But, if you want lights (electrician) and you have to move a drain line (plumber) and you want it painted (painter) to match the house where its attached and you want part of it shingled (roofer) then you might be best off getting a general contractor - he will locate the individuals to do the job and of course will add some markup to the individual costs of the workers involved but he will have the responsibility for contracting, coordinating and making sure all these people do the right things correctly at the right time and you will have a single rep to complain to. Dealing with one person you trust is much easier than dealing with 3 or 4 people you trust less who are doing stuff you don't understand real well.
              Loring in Katy, TX USA
              If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
              BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• LarryG
                The Full Monte
                • May 2004
                • Off The Back
                • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

Originally posted by Alex Franke
                we have no idea what this type of thing costs, so we can't even begin to plan a budget.

[SNIP]

We really just want a ballpark estimate, and we'd rather not have to pay anyone to get it.
                In your situation, the best way to start would be to ask around and get some word-of-mouth recommendations for two or three well-regarded contractors who do a lot of residential work, whether additions or remodels or new houses. Show them some pictures of basically what you have in mind, on houses similar to yours, and supply some basic dimensions. This should be enough to get your ballpark estimate and allow you to decide if it's feasible to proceed.

Contractors like this should also be able to tell you what you'll need to do WRT permits, whether you'll need to get an architect involved, etc. They do this kind of thing every day, and will know what the local Building Official requires.
                Larry

Comment

• Ed62
                  The Full Monte
                  • Oct 2006
                  • NW Indiana
                  • BT3K

You should also get at least 3 bids on the project. Have the estimates written, and contain everything that will be done, and materials to be used. If you don't have it in writing, you'll have a hard time getting things fixed if they don't meet your expectations.

Ed
                  Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

Working...