• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Slik Geek
    • Dec 2006
    • Lake County, Illinois
    • Ryobi BT-3000

Bathroom vent doesn't exhaust enough moisture

I have a 2nd floor full bath with no windows (no outside wall), 5 x 9 feet in size. LOML has repeatedly complained about moisture problems caused by the shower. My two teenage sons use this bathroom. They don't have much restraint with regard to the length of their showers or how hot they are. (Translation: they put out the moisture equivalent of 2.3 normal humans each). We have problems with mildew and mold on the paint on the upper reaches of the walls, in spite of consistent use of the ceiling mounted bathroom vent during showers.

My spouse (and painter) has put me on notice that the new paint job in progress must not be tainted by said moisture problem. We already tried having the boys leave the door cracked open in hopes that this would improve ventilation flow. I also confirmed that the vent had some suction by placing a sheet of 24 lb printer paper over the opening. The vent holds it quite securely in place, and the paper drops when the vent is turned off.

The vent exhausts to the outside world via a flexible. insulated plastic tube in attic. The tube run is probably 25 feet, and terminates into a plastic flapper vent. (You can hear the flap bouncing during windy days). The vent was installed by the builder several years ago, so I don't know its CFM rating. The vent has the HVI 2100 label. Given most home builders penchant for low cost, I wouldn't be surprised if this fan has the lowest rating available.

I visited the HVI web page and found recommendations for bathroom ventilation. My 5 x 9 x 8 foot space requires at least a 45 cfm fan. In theory, that would be fine. But since this is a newer house and is (hopefully) well sealed, and there is no window to the outdoors, I suspect that the theoretical capability of a fan may not match reality.

So here is my question. Does anybody out there have experience dealing with a similar problem? Is my solution as simple as finding a more powerful ventilation fan (a high CFM rating) and installing it?
  • crokett
    The Full Monte
    • Jan 2003
    • Mebane, NC, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000

Our old house had a similar problem in the master bath with mold and the popcorn paint falling off the ceiling. I replaced the existing fan with a bigger one and that solved the problem.
    David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• Crash2510
      • Feb 2006
      • North Central Ohio

yes you might need a higher cfm fan but you also might need better ventilation in the bathroom.

If your bathroom can not get enough air to replace the air that is being sucked out it will not reach its full potential just as a dust collector vented outside won't.

So I would first check that your bathroom is not sealed up too well, sometimes it does happen.
      Phil In Ohio
      The basement woodworker

Comment

• Cheeky
        • Nov 2006
        • westchester cty, new york
        • Ridgid TS2400LS

I have had the same problems and issues as you explained. I recently renovated a guest bathroom (I had to redo 90% of the work from a deplorable, inept contractor), and did an elobarate paint job that took me about 5 days to finish, so I researched the daylights out of exhaust.

Bottom line: you need a Panasonic WhisperCeiling/WhisperLite exhaust fan. They are bar-none, the best. I have installed 2 in my house, and 3 in my brothers new construction (the builder installed gimmick fans), and one of the bathrooms is windowless, like your house. Out of all the fans I installed, this bathroom exhausts the best for some reason.

They are very quiet, and work incredibly well, the bathroom mirrors don't even fog up during showers.

You will also benefit from using rigid ducting in the attic, as the flexible ducting creates static loss. Transitions like elbows create loss too, and all these things can have a substantial negative cumulative effect on performance. Panasonic gives you a formula on their website to figure out the CFM size needed for your application, and when I used flexible ducting, I upgraded one size. 25 feet is an awfully long run for a bath exhaust...that's killing the exhaust rate.

get them online, as you will save as much as 70% off from brick and mortar dealers.

I ordered from 2 different places, as I saved an additional 50 off from the second. I'll look back and find the sites for you if you're interested.
        Last edited by Cheeky; 01-04-2007, 01:14 PM.
        Pete

Comment

• Raffi
          Established Member
          • Sep 2003
          • CA, USA.

I'd be interested to hear which vendor you used! I am remodeling both my bathrooms in the near future and have heard good things about these fans.

Raffi

Comment

• Slik Geek
            • Dec 2006
            • Lake County, Illinois
            • Ryobi BT-3000

Originally posted by crokett
            Our old house had a similar problem in the master bath with mold and the popcorn paint falling off the ceiling. I replaced the existing fan with a bigger one and that solved the problem.
            Good to hear. I suspect that my current fan is rated for 50 cfm (bottom end), so I'm hoping that your success with a more powerful fan will work for me too!

