• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ivwshane
    Established Member
    • Dec 2003
    • Sacramento CA

Wiring question

Is there any reason why I couldn't use the outlet box of a bathroom cieling fan as a junction box? The wire going into the box is a 14/2 and the wire I want to go in to it and connect with a similar wire is also a 14/2.
  • LJR
    Established Member
    • Jan 2005

ivwshane, the only reason it wouldn't work is because the junction box may become too full with wire and connectors. There is such a thing as a box fill calculation which tells how many wires and devices will fit into what size box.

From your description it sounds like you're talking about the little sheet metal junction box that's actually part of the fan enclosure? I've seen some of those which are really small and some of them have plenty of room for another splice.

Comment

• LJR
      Established Member
      • Jan 2005

I should have added that a number 14 conducter should have 2 cu. in. of space in the junction box. Thus, if you have two 14/2 with ground you will need 10 cu. in. of room. That doesn't count wire clamps or whatever else is in the box.

Comment

• Daryl
        • May 2004

I wouldn't. If the day comes that you have to replace the fan you will have to move all the wires that went to the box.
        Sometimes the old man passed out and left the am radio on so I got to hear the oldie songs and current event kind of things

Comment

Working...