• Show
Clear All
  • cgallery
    Veteran Member
    • Sep 2004
    • Milwaukee, WI
    • BT3K

Argh!!! Medicine cabinet obstruction

Trying to install medicine cabinet and came upon a vent stack. Standard medicine cabinet won't work, so I guess I need to make something to fit the hole (not moving stack). My first thought is reducing the width of the "box" and shifting it to the right to avoid the PVC. I can add some sort of a filler between the box and the left side of the frame, I guess. It would be nice if the filler had some purpose other than hiding the PVC, but can't think of anything. Any and all suggestions are welcome.
    Attached Files
  • Pappy
    The Full Monte
    • Dec 2002
    • San Marcos, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 (x2)

Assuming there will be a face frame on the outside of the wall, use a piece if 1/4 or 3/16 plywood to cover that part of the cabinet set as deep as the pipe will allow. Add hooks or brackets to hold things like combs, tooth bruses, etc.
    Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
    Fools because they have to say something.
    Plato

Comment

• gjat
      • Nov 2005
      • Valrico (Tampa), Florida.
      • BT3100

The stack does not have to be straight, it vents gas. Plumb it around your opening.

Comment

• cgallery
        Veteran Member
        • Sep 2004
        • Milwaukee, WI
        • BT3K

Originally posted by gjat
        The stack does not have to be straight, it vents gas. Plumb it around your opening.
        I think I'm going to accomodate it rather than move it. The next cavity to the left has a range hood vent. The next cavity to the right seems to have some blocking up higher that would require me opening up even more wall.

Comment

• TheRic
          • Jun 2004
          • West Central Ohio
          • bt3100

What is that toggle bolt holding up, is it sticking to far in the wall? Make sure you don't mount something in the future on the other side and drill into your medicine cabinet!

Replace the round pipe, in this area, with a flat air pipe and have it up against the joist. As long the inside area of the flat is the same, or larger, as the inside area of the round pipe you are good.

Move the air vent over just inches, not cavity. Put a dogleg at the bottom, and a dogleg at the top. Will gain you a few inches more space.
          Ric

Plan for the worst, hope for the best!

Comment

• Pappy
            The Full Monte
            • Dec 2002
            • San Marcos, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 (x2)

Another thought. (At 5:00 AM that is a dangeroues thing!). Dogleg the pipe to the center of the cabinet, make a His and Her's side with a dry erase or magnetic note board down the middle!
            Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
            Fools because they have to say something.
            Plato

Comment

• cgallery
              Veteran Member
              • Sep 2004
              • Milwaukee, WI
              • BT3K

Pappy: Another interesting idea.

General question: Is it okay to biscuit/glue the box to the face frame? I'm going to make the box from BB plywood. The frame will be hardwood. I know face frames are glued to plywood boxes all the time, but I thought it was ill-advised due to the movement of the hardwood.

Or do I have to worry primarily about width and less-so about length?

And if I do use biscuits, how to I line that up properly?

Thanks!
              Phil

Comment

• LCHIEN
                Internet Fact Checker
                • Dec 2002
                • Katy, TX, USA.
                • BT3000 vintage 1999

My suggestion:
                I think messing with the pipe would be a mess, not wort it unless you need a lot of cabinet space.
                I would build a recessed box with small shelves to the right of the pipe, and cover up the pipe and any small space to the left.
                I'd make the door large enough to cover the whole hole with a mirror of course. Finally, if there's enough space in front of the pipe and wall you built over it, add some hooks as someone suggested for small items,
                and or possibly some narrow (1/2") shelves with a horizontal bars for storing small flat items.
                OR, perhaps, instead of a flush door, use a wood frame to build the door out a few inches and make room on the back of the door or the front of the wall you made to cover the pipe, for some shelves. A one of two inch projection of the door and mirror might not be bad (and might even help if you need reading glasses).
                Loring in Katy, TX USA
                If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

Working...