Originally posted by Crash2510
            yes you might need a higher cfm fan but you also might need better ventilation in the bathroom.

If your bathroom can not get enough air to replace the air that is being sucked out it will not reach its full potential just as a dust collector vented outside won't.

So I would first check that your bathroom is not sealed up too well, sometimes it does happen.
            Good point. After my initial post, I started wondering about whether the bathroom door seals off air flow. I'll have to check that tonight. We have been leaving the door ajar consistently, however, and it appears that there isn't a bathroom seal problem. How well the remainder of the home provides air flow is another question. My suspicion is that the seal isn't that great, as I have found a few air leaks along one wall in the house during a bitter cold snap.

Comment

• Slik Geek
              • Dec 2006
              • Lake County, Illinois
              • Ryobi BT-3000

Originally posted by Cheeky
              I have had the same problems and issues as you explained... so I researched the daylights out of exhaust.

Bottom line: you need a Panasonic WhisperCeiling/WhisperLite exhaust fan. They are bar-none, the best.

I ordered from 2 different places, as I saved an additional 50 off from the second. I'll look back and find the sites for you if you're interested.
              Excellent feedback! Yes, I'm interested in the site where you purchased the fan!

Comment

• gabedad
                Established Member
                • May 2005
                • Chelmsford, MA.
                • unfortunately bts-15

I just went through bathroom upgrade and replaced both bathrrom fans with one in the attic . It was by panasonic and I beieve I got it at www.ventdirect.com

Comment

• steve-norrell
                  Veteran Member
                  • Apr 2006
                  • The Great Land - Alaska
                  • BT3100-1

Popular Panasonic!

What a coincidence! We also have Panasonic fans in our baths and garage. Two were replacements for existing fans; one was for a new half-bath; the fourth is in the garage. Two of the bath fans are the ones with lights and heaters. One is a fan only and the one in the garage is a fan only thru-the-wall unit.

All four have performed better than expected. I can't give them a strong enough recommendation. IMO, only way to go for either new installations or retrofits.

Good luck, Steve

Comment

• Curly Qsawn
                    Forum Newbie
                    • Mar 2004
                    • Woodbridge, VA, USA.

You may want to consider the length of time the fans run also. My teenagers would turn the fan off, leave the light on and the wet towels in the middle of the floor.

Comment

• Hellrazor
                      Veteran Member
                      • Dec 2003
                      • Abyss, PA
                      • Ridgid R4512

Your exhaust fan needs to be sized for the room its installed in. Run the exhaust fan with the door closed for about 10 minutes. Have someone open the door while you are standing under the fan. If you can hear the fans rpm increase you are basicly drawing a suction with the door closed.

Comment

• parnelli
                        • Aug 2004
                        • bt3100

Originally posted by Curly Qsawn
                        You may want to consider the length of time the fans run also. My teenagers would turn the fan off, leave the light on and the wet towels in the middle of the floor.
                        This is why my fan is on one of these timers:

Comment

• jcrenick
                          Forum Newbie
                          • Jul 2005
                          • Virginia.

Another option is to install a timer switch on the fan as stated above. This will allow the fan to run after you leave the bathroom to exhaust more air. The timers are available at HD/Lowes. The one I have is a single switch not as fancy as the one above. This was my solution to the same problem.

Comment

• gabedad
                            Established Member
                            • May 2005
                            • Chelmsford, MA.
                            • unfortunately bts-15

I had similar switches installed. If you go with a multi room fan you can wire the two switches in parallel and the fan unit will be controlled by either one.

I got this one.

Comment

• Slik Geek
                              • Dec 2006
                              • Lake County, Illinois
                              • Ryobi BT-3000

The forum has spoken!

Originally posted by Hellrazor
                              Your exhaust fan needs to be sized for the room its installed in. Run the exhaust fan with the door closed for about 10 minutes. Have someone open the door while you are standing under the fan. If you can hear the fans rpm increase you are basicly drawing a suction with the door closed.
                              I confirmed airflow using a modified technique, inspired by your suggestion. First, I confirmed that there is a healthy gap beneath the door. There is about a 1/2" gap between the door and the metal trim strip that transitions between the vinyl floor and the carpeting in the hallway.

With the door closed, I can detect airflow under the door when the fan is on. I can't quantify the flow, except that it isn't trivial, but it also isn't a gale force wind.

My conclusion, based upon the feedback in this forum, is that I need a higher CFM fan, and the Panasonic series appears highly recommended. I have one on order. I'll report back with the results when it is installed.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions and experience in this matter.

Comment

Working...