X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • parnelli
    • Aug 2004
    • bt3100

Washing machine connections

Got the call from a relative that they couldn't get the hoses to stop leaking from where it attaches to their newly bought and delivered washing machine.

Arrived to find that the cold connection had been really badly cross-threaded. No matter how I try to get the hose to go on straight, it won't because the male washer connection is plastic and the first few threads are mangled.

Suggestions?

I figure either I could get a die and try to repair what's there, but I'm not sure what they'd even be....3/4 X 14? 3/4 x 11.5?

Or do I try to cut off the first few threads and try again?

Thanks as always guys- I'm in a pickle over this one!
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by parnelli
    Got the call from a relative that they couldn't get the hoses to stop leaking from where it attaches to their newly bought and delivered washing machine.

Arrived to find that the cold connection had been really badly cross-threaded. No matter how I try to get the hose to go on straight, it won't because the male washer connection is plastic and the first few threads are mangled.

Suggestions?

I figure either I could get a die and try to repair what's there, but I'm not sure what they'd even be....3/4 X 14? 3/4 x 11.5?

Or do I try to cut off the first few threads and try again?

Thanks as always guys- I'm in a pickle over this one!
    If the threads are so bunged up that you can't start a hose coupling, starting a die won't be any better and you'll end up damaging the remaining threads because there's no way to line up the starting point of the die so it'll coincide with the good threads (if any) on the inside. Removing threads or cutting off threads seems to me to be inviting a blowout later in life. Seems the only real solution is to remove and replace the fitting. by rotating the entire faucet fitting you should be able to unscrew it from the pipe in the wall or the nipple extension it might be on, take it to the HW store and get one to match. Make sure you use pipe dope or teflon tape to seal the joint.

Another suggestion - don't buy a plastic replacement fitting!
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 11-26-2006, 11:19 PM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• TheRic
      • Jun 2004
      • West Central Ohio
      • bt3100

Sounds to me like your talking the threads on the washer.
      If the delivery people screwed it on, give them a call and have them bring out a new washer.
      If your relatives did it. Then I would suggest trying to get the hose threaded on with lots of pipe dope. If it still leaks then get a new piece for the washer. Most washers I have dealt with, the hot and cold is going thru the same section / unit (it controls hot/cold/warm). Been a while but I'm thinking they run about $15 - $30.
      Ric

Plan for the worst, hope for the best!

Comment

• Tom Slick
        Veteran Member
        • May 2005
        • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
        • sears BT3 clone

---I figure either I could get a die and try to repair what's there, but I'm not sure what they'd even be....3/4 X 14? 3/4 x 11.5?--------

you'll love this, it's 3/4 GHT - Garden Hose Thread.
        Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

Working...