• Show
Clear All
  • cgallery
    Veteran Member
    • Sep 2004
    • Milwaukee, WI
    • BT3K

Fixing fluorescent fixtures?

Today, when removing a bulb from a 4x48" (four bulbs each 48" long) fluorescent fixture, the connector on one end broke. I did notice that the bulbs I was replacing were just a fraction (1/32") longer than the replacements I was using. The additional length made it real tuff removing the bulbs.

Can I purchase replacement connectors from someone like McMaster? Or Home Depot? I know they come w/ the ballast but the ballast is still good.

Thanks,
    Phil
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by cgallery
    Today, when removing a bulb from a 4x48" (four bulbs each 48" long) fluorescent fixture, the connector on one end broke. I did notice that the bulbs I was replacing were just a fraction (1/32") longer than the replacements I was using. The additional length made it real tuff removing the bulbs.

Can I purchase replacement connectors from someone like McMaster? Or Home Depot? I know they come w/ the ballast but the ballast is still good.

Thanks,
    Phil
    You should be able to get those 2-pin fluorescent connectors from any decent hardware store - I've never had to shop for them at lowes or HD but I know the ACE-type HW stores used to have them.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
      Veteran Member
      • Nov 2005
      • York, PA, USA.

Yes. There are a few different styles, so be sure to take one with you. They typically come in packs of 2 and run around $2-3$

Comment

• eezlock
        • Feb 2006
        • Charlotte,N.C.
        • BT3100

light fixture ends

Originally posted by cgallery

Thanks,
        Phil
        Phil, you could get them from any good electrical supply house in your area,
        they may even have them at HD or Lowe's ...about $5.00 each.
        eezlock

Comment

• cabinetman
          Gone but not Forgotten RIP
          • Jun 2006
          • So. Florida
          • Delta

They are called tombstones. Just cut the old off and wire nut on the new ones.

"I'M NEVER WRONG - BUT I'M NOT ALWAYS RIGHT"
          Last edited by cabinetman; 09-08-2006, 10:04 AM.

Comment

• JSUPreston
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2005
            • Montgomery, AL.
            • Delta 36-979 w/Biesemyere fence kit making it a 36-982. Previous saw was BT3100-1.

Another cheap but slightly more expensive option: new lights. I know the local BORG has Lithonia Lighting units that are about $8 each. I've got 4 (actually six...burned out two, long story), and they work very well. I'll probably get one more for over the miter saw, if I ever get back out to the shop. I think they take T-40 bulbs.
            "It's a dog eat dog world out there, and I'm wearing Milk-Bone underwear."- Norm (from Cheers)

Eat beef-because the west wasn't won on salad.

Comment

• cgallery
              Veteran Member
              • Sep 2004
              • Milwaukee, WI
              • BT3K

I want to order them from McMaster to save time (and money, actually). On page 654 of their catalog they show holders that match the way mine look. Each size is available in "Preheat, Rapid Start" and "Instant Start." The "Instant Start" are slightly more expensive. I know these fixtures were the cheapest troffers that Home Depot sold (like $30 each for a four-bulb T12 fixture).

I would have imagined the "Preheat, Rapid Start" would be more expensive because they sound like they have another wire going to them or something. Why would "Instant Start" be more expensive, and what is the difference?

Thanks,
              Phil

Comment

• 91FE
                Established Member
                • Dec 2005
                • Philadelphia (actually Souderton), PA.

Originally posted by JSUPreston
                Another cheap but slightly more expensive option: new lights. I know the local BORG has Lithonia Lighting units that are about $8 each.
                Yup. I went to the BORG a few weeks ago for a replacement ballast... came home with a whole new fixture for a third of the price.
                Last edited by 91FE; 09-08-2006, 09:00 PM.
                I like Wagoneers too. Hey...they've got wood

Comment

• messmaker
                  Veteran Member
                  • May 2004
                  • RICHMOND, KY, USA.
                  • Ridgid 2424

i would vote for the new lights unless they are something special. Two of the worst shocks I have ever received came while working on old light units.
                  spellling champion Lexington region 1982

Comment

Working...