• Show
Clear All
  • cgallery
    Veteran Member
    • Sep 2004
    • Milwaukee, WI
    • BT3K

Should I have some Pex installed?

2nd floor bathroom is being done. Walls are open to the studs. Original pipes are galvanized steel. House is sixty years old (so are pipes). Thinking that it would be smart to replace the galvanized w/ Pex, now that we have access to the plumbing. Plumber is coming tomorrow. He charges $85/hour + materials, so I think I can get the Pex installed for a few extra hundred bucks more. Make sense?
  • eddy merckx
    Established Member
    • Mar 2006
    • Western WA
    • Shop Fox Cabinet

I replumbed some of my old house with cpvc years ago. When it came time to sell, the buyers weren't happy about the idea of plastic plumbing. I know others who have had the same issue. I don't think there is a problem with strength with plastics, but the perception seems to be that there is. You sure wouldn't want to tear that stuff out again. Does it cost much more to do copper?

Comment

• Tom Slick
      Veteran Member
      • May 2005
      • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
      • sears BT3 clone

CPVC wasn't very good stuff. PEX has a long track record of very good service. I wouldn't think twice about installing PEX. certainly get rid of the old galv. pipes.
      Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• Thalermade
        • Dec 2002
        • Ohio
        • BT 3000

Interesting that CPVC isn't very good stuff. Still a high use item here in Ohio. I have had no problems in 9 years with it.

PEX - outdoor- water main to house line had major problems and recall/replace here. (not my house but numerous ones built before 1997)

Comment

• cgallery
          Veteran Member
          • Sep 2004
          • Milwaukee, WI
          • BT3K

Okay, thanks everyone. The plumber looked at it this morning and the quote came in much higher because some of the plumbing is still behind walls/ceilings which means opening up a little of the first floor. However, at $1150 it still seems like cheap insurance and prevents me from having to tear out any of the new bathroom if a hole develops in the galvanized. So I told them to go ahead with it.

They are going to use Pex to speed things along and because they also like the product. Still going to take two guys better part of a day to get it done.

Thanks!
          Phil

Comment

• jking
            • May 2003
            • Des Moines, IA.
            • BT3100

The problems I am aware of with the flexible plastic plumbing (not sure if it was technically "PEX") installed in the 90's was the fittings; elbows, connections, etc. The plastic tubing was not a problem. If I remember correctly, these fittings were made from plastic & would degrade over time. There was actually a big lawsuit over this several years ago. PEX as is used today uses brass fittings & has a long history of service. While we in the US consider the current PEX product to be new technology, my understanding is that it has been quite common in parts of Europe for nearly 20 years.

John

Comment

• scorrpio
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2005
              • Wayne, NJ, USA.

Were I to run Pex, I'd do it myself. I would invest in the slightly more expensive ProPex fitting style, that expands the tubing in order to put on the fitting - the reason is that fittings inner diameter is closer to tubing''s own compared to crimp-ons. The tools are expensive, but in most homes, everything can be done with just 1/2 and 3/4 heads. www.pexsupply.com is a good source. Eventually, I'll be updating my water distribution sytems and installing radiant heat in floors - and will use pex for that.

Comment

• onedash
                Veteran Member
                • Mar 2005
                • Maryland
                • Craftsman 22124

This Old House has sold me on PEX.....
                YOU DONT HAVE TO TRAIN TO BE MISERABLE. YOU HAVE TO TRAIN TO ENDURE MISERY.

Comment

• cgallery
                  Veteran Member
                  • Sep 2004
                  • Milwaukee, WI
                  • BT3K

Originally posted by scorrpio
                  Were I to run Pex, I'd do it myself. I would invest in the slightly more expensive ProPex fitting style, that expands the tubing in order to put on the fitting - the reason is that fittings inner diameter is closer to tubing''s own compared to crimp-ons. The tools are expensive, but in most homes, everything can be done with just 1/2 and 3/4 heads. www.pexsupply.com is a good source. Eventually, I'll be updating my water distribution sytems and installing radiant heat in floors - and will use pex for that.
                  I would have liked to run it myself, but it would take me 2x-3x the time a couple of plumbers to do it. I didn't think I wanted to delay the project that much. But you're right, it is absolutely a project a homeowner would love to do!

Comment

• LinuxRandal
                    Veteran Member
                    • Feb 2005
                    • Independence, MO, USA.
                    • bt3100

Originally posted by jking
                    The problems I am aware of with the flexible plastic plumbing (not sure if it was technically "PEX") installed in the 90's was the fittings; elbows, connections, etc. The plastic tubing was not a problem. If I remember correctly, these fittings were made from plastic & would degrade over time. There was actually a big lawsuit over this several years ago. PEX as is used today uses brass fittings & has a long history of service. While we in the US consider the current PEX product to be new technology, my understanding is that it has been quite common in parts of Europe for nearly 20 years.

John

It wasn't Pex. Wish I could remember the name, but it was commonly used in building mobile homes. Same color as electrical conduit (although there was at least one other company, who used a different color).
                    She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• Tom Slick
                      Veteran Member
                      • May 2005
                      • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
                      • sears BT3 clone

out here in CA PEX has zero issues with earthquakes, even when installed in concrete slabs for radient heating. I'm not even sure if they still install CPVC here. As far as I know only copper or PEX is installed.
                      Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• cgallery
                        Veteran Member
                        • Sep 2004
                        • Milwaukee, WI
                        • BT3K

I have really only found one Pex con: Can't handle exposure to UV (sunlight). It can break down inside of a year if it gets his with lots of sunlight. Of course, there was one guy that mused that a 3 ounce field mouse could go through it in about ten seconds, and that is why he is sticking to copper. But I think that he was grasping at straws.

Or, perhaps he has done something to make the field mice especially bitter?

Comment

• jerrye
                          Forum Newbie
                          • Dec 2004
                          • Raleigh, NC, USA.
                          • BT3000

Originally posted by LinuxRandal
                          It wasn't Pex. Wish I could remember the name, but it was commonly used in building mobile homes. Same color as electrical conduit (although there was at least one other company, who used a different color).
                          IIRC, brand was Qest, but can't remember material...polybutylene, maybe?...nonetheless, not same as PEX, which is cross-linked(X) polyethylene(PE)...should be very stable and strong, as crosslinking (irradiation) is a process used in shrink film manufacturing to add strength and puncture resisitance...DAMHIKT
                          Last edited by jerrye; 12-01-2006, 06:32 AM.
                          Jerry

When you think you've built it idiot-proof, they build a better idiot...

Comment

• scorrpio
                            Veteran Member
                            • Dec 2005
                            • Wayne, NJ, USA.

When installing PEX, definitely don't save on fittings - use quality solid brass. The idea is to use as little fittings as possible. In a smaller house, ideal installation is manifold at the source, and single lengths of tubing all the way to supply valves. Plan the layout for graceful curves and use bend supports. A good PEX install should not need a single elbow unless going through some real tight space.
                            Also, PEX does not require extensive wall opening. One can go drilling through studs using an electrician's bit extender and then just fish it through.

Comment

• dlminehart
                              Veteran Member
                              • Jul 2003
                              • San Jose, CA, USA.

Dang! I got all interested in this PEX stuff, as I need to replumb my house here in San Jose. Wondered how I could have missed seeing it at the BORG. Checked again, none there. I suspect it's not up to code here, but discovered there's a whole industry devoted to selling copies of the code online, but could find no place to just look up online what I'd assumed was public info. Anyone have suggestions about finding whether PEX is OK to use in Santa Clara County?
                              - David

“Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.” -- Oscar Wilde

Comment

Working...