X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bobstir

mice

Canadian Mouse Trap

1st. Get a 2-5 gallon (heavy gage) plastic bucket.

Next, find the center, and drill a hole on both ends (across from each other).

Take a soup can and peel off the label. Make sure it is slippery!

Drill a hole in the exact center of the can, on both ends. Empty contents through hole. (note) use a fine liquid type soup or broth. (Don’t open can!)

Get some piano wire or other single strand wire. Thread the wire through the sides and through the can. Attach and tension the wire with the can in the middle of the bucket!
    *Make sure it spins easy!

With your nice shiney can centered in the middle of the bucket, smear with peanut butter. Fill the bucket half full with water.

Finally, make a runway to the goods (for the mouse) using 1x or 2x or whatever scraps you have. You could have boards on all sides, the mice just want to get at he goods!

Mouse will run up (scraps, runway) to get to peanut butter, jump on can, can spins, mouse falls in water. Mouse is left floating in bucket. Mouse is done! Empty bucket when you want.

I have a neighbor who has had 15-20 mice in a bucket! Of course this is with the setup outside his cabin. Also, he had numerous buckets set up!

Comment

• billwmeyer
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2003
      • Weir, Ks, USA.
      • BT3000

The best I found is at the farm stores. One bite is one brand, and there are other brands of the poisons. Unlike the decon, this stuff makes the critters very thirsty, and if there is no water for them to access in the house, they leave for water, and die while they are gone. I have had good luck with decon, but the bodies stay in the house.

I used a glue board once, and only once. My wife found the mouse still alive on the board, and I was toast.

Bill
      "I just dropped in to see what condition my condition was in."-Kenny Rogers

Comment

• crokett
        The Full Monte
        • Jan 2003
        • Mebane, NC, USA.
        • Ryobi BT3000

I've just always used the snap traps. It gets 'em sooner or later. Glue traps are ok but I've had mice escape frome them. The problem with live traps is now you have a live mouse that needs killing. I mean are you gonna take them outside and release them? Then they become somebody else's problem.
        David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• BigHand
          Forum Newbie
          • Mar 2006
          • 42° 50' 30" N, 82° 40' 33" W
          • BT3K

Originally posted by bobstir
          Canadian Mouse Trap

Fill the bucket half full with water.

Fi
          Actually, anti-freeze works better. Found that out by accident when I left some used anti-freeze in an open bucket on the bench for a few weeks. Went to empty it and found about a dozen perfectly preserved mice on the bottom, which was a little creepy. I think they were attracted to it the same way dogs are, it's supposed to taste sweet. It also has less surface tension (I think) and is obviously more slippery. The mice go down quick.
          Pete

Comment

• bobstir

We use Dcon

The trouble with dcon and other dry type compounds, is the mice carry them to spots you don't normally check. Look between sofa cushions, in shoes, boots or other items that you would not usually check or haven't been moved for awhile.

I've had my share of of finding blue-green grains of whatever type of mouse poison in spots I wouldn't normally check.

The above experience is base upon a season cabin that is used mostly on weekends from May-October. The best eliminator in my case was sealing up every possible link to the outside. Fill all holes more than 1/8th of an inch wide. This includes roof holes. These rodents want to get inside and they can climb. This may also keep out "mice with wings", bats. I've had problems with those, but thats another story.

Comment

Working...