• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Greg.B
    Established Member
    • Feb 2006
    • Joppa, Maryland
    • Ryobi BT3100

What you do for this is to lock it in and then wack it over and under the door frame. I had to do that many times when installing a laminate in my basement.
    Former Member Name - JohnnyTest

Comment

• DUD
      Royal Jester
      • Dec 2002
      • Jonesboro, Arkansas, USA.
      • Ryobi BT3000

Am undercutting on the flooring job now, am using My Ryobi 18V recrip, and a 1/2" chisel. Of course I only had to do 3. Bill
      5 OUT OF 4 PEOPLE DON'T UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS.

Comment

• TheRic
        • Jun 2004
        • West Central Ohio
        • bt3100

Originally posted by Thom2
        MINE! .. the more money I can save on BS house renovations, the more money I can put into the shop

besides, I think you'd be surprised at how little 'sweat' it takes to operate a $10 HF saw for this job .... I'm all for power tools (read my sig ) but some things just don't require the inconvenience of a cord OR the $100 outlay
        OK, what does that one and only purchaser of the BT3C Official Thong have to do with being for power tools??!!
        Ric

Plan for the worst, hope for the best!

Comment

• leehljp
          Just me
          • Dec 2002
          • Tunica, MS
          • BT3000/3100

I have the Fein and love it. It is VERY versatile. Having said that, it has one drawback - replacement blades are too expensive. It does not take too many projects to make the blade replacement cost more than then whole kit when new. While the Fein is a high quality tool, the company operates on the same principle of cheap printer companies - sell the printer but intentionally make more money on the ink than the printer.

If I were doing some contract work, I would not have a problem as I would include the cost of consumables in the bid.

I like the looks of the Bosch saw above, but it does not have the versatility of the Fein.

For more than a couple of doors, I would go with the Bosch.
          Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• Scottydont
            Veteran Member
            • Aug 2003
            • Edmonds, WA, USA.
            • Delta Industrial Hybrid

Let me preface this that I love using a Japenese style pull saw. However, I bought the Bosch as a refurb for around $50 bucks and wouldn't do it any other way. I used a scrap of flooring with underlayment padding glued to it for a guide. I did all of the door jams in my house in 15-20 minutes.
            Scott
            "The Laminate Flooring Benchtop Guy"

Edmonds WA

No coffee, no worky!

Comment

• Jan
              Forum Newbie
              • Dec 2004

Irwin makes a flush cut saw similar to the one at Rockler for $13.95. I have one I got at HD and it only takes a couple of minutes per doorway.

Comment

• Woodshark
                Established Member
                • May 2006
                • Atlanta

I rented a jamb saw from the local tool rental store for around $35 and I would do it again. Six doors in about 10 minutes. Done.
                sigpic

Comment

• dlminehart
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jul 2003
                  • San Jose, CA, USA.

Another option is to buy a used saw on eBay or CL and resell after the project for about what you paid for it. On a new one, you'd have to factor in the significant depreciation, but on a used one that's already been done.
                  - David

“Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.” -- Oscar Wilde

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
                    Veteran Member
                    • Nov 2005
                    • York, PA, USA.

A little late backing Thom up on his suggestion, but I absolutely agree that the flush trim saw worked like a champ. Of course if I recall correctly, he did all the flush trim! LOL! Seriously, it worked fine.

Having said that, like another poster mentions I used a biscuit jointer to flush trim the majority of door jambs on this project. If you think about it a biscuit jointer is bascially a vertical circular saw like the jamb saw. I would have likely used it to finish off the jambs had my Dad not "borrowed" mine and took it to NC with him. The biscuit jointer plows through finishing nails, as evidenced by the sparks shooting out. If you want to power tool option this would leave you with a tool you would be more likely to use in the future than the Bosch trim saw. At $50 - $75 the Bosch does sound like a good tool. Other applications for the Bosch would be doing fine miter trims for picture frames.

You have a lot of input and a lot of great options.

Comment

Working...