• Show
Clear All
  • cgallery
    Veteran Member
    • Sep 2004
    • Milwaukee, WI
    • BT3K

Originally posted by dlminehart
    Dang! I got all interested in this PEX stuff, as I need to replumb my house here in San Jose. Wondered how I could have missed seeing it at the BORG. Checked again, none there. I suspect it's not up to code here, but discovered there's a whole industry devoted to selling copies of the code online, but could find no place to just look up online what I'd assumed was public info. Anyone have suggestions about finding whether PEX is OK to use in Santa Clara County?
    Find a real plumbing supply house and ask them. I would think the flexibility of Pex would be ideal in an area subject to earthquakes.

Comment

• Hoyden
      Established Member
      • Jan 2005
      • Twin Falls, ID, USA.

polybutylene, has an insurance problem. the way it was installed for several years created leaks and massive water damage claims. if you have an older instalation you may have a problem the newer instalations are ok. The problem was with both the line and the fitings.

try
      polybutylene.com
      PawPaw

Comment

• scorrpio
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2005
        • Wayne, NJ, USA.

Originally posted by dlminehart
        Dang! I got all interested in this PEX stuff, as I need to replumb my house here in San Jose. Wondered how I could have missed seeing it at the BORG. Checked again, none there. I suspect it's not up to code here, but discovered there's a whole industry devoted to selling copies of the code online, but could find no place to just look up online what I'd assumed was public info. Anyone have suggestions about finding whether PEX is OK to use in Santa Clara County?
        PEX is considered 'pro' stuff. I never seen it at HD or Lowes, even though it is definitely to code here. Check plumbing supply houses.

Reason why: It must be installed properly if you don't want it leaking all over. I.E. those ProPEX fittings I described above: the tubing has to be properly expanded using a proper tool in order to achieve proper connection. Improper use of tool - or using some 'clever' substitude - can damage the tubing or seat it poorly. Because of this, PEX manufacturers (Wirsbo, Zurn, Watts) offer a certification program for licensed plumbers, and generally will warranty their product only when installed by a certified plumber. Which is why home improvement stores generally do not offer them to consumers.

Comment

• Deadhead
          Established Member
          • Jan 2004
          • Maidens, Virginia, USA.
          • BT3100

Originally posted by jerrye
          IIRC, brand was Qest, but can't remember material...polybutylene, maybe?...nonetheless, not same as PEX, which is cross-linked(X) polyethylene(PE)...should be very stable and strong, as crosslinking (irradiation) is a process used in shrink film manufacturing to add strength and puncture resisitance...DAMHIKT
          It was Qest. I've got it in my house and (knock on wood) no problems.

http://www.pbpipe.com/index1.htm
          "Success is gettin' what you want; Happiness is wantin' what you get." - Brother Dave Gardner (1926-1983)

Comment

Working...