• Show
Clear All
  • radhak
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2006
    • Miramar, FL
    • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Adding a power outlet

My study / home-office has two power outlets, both a foot from the floor, on either end of the wall.

These are in the way of my rearranging furniture, so I want to add a third right in the middle of them, same height from floor, just midway from either side.

Is this a simple job? Just a matter of cutting a hole in the drywall and adding a box? I have not exactly done this before, but have seen it done, and think can handle it. Any thoughts?
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - Aristotle
  • ivwshane
    Established Member
    • Dec 2003
    • Sacramento CA

It is a pretty simple job. The hardest part will be to snake the new wire through the wall but with the proper tools its not that hard.

A good book on wiring would make things easy as well.

And make sure the power is off

Comment

• newbie2wood
      Established Member
      • Apr 2004
      • NJ, USA.

If the two outlets are on the same circuit, all you need to do is make a hole in the wall and locate the wire. If the two outlets are not connected, you may have to drill through several studs to reach one of the outlets.
      ________
      affair Webcam
      Last edited by newbie2wood; 09-15-2011, 05:52 AM.

Comment

• stormdog74
        Established Member
        • Mar 2007
        • Sacramento, CA
        • Ridgid TS3650

Another option is to get up in the attic and drop one end of the wire between two studs where you want the new outlet and the other end where a current outlet is and go from there - it is not hard, just be careful.

Most likely though the outlets will be on the same circuit and you can just put an outlet in the middle.

Comment

• radhak
          Veteran Member
          • Apr 2006
          • Miramar, FL
          • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Yes, both of them are on the same circuit but are separated by a couple of studs.

So can I expect to find the wire if I make a hole at the same height between them? And would I be able to just pull the wire out for the new outlet? Like, would there be enough slack?

edit - or will I need to run a new set of wires from one of the existing outlets to the new one?
          Last edited by radhak; 08-04-2007, 06:28 AM. Reason: afterthought
          It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
          - Aristotle

Comment

• lkazista
            Established Member
            • Jan 2004
            • Nazareth, PA, USA.

First, be REALLY careful when you are cutting that hole because there more than likely IS a wire there. Just kill the circuit before you start, and then check BOTH outlets to confirm that that are both dead before you cut and do work.

As to the slack question, very hard to predict if the electrican left enough. I would guess that you will NOT have enough.

So two options:

1 - put in a junction box between the old outlet and new, make a splice there, and put a blank cover on it.

2 - try to use the old wire as a snake and attach a fresh length to it and try to pull it through the wall. Often this is best acheived by first removing the box in the wall. Remove the outlet and push the wires out of the box. Then take a Sawsall and cut through the nails that are holding the box onto the wall and remove it. Now you will have access to the staple that is probaly holding the wire in place, plus you have a better angle (because yor hand now fits in the wall) to pull on the "fresh, longer length" wire.

All of this is ofcourse if you do not have access from either the attic above or the basement below, which would simplfy everything.

Good luck and be safe.

Lee K.
            Good luck

Comment

• p8ntblr
              • Jan 2007
              • So Cal
              • Craftsman 22114

I'd get one of these. Works great to test if a outlet is still live and also to test if there's a wire behind a wall before you drill.

http://www.amazon.com/GB-GVD-505A-Ad...6240448&sr=1-1
              -Paul

Comment

• LCHIEN
                Internet Fact Checker
                • Dec 2002
                • Katy, TX, USA.
                • BT3000 vintage 1999

Before I went through all that trouble, Lets assume you're going to have furniture along the all blocking those 2 existing outlets.

One option (because I'm lazy) is to go to the store and buy a outlet strip with a right angle flat plug. They do make these and they are very low profile so they fit behind furniture that is flush to the wall. Mine have a fold down wire handle to pull them from the plug becagsue they are so flat you can't get a grip on them. Plug the strip into the fexisting strip before placing the furniture there. You can set the strip on the floor or you can even wall mount it, it has those keyhole mounting holes molded into the back. Won't really be noticable if under a desk and you'll have 6 outlets to boot, not a bad thing for today's desks.

