• Show
Clear All
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

need quick help - estimate of water htr replaceemt

I just noticed my water heater is dripping into the emergency pan below it and drainig out the overflow line to the outside of the house.

I imagine my 15-Y.O. water heater has sprung a leak and I'm calling a plumber.

What is a reasonable range of price for a water heater replacement, installed?
    Gas fired unit, attic above second floor, services kitchen, utility room and bathroom for two bedrooms (half of the house).
    I might have the other unit replaced as well, full of sediment.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions
  • Garasaki
    • Sep 2006

I almost hate to do this, because these things can vary soooo much from place to place,

But I'd figure about 350 bucks in parts and maybe 4 hours of labor, at a minimum of 50 $/hr, so 200 in labor.

So, $550ish.
    -John

"Look, I can't surrender without orders. I mean they emphasized that to me particularly. I don't know exactly why. The guy said "Blake, never surrender without checking"
    -Henry Blake

Comment

• Tequila
      • Aug 2004
      • King of Prussia, PA, USA.

Last one I bought was 5 years ago. Cost around $650 installed if I rember correctly.
      -Joe

Comment

• cgallery
        Veteran Member
        • Sep 2004
        • Milwaukee, WI
        • BT3K

The quotes I received last year were $450-ish installed from Home Depot (they have their own installers I guess) and $900 installed by a plumbing contractor.

Comment

• KenBurris
          Established Member
          • Jan 2003
          • Cincinnati, OH, USA.

quote in May for 50 gal Bradford White gas 6 year tank,6 year parts warranty in Cincinnati from Appliance retailer - $619.99 installed (water heater permit needed in my area $50 extra)
          Ken in Cincinnati

Pretend this line says something extremely witty

Comment

• sweensdv
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2002
            • WI
            • Baileigh TS-1040P-50

Around here it will cost you around the price of a Grizzly G0604 Jointer.

Comment

• JR
              The Full Monte
              • Feb 2004
              • Eugene, OR
              • BT3000

I did mine with the aid of a friend. It was very easy.

Of course, mine is not located in the attic. In the attic? Who thought that one up?

JR
              JR

Comment

• LCHIEN
                Internet Fact Checker
                • Dec 2002
                • Katy, TX, USA.
                • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by JR
                I did mine with the aid of a friend. It was very easy.

Of course, mine is not located in the attic. In the attic? Who thought that one up?

JR
                That's so when they leak, you know it quicker....
                Loring in Katy, TX USA
                If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.

Comment

• os1kne
                  • Jan 2003
                  • Atlanta, GA
                  • BT3100

When my mother-in-law lived in TX, she had a problem with her water heater in the attic. Fortunately, it was just a thermocouple that I was able to replace without much trouble. I suspect that locating the water heater in the attic is done because most homes in TX don't have a basement and the builder wants to save valuable floor space. Getting an empty water heater up an attic ladder for installation is a pretty good chore that tests the limits of most attic ladders, but getting a dead water heater that is full of sediment down an attic ladder has to be pushing suicide.
                  Bill

Comment

• Red88chevy
                    Established Member
                    • Sep 2004
                    • Midland, Texas.

I've replaced two different ones in the last couple of years. First one, installed by plumber in the $650 range. Second, I installed for $300 from Lowes. I saved $350, but I earned it, took me quite awhile to get it to quit leaking, worked on it for nearly a day. Secret was using teflon creme/paste on the threads instead of using the teflon tape. And use lots of it!

Comment

• LCHIEN
                      Internet Fact Checker
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Katy, TX, USA.
                      • BT3000 vintage 1999

thanks for the timely replies. the plumber came and told me it wasn't leaking, it was just a roof leak.
                      Well, that was both relieving and ridiculous at the same time. First what the odds that a roof leak would all end up in the pan below the water heater? And that it would be steadily dripping 24 hours after the storm?

Well I had him look again this time mopping up the water and he declares on the second try that it really is leaking.

His first quite was for $1300+ and after I complained he reduced it to $948 or 1775 if I wanted to do both.

Thinking all your replies were in the ~$600 range I said I wanted to think about it and called lowes their estimate was about $630 (everyone wants extra money for attics above the 1st floor).

So I may give lowes a try and maybe will do both if they give me a discount on the second one as it is the same model and the same age as the leaking one and making noise from all the sediment.

Lowes is quoting a 9-year Whirlpool model and the contractor a Bradford White with a 6-year warranty.

OSKNE is right - no basements in Houston/gulf-coast area contruction; some homes have them in the garage but my garage is detached and a long way away. Attic location is very common here- close to the bedroom baths.
                      Last edited by LCHIEN; 08-22-2007, 11:59 AM.
                      Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• scorrpio
                        Veteran Member
                        • Dec 2005
                        • Wayne, NJ, USA.

I dunno what your heater capacity is, but Sears got them for $300 (40gal) to about $530 (75gal) You might find even better prices.

Why put in the attic? Cause then you don't need much of a flue, and you got all the ventilation air for makeup.

Disconnect the old heater, drain it, get everythng ready to connect the new one. Call a couple strong friends, buy some beer and chips, have a BBQ, get the old heater down and out, and then get the new one up. They are really not that heavy when empty. One advice: wrap some thick plastic around the bottom of the old heater.

Comment

• ragswl4
                          Veteran Member
                          • Jan 2007
                          • Winchester, Ca
                          • C-Man 22114

Have you thought about a tankless water heater? Don't know how long you plan to stay in your home but maybe this makes sense for the long haul. They are more expensive in the beginning but then you will not be heating that tank of water all day for the short useage of the hot water. Just a thought. We are going to install one in our new and last (I hope) home.
                          RAGS
                          Raggy and Me in San Felipe
                          sigpic

Comment

• cgallery
                            Veteran Member
                            • Sep 2004
                            • Milwaukee, WI
                            • BT3K

Originally posted by LCHIEN
                            His first quite was for $1300+ and after I complained he reduced it to $948 or 1775 if I wanted to do both.
                            I find exchanges like that pretty insulting. The thought I'm always left with is, "so you were going to rip me off to the tune of an extra $350?"

Comment

• ragswl4
                              Veteran Member
                              • Jan 2007
                              • Winchester, Ca
                              • C-Man 22114

Link to Bosch tankless water heater:http://www.cpotanklesswaterheaters.c...ess/ae125.html
                              RAGS
                              Raggy and Me in San Felipe
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...