• Show
Clear All
  • JoeyGee
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2005
    • Sylvania, OH, USA.
    • BT3100-1

Cracked mirror

We have a set of sliding mirrored closet doors in our bedroom. One is cracked on the bottom and the crack is slowly spreading. Is there anything I can put on the crack to "seal" it to stop the crack? I really don't want to replace it--I am sure it's fairly expensive.
    Joe
  • DaveW
    Established Member
    • Jul 2004
    • So Cal.

you could try super glue to keep it from growing... I've heard that works.

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by JoeyGee
      We have a set of sliding mirrored closet doors in our bedroom. One is cracked on the bottom and the crack is slowly spreading. Is there anything I can put on the crack to "seal" it to stop the crack? I really don't want to replace it--I am sure it's fairly expensive.
      What they do on car windshields is to drill the end of the crack with a small diamond or glass bit and relieve the stress. The super glue is to fill the hole so it won't leak water and whistle in the wind.

If you have a saw blade like the 40-tooth Freud that's standard with the BT3 you can see a hole at the end of the laser cuts. this is a strain releif so the saw blade body won't crack at those points of high stress.

I assume that would work on your mirror.
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• cabinetman
        Gone but not Forgotten RIP
        • Jun 2006
        • So. Florida
        • Delta

I don't think the drill bit idea will do anything but make it crack more. There is really nothing that will stop it not even kryptonite. Due to the glass' innate property to expand and contract, the added agitation of movement will allow it to continue to crack. Glass/mirror, is totally different than windshield glass.

"I'M NEVER WRONG - BUT I'M NOT ALWAYS RIGHT"

Comment

• MilDoc

I agree with cabinetman about drilling a hole, but I had the same thing happen years ago. I used a very thin CA glue and sealed the crack, making certain it went all the way to the backing. Crack stopped dead. 'course, I moved out 3 years later so i can't speak to longevity.

Comment

• parnelli
            • Aug 2004
            • bt3100

what about those windshield repair kits they sell- with the plunger and the suction cup thingy. Would whatever is in there work? Maybe someone else could chime in...

Comment

• paintandbodtman
              Banned
              • Jul 2006

cracked mirror

windshields are safety glass meaning it is two layers of glass with a plastic laminate in the middle to keep the glass from becoming a lethal dagger when broken, usually the chips that are repaired in a windshield are in the outer layer only making repair possible. A mirror being single layer doesn't lend itself to that type of repair, also since its not tempered glass a crack makes it fairly hazardous especially if there are any small children in the home. Of course you could be like Steve Irwin and leave it like it is and temp fate.

Wayne

Comment

Working...