• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bruce Platt
    Established Member
    • Apr 2004
    • Swanzey, NH, USA.

Oven temperature control

Recently purchased a new Bosch range, wife was having trouble cooking with it, called the repairman who said it was working correctly. I brought home some temp measurement meters from the office to check it out.

When set at 400, the oven cycles from 367 to 425. This seems excessive to me, anbody know how close oven controls should be.

TIA
    Bruce Platt
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

It seems excessive to me too, especially for a Bosch. I don't what a company would say is excessive. I would go to their web site and email them. Ask if their models should do better than that. If they say it should, then tell them you have one that does not and the repairman said it was OK.
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• bigfoot
      Forum Newbie
      • Sep 2006

When you tested the temp, did you check temp at or near the oven sensor (thermocouple?)

That is about a +-7% variation, which does seem excessive for an oven. I would think no more than 2% would be the spec. I agree, contact the manufacturer with the data you have collected.
      The voices made me do it.

Comment

• jziegler
        Veteran Member
        • Aug 2005
        • Salem, NJ, USA.
        • Ryobi BT3100

Sounds excessive to me as well. I'd expect a +/- 5 10 degree varaiation. Which is around 2%. It's not like temperature control is rocket science....

Jim

Comment

• bigsteel15
          Veteran Member
          • Feb 2006
          • Edmonton, AB
          • Ryobi BT3100

When I did repairs we always looked to have a swing of +/- 10 degrees when set at 350F.
          That was in the days of old manual controls. I assume you have electronic.
          You didn't state if this is electric or gas oven. May also make a difference.
          Brian

Welcome to the school of life
          Where corporal punishment is alive and well.

Comment

• LCHIEN
            Internet Fact Checker
            • Dec 2002
            • Katy, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 vintage 1999

Engineering wise, saying a temperature is a so-many-percent variation or swing is totally inaccurate because F and C temperatures are based on an arbitrary zero!

I think the means of measurement is very imortant.
            What were you measuring when you made these measurements. If you measured the heating elements then the swing would be much, much greater. If you measured the inside of a cake then the temperature swing would be much smaller as the thermal mass of the cake averaged out the temperature swing. If you measured the air then the measurement would depend upon how close you got to the elements vs the object being cooked. If you infrared-measured the walls of the oven you might get what you measured. You'd probably get the most accurate and useful measurement inside any food item.

Assuming you measured closer to the elements then the swing might not be abnormal. I think the most important thing you should compare to others is how frequently the oven cycles on and off. When its at temperature, I would think it would cycle on and off maybe once per minute to once every few minutes.

The difference between upper and lower points are called hysteresis, the temperature control is called "bang-bang" in engineering slang and just involves full on and off switching. If you have small hysteresis then the controller works too often with some disadvantages.
            Last edited by LCHIEN; 10-29-2006, 12:30 PM.
            Loring in Katy, TX USA
            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
            BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Bruce Platt
              Established Member
              • Apr 2004
              • Swanzey, NH, USA.

Well. the local dealer decided he didn't want to deal with me anymore, because I obviously was better equiped to judge the performance of the oven than his repairman. Not that I am upset, he is completly refunding my purchase price.

It is an electric oven with electronic controls. It has a simple on/off controller but the deadband is huge. PID controllers are so cheap I am surprised that a range costing over $1500 does not include one.

But BORG saves the day. They recommended the GE "true temp" system, and agreed to let me test it in the store. All testing was done with an empty oven (admittedly worst case), with the thermocouple in the air in the center of the oven. GE controlled at 400 with in +/- 5 degrees F.

Now SHMBO is happy, time for a new power tool.
              Bruce Platt

Comment

Working...