X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • moscafj
    Forum Newbie
    • May 2006

Any one know sprinkler systems?

I inherited a sprinkler system when I purchased my home about a year ago. I really don't know anything more than how to control the system.

Problem: Weathermatic T3...When I activate the system, one sprinkler rises up from the ground and falls over as water bubbles up from the ground. I can't figure out how to re-attach the sprinkler. I can put it back in the hole, but clearly it must attach to someting.

Any suggestions, before I start digging?

Thanks
  • Tom Miller
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2003
    • Twin Cities, MN
    • BT3000 - Cuttin' it old school

So, are you saying that some portion of the sprinkler pops up and completely separates from the sprinkler head housing? Not knowing the particulars of your components, I can't say for sure if the head is not repairable, but it sounds like you may need to replace it. The pop-up part should remain captured in the housing.

Generally, the head will have a 90 degree elbow on bottom, with a spur-style fitting for poly tube to slip over.

Regards,
    Tom

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

You probably have to replace the head.
      Generally there is a horizontal feed run underground maybe 5-8 inches below the surface. There will be a "Tee" or 90 elbow (if the end of the line) with a female upwards pointing pipe taper thread, usually 1/2" NPT plastic thread. There will be a short riser usually 2" to 6" long connecting to the sprinkler head from the bottom. The exception is some of the pop-up impluse sprinklers have a large body and are actually threaded into from the side (which makes them a bear to replace).

Anyway, you should unscrew the head assy. Not just the cap but the whole body which should be 3-5" long.
      The riser may or may not come with it- depending upon if the bottom or top thread comes undone first. If the riser comes out, unscrew it from the head and thread it lightly back into the joint from whence it came. Anyway you can take the head to the store adn get a replacement, all makers are interchangeable. A simple popup comes in a few heights from 2" to 4" (and require different riser heights so get the same height) and spray patterns (360°, 180°, 90°, 45° and long-skinny bidirectional) you need to match.
      Note generally you don't have to dig anything up, just a bit around the edge to get a hold of the head.
      Anyway, get the right replacement and screw it back onto the riser and align it after it snugs up (doen't need to be too tight) and it will usually have some add'l means of directing it.
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• radhak
        Veteran Member
        • Apr 2006
        • Miramar, FL
        • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Most probably some part of that sprinkler needs replacing. Whether it's just the head or more, depends.

Good news is that these things are very simply built - the sprinkler head is held in place by the cap which screws in. A spring at the bottom allow the force of water to push the head up to do its job, but as soon as the water flow shuts off, the spring makes the head retract.

Now pick up that sprinkler that fell out and see if it has the name/sticker on it; if not, check the part left in the ground; or else take the piece with you. Now visit HD/Lowes and find something same or similar. Important is that you be able to unscrew the cap to see its innards, and maybe even try and see if the piece in your pocket fits in. Hopefully it does - now buy it, and go back to the garden and you are ready for the repair.

And you would find it easiest to not replace the whole shebang. Just the stuff that's missing - I am guessing the cap is missing or broken, maybe the spring, or even the sprinkler head. Voila, you repaired your sprinkler! :-)
        It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
        - Aristotle

Comment

• ryan.s
          • Feb 2006
          • So Cal
          • Ridgid TS3650

I've had sprinkler heads do that to me too. For the one's I've come across usually the sprinkler head assembly is fine but threaded connector pipe that attaches the sprinkler head to the line is what's usually broken. It's a 50 cent part from the hardware store. Like the others mentioned you won't need to dig to replace it. The only part that's a pain is getting the broken connector out of the line. HF has a sprinkler tool which makes it much easier.

Comment

• LCHIEN
            Internet Fact Checker
            • Dec 2002
            • Katy, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by ryan.s
            I've had sprinkler heads do that to me too. For the one's I've come across usually the sprinkler head assembly is fine but threaded connector pipe that attaches the sprinkler head to the line is what's usually broken. It's a 50 cent part from the hardware store. Like the others mentioned you won't need to dig to replace it. The only part that's a pain is getting the broken connector out of the line. HF has a sprinkler tool which makes it much easier.
            if the riser is broken or you need to get it out there's a riser tool sold at most hardware stores, a t-handle with a tapered, toothed rod that you push into the remainder of the old riser and turn CCW, the taper will jam the teeth against the inside to get enuf friction to turn it out.
            Loring in Katy, TX USA
            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
            BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• JimD
              Veteran Member
              • Feb 2003
              • Lexington, SC.

My heads connect through a short piece of very flexible tubing. The PVC goes all the way to the sprinkler head but then there is a converter to the black flexible tubing which goes to the head. You have to dig up aground the head to change it. At least that is the way I've done it. The advantage of the flexible pipe is if somebody drives a car or a heavy lawnmower or something over the head, it does not break the pipe.

Jim

Comment

• lrr
                Established Member
                • Apr 2006
                • Fort Collins, Colorado
                • Ryobi BT-3100

Go to Home Depot or Lowes and either buy a book on sprinkler systems, or, this time of year, they probably offer a Saturday class on systems.

You'll definitely want to get acquanted with repairing the system, but the investment is worth it -- I hate dragging a sprinkler and hose around. Plus, when you go on vacation, the yard gets watered (and you hire the kid next door to mow it).

Actually, after 20+ years on the ol' Honda mower, I retired it, and hired the neighbor kid last year. I am helping him learn the valuable life lesson of doing pretty hard work for average money ...

And if you think I'm tough, his father bought a new mower, and is leasing it to him for $20 a month...
                Lee

Comment

Working...