• Show
Clear All
  • crokett
    The Full Monte
    • Jan 2003
    • Mebane, NC, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000

To Cut or Not to Cut

That is the question. I have a metal pole approx 15' high in my yard that has a light on it. I disconnected the light when we moved in because of the dangerous ghetto wiring job. I am finally getting around to taking the pole down. It is in cement. Just cut it off at the base or try to dig it out?Either way the cement has to be cut off for me to reuse the pole. It will make a great basketball goal.
    Last edited by crokett; 07-12-2007, 10:11 AM.
    David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

It depends on the soil. In the Houston/gulf coast area, a lot of cemented poles for fences can be pulled out simply by rocking them back and forth. The ground, which is a clay-like gumbo will compress and eventually leave a void around the cement, the pole and cement can then be lifted or dragged out. depends on the size of the cement and the depth, how easy this is. For just a light, it may not be too bad, grab the pole higher up to work it back and forth, you will get more leverage.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• LarryG
      The Full Monte
      • May 2004
      • Off The Back
      • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

Originally posted by crokett
      It is in cement.
      It's in concrete, of which cement is but an ingredient.

(Sorry ... pet peeve of mine.)

Besides the soil considerations Loring mentions, there's the matter of whether the concrete base, if left, will be objectionable for any reason. Will it be difficult to mow around? A tripping hazard? Or simply an eyesore?

FWIW, I'm virtually always in the cry-once camp on this kind of thing. Meaning, invest the time to dig it out and be done with it.
      Larry

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
        The Full Monte
        • May 2007
        • Sunshine State
        • BT3000

Whether to cut it or dig it up might depend on how high the concrete sits with respect to ground level. If it's not obtrusive, I'd get out the sawzall and lop the pole off close to the concrete, and then use a sledge to pound the sharp edges inward, so nobody gets cut on it.

Comment

• Greg.B
          Established Member
          • Feb 2006
          • Joppa, Maryland
          • Ryobi BT3100

Agreed. Also you could frame a small form around it and fill it with cement and hide the top of the remaining pole, if it is an area that is not already too high.

I would see how large the concrete is poured round. If you could sledge enough of it to get below grade I would then just cut it off and fill over with dirt.
          Former Member Name - JohnnyTest

Comment

• TheRic
            • Jun 2004
            • West Central Ohio
            • bt3100

I would wonder how DEEP the concrete is? Around here you go 30 - 36" inches to get to the frost line. Not sure how round the pole is or how round an area of concrete.

You might be able to rock it out. You might be able to hoist it out using a floor jack and chain. Got a engine hoist laying around, that would work also. If those don't work a concrete chisel on a roller hammer will make quick work of breaking it apart. Don't think you need to go to a Jack hammer.

I'm with Larry on taking it out, not covering it up. 10 years from now you will FIND it when you are in the middle of something else.
            Ric

Plan for the worst, hope for the best!

Comment

• dlminehart
              Veteran Member
              • Jul 2003
              • San Jose, CA, USA.

Depending on its location, you might cover the concrete+pole stub with something. Like make a bird bath or feeder, a place to drop in a smaller diameter pole for one end of a temporary clothesline, etc.
              - David

“Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.” -- Oscar Wilde

Comment

• ragswl4
                Veteran Member
                • Jan 2007
                • Winchester, Ca
                • C-Man 22114

Originally posted by LCHIEN
                It depends on the soil. In the Houston/gulf coast area, a lot of cemented poles for fences can be pulled out simply by rocking them back and forth. The ground, which is a clay-like gumbo will compress and eventually leave a void around the cement, the pole and cement can then be lifted or dragged out. depends on the size of the cement and the depth, how easy this is. For just a light, it may not be too bad, grab the pole higher up to work it back and forth, you will get more leverage.
                An additional step, again depending on the soil, would be to put water around the base to loosen the soil (may take a lot, may take a little) and then use Loring's method for removal. I vote with getting the whole shebang outta there. You or someone else with find the concrete later with a lawnmover or by tripping over it.
                RAGS
                Raggy and Me in San Felipe
                sigpic

Comment

• Hellrazor
                  Veteran Member
                  • Dec 2003
                  • Abyss, PA
                  • Ridgid R4512

David.. Flag Pole..

Comment

• Zenaca
                    Established Member
                    • Nov 2006
                    • Idaho

I am with Hellrazor what about using it for a flagpole?

Bud

Comment

• crokett
                      The Full Monte
                      • Jan 2003
                      • Mebane, NC, USA.
                      • Ryobi BT3000

Thought about leaving it where it is for a flag pole but SWMBO doesn't like where the pole is so it must come down. Considering the wiring job that was done, the concrete is probably not that deep anyway.
                      David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• Hellrazor
                        Veteran Member
                        • Dec 2003
                        • Abyss, PA
                        • Ridgid R4512

David,

My bet is he used all his money up on the concrete...

Comment

Working...