• Show
Clear All
  • Kristofor
    Veteran Member
    • Jul 2004
    • Twin Cities, MN
    • Jet JTAS10 Cabinet Saw

Originally posted by ragswl4
    They are more expensive in the beginning but then you will not be heating that tank of water all day for the short useage of the hot water.
    Houston. Attic. There's probably not much energy being used to keep that water warm during the day for a good part of the year . I wonder what the energy difference is using the free daytime heat to warm a tank of water vs. having to heat each drop of somewhat cooler house water?

Still may make sense, but I'd think the payback would be slower there...

Kristofor.

Comment

• BrianStark
      Forum Newbie
      • Jan 2007
      • San Diego, CA
      • Ryobi BT3100

I have had two quotes from two different plumbing companies here in San Diego. Both were approximately $1200. One of them offered me a discount of $400 if I buy and bring home the water heater myself. Ha! I have two small cars, neither of which are good for hauling water heaters. IMHO, part of the reason for the high prices is that they know you need hot water and that you don't want to live with your water turned off for a few days while you shop around for the best deal.

Brian

Comment

• movnup
        Established Member
        • Aug 2006
        • Seattle
        • BT3000

In Seattle it was between $800 - $1100 calling around for a 40 gallon gas installed with a 6 year warranty. I bought the best HD / Lowes had which was a GE 50 gallon 12 year warranty at HD for $380, some gas teflon tape, and a new pan for another $20 bucks. It took 1/2 day, my wife helped lift up the new one in (here they're mounted at 24" and banded to the walls for earthquakes) and $8 bucks to recycle the old one.

This really is an easy do it your self project as there's only four main connections. Two water, one gas flue, one gas line, (one overflow) .... tools are pipe wrench, crescent, yellow gas teflon tape, white teflon tape, power screwdriver, kitchen dish soap to test the gas line for leaks . I was all set on tankless until I did a lot of research as this project is mostly sweat equity labor and I have other things to do than plumbing... the net net was the reviews didn't come up that great.

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
          Veteran Member
          • Nov 2005
          • York, PA, USA.

Originally posted by LCHIEN
          thanks for the timely replies. the plumber came and told me it wasn't leaking, it was just a roof leak.
          Well, that was both relieving and ridiculous at the same time. First what the odds that a roof leak would all end up in the pan below the water heater? And that it would be steadily dripping 24 hours after the storm?

Well I had him look again this time mopping up the water and he declares on the second try that it really is leaking.

His first quite was for $1300+ and after I complained he reduced it to $948 or 1775 if I wanted to do both.

Thinking all your replies were in the ~$600 range I said I wanted to think about it and called lowes their estimate was about $630 (everyone wants extra money for attics above the 1st floor).

So I may give lowes a try and maybe will do both if they give me a discount on the second one as it is the same model and the same age as the leaking one and making noise from all the sediment.

Lowes is quoting a 9-year Whirlpool model and the contractor a Bradford White with a 6-year warranty.

OSKNE is right - no basements in Houston/gulf-coast area contruction; some homes have them in the garage but my garage is detached and a long way away. Attic location is very common here- close to the bedroom baths.
          Lowes for $630 is the way to go. Don't think you are going to beat that. Decent water heater is around $400 and you figure couple hundred for plumber is pretty much a minimum charge around $200.

You can definately do it yourself. Its easy, but you have some constraints of location, etc. The upside of professional installation is that if there are issues, then it is on them. If you do it yourself then its yours to deal with!

Comment

Working...