Here's a pic of a extension cord with a flat plug, you can get outlet strips with this kind of plug, too:

If you Must add an outlet box to your wall, getting the wire to it will be your challenge.
                I'd get a electricity detector, it is a wand with an LED that lights when you're within a few inches of a live AC conductor. With this you can trace where the wiring runs before cutting into a wall (safety and important for the next part).
                Your wall will most likely have the wire connecting the two outlets running straight across (lucky) or be dropped down through the top plate between the pairs of studs.
                If it runs straight across, you have to disconnect it at one outlet, tie a fish wire to it and pull it back to your new location. Then run a new wire segment using the fish wire as the existing wire should have no slack.
                If they both drop down, then you will need attic access to drop a new wire down thru the top plate and fish it out thru you rnew outlet hole.
                Most new construction outlet boxes are designed to mount to the studs before drywall is put up, but there are some boxes designed to be put into a hole in drywall between studs, IIRC.
                Last edited by LCHIEN; 08-04-2007, 10:42 AM.
                Loring in Katy, TX USA
                If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• linear
                  • May 2004
                  • DeSoto, KS, USA.
                  • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by LCHIEN
                  Most new construction outlet boxes are designed to mount to the studs before drywall is put up, but there are some boxes designed to be put into a hole in drywall between studs, IIRC.
                  Look for or ask for an "old work" box. It will have little wings that bring it up flush with the drywall when you tighten a screw.
                  --Rob

sigpic

Comment

• Bob Bassett
                    Established Member
                    • May 2003
                    • Shalimar, Florida, USA.

Why not try a system like this and run the wires outside the wall

http://www.doityourself.com/stry/installsurfacewiring
                    Bob Bassett from Northwest Florida

Comment

• messmaker
                      Veteran Member
                      • May 2004
                      • RICHMOND, KY, USA.
                      • Ridgid 2424

I would not splice the wire. I would run the new plug from one of the existing outlets. The biggest problem will be getting the wire through the stud. A close quarters drill is about the only easy way I know. Get a book first. Take your time.Be slow and careful.You can do it.
                      spellling champion Lexington region 1982

Comment

• radhak
                        Veteran Member
                        • Apr 2006
                        • Miramar, FL
                        • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Thanks Loring, for the common-sense point. Actually, that's where I started - wanted to put the powerstrip, then thought of adding the new outlet.

I think i'll do both - for now I shall add the power strip, but shall do the outlet once equipped with the tools and the read-up : just to gain the experience.

Frankly, with all the details from all of you, dunno if I even even need a book now; but shall get one from the library. The electricity-detector makes sense too - addresses my biggest fear - what if i cut some wires?. I guess that's where switching it off at source makes sense .
                        - Aristotle

Comment

• LCHIEN
                          Internet Fact Checker
                          • Dec 2002
                          • Katy, TX, USA.
                          • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by radhak
                          Thanks Loring, for the common-sense point. Actually, that's where I started - wanted to put the powerstrip, then thought of adding the new outlet.

I think i'll do both - for now I shall add the power strip, but shall do the outlet once equipped with the tools and the read-up : just to gain the experience.

Frankly, with all the details from all of you, dunno if I even even need a book now; but shall get one from the library. The electricity-detector makes sense too - addresses my biggest fear - what if i cut some wires?. I guess that's where switching it off at source makes sense .
                          Even if the power's off you really don't want to be cutting through wires. Knowing where they are makes things so much easier. Just make sure you use the electricity/wire locator when the power is still on!
                          Last edited by LCHIEN; 08-04-2007, 03:19 PM.
                          Loring in Katy, TX USA
                          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• JimD
                            Veteran Member
                            • Feb 2003
                            • Lexington, SC.

If one of the outlets happens to be the end of the string, this could be much easier. If it is both the end of the run and the wire only goes through holes in the studs, no staples other than at the outlet box, it could be downright easy. I would pull both outlets and see if there are two sets of wires or only one. If there are two, electricity flows both into and out of the outlet (out to the next outlet in the string). If there is only one set of wires, you are in luck - it is the end of the string. If you pull the staple near the box, you should be able to pull the wire back out the hole you make for the new outlet. Put in an old work box and you have the new outlet.

Jim

Comment

• where2start

Should I post here or begin a new thread?

Hello All,

Leo here....I have a project and questions not identical, but similiar to the ones in this thread. I need to know the proper forum ediquet...do I go off this thread or being my new one, despit the closely related topics?

Thanks for your help!

Leo

Comment

Working...