X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • parnelli
    • Aug 2004
    • bt3100

Consumer purchase from Grainger?

It's been years since I've bought anything from Grainger- and that was always for the company I was working for.

The website says business sales only, no consumer.

If I walk in to pay cash for a couple small items are they going to care, and if so, how does everyone here get around it?
  • eezlock
    • Feb 2006
    • Charlotte,N.C.
    • BT3100

Grainger...

Tell them you are buying it thru a company that you know of that has an account with them, but it is such a small purchase, to save billing costs
    that you will pay cash this time around. eezlock

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by eezlock
      Tell them you are buying it thru a company that you know of that has an account with them, but it is such a small purchase, to save billing costs
      that you will pay cash this time around. eezlock
      The way I would buy parts from a commercial supplier is to call in professionally as possible, say you're with what ever company you're really with (XYZ company) give them your name and contact information and place an order for part # whatever, taht you have previously looked up and identified. Tell them you have a verbal order and it will be Will Call COD, that means you will come by their place of business and pay cash (a check is usually OK). Some places will take credit cards now for phone orders-Will call.

Mainly the companies don't want to mess with uninformed consumers who don't really know what they want and will waste their valuable time asking endless questions and bringing returns.

Sometimes you will run up against a company that has minimum orders... ask them politely if they can make an exception - if you get in and out with a minimum of fuss, then you will be worth their time even on small orders... provided you're not buying one nut or something for $.05. Of Coourse, Most industrial suppliers of nuts and bolts sell them in boxes of 100.
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• bmyers
        Veteran Member
        • Jun 2003
        • Fishkill, NY
        • bt 3100

There is always http://www.mcmaster.com/ McMaster-Carr

I've recently ordered stuff from them that was 1-z,2-z type stuff and had no problems shipping to my home address. They don't really care if you have a company. I'd suggest ACME for a chuckle. As long as the plastic is good, they don't care.

Bill
        "Why are there Braille codes on drive-up ATM machines?"

Comment

• Salty
          • Feb 2006
          • Akron, Ohio

In many cases I've found McMaster to be cheaper than Grainger. If you are not sure what the brand name is, call them, they are quite helpful.
          Why doesn't the word 'planing' show up in my computer spell check?

Comment

Working...