• Show
Clear All
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

Clogged Drain?

Came up with a great fix for a clogged drain in the bathroom. If you can drag a hose into the house, or have a way of connecting a hose in the house use a sprayer, like pictured, remove the stopper for the sink, stick end of the sprayer in the drain and wrap a rag around the end and press tightly down. Squeeze handle (water has to be on) and run til drain clears. This is very technical.

"I'M NEVER WRONG - BUT I'M NOT ALWAYS RIGHT"

• DaveStL
    Established Member
    • Jan 2006
    • St Louis, MO, USA.
    • Jet 10: Xacta RT

Originally posted by cabinetman
    Came up with a great fix for a clogged drain in the bathroom. If you can drag a hose into the house, or have a way of connecting a hose in the house use a sprayer, like pictured, remove the stopper for the sink, stick end of the sprayer in the drain and wrap a rag around the end and press tightly down. Squeeze handle (water has to be on) and run til drain clears. This is very technical.
    Yeah, nothing like letting water pressure do the work for you!

You can buy a rubber balloon-like device that fits on the end of your hose and has a small hole in the end. Stick the balloon well down into the drain and turn on the water. The line pressure expands the balloon creating a seal, so you have about 60 psi to push out the clog. Once it starts flowing, the small hole creates a jet. Make sure to hold the hose securely in case you didn't get the balloon far enough into the drain.

Don't use this if you're worried about blowing out a corroded drain....

I use it to start up my pool, because one of the skimmers is a long way from the pump. Also used it once on the floor drain in the furnace room.

Dave
    Last edited by DaveStL; 12-09-2006, 12:05 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

also make sure the drain isn't shared with something else - you could have "stuff" shooting out the second sink (and hitting the ceiling) or into the dishwasher...
      DAMHIKT
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• JimD
        Veteran Member
        • Feb 2003
        • Lexington, SC.

Whenever possible, I find it works better in the long run to just disassemble the p-trap and clean it up. Blowing out the clog leaves a lot of the clog still in place for me and I end up having to do it again, soon. When you can't get to the clog, I run a snake (but that is not much fun either).

Jim

Comment

• onedash
          Veteran Member
          • Mar 2005
          • Maryland
          • Craftsman 22124

not sure about your situation and hopefully its fixed by now but I had posted a while back about my problem. Wash machine overflowing toilet....
          Plumber fixed twice but landlord was going to wait till Monday the third time.
          I went on the roof with a long snake and put it in my cordless drill. Went through the vent and got it unclogged.
          YOU DONT HAVE TO TRAIN TO BE MISERABLE. YOU HAVE TO TRAIN TO ENDURE MISERY.

Comment

• dlminehart
            Veteran Member
            • Jul 2003
            • San Jose, CA, USA.

One risk you run in using water pressure to clear a sink drain is causing a leak in the trap or even blowing it off. Ordinarily, the trap is under very little pressure from water draining down. I'd agree with JimD that manually cleaning the trap is the best solution. I restrict the water pressure method to blowing out my lines PAST the trap.
            - David

“Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.” -- Oscar Wilde

Comment

Working...