X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Daryl
    • May 2004

Motion activated lights

Got a mystery. We've had this house for about five years. On one side in the back there is a motion activated light, I don't know the brand. It never fails that about this time of year the light starts being erratic and eventually stops turning on. I can get right under it and jump around as much as I like, but to no avail. Just a couple weeks ago I couldn't stick my head around the corner with out it turning on. Like I said, this is a seasonal deal.
    During winter I make a few plans for improvements and that light is on my list. OK OK it's on my wife's list. But, every year towards the end of March, it will start working again, actually, about the middle of summer it will turn on during the day if somebody goes around there. Needless to say, I have never done anything to it except replace the bulbs, but they weren's burned out.
    So, any Ideas?
    Sometimes the old man passed out and left the am radio on so I got to hear the oldie songs and current event kind of things
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Get a new one?
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• thrytis
      • May 2004
      • Concord, NC, USA.
      • Delta Unisaw

Have you examined the sensor carefully to see if it was fogged up on the inside with moisture or something? I don't know where you are located, but do you have a weather change this time of year that could attribute to the failure?
      Eric

Comment

• gjbivin
        Established Member
        • Jan 2005
        • Gilbert, AZ, USA.
        • BT3100

Could the Sun be shining on the sensor? That would explain the seasonal changes.
        Gary J. Bivin
        Gilbert, AZ

Comment

• LinuxRandal
          Veteran Member
          • Feb 2005
          • Independence, MO, USA.
          • bt3100

Dad had a cheapy that wasn't well sealed. Moisture in it screwed up the timing. He tried to replace just that part and found it MUCH cheaper to replace the whole fixture.

The only other thing I can think of would be the angle, as not all have the same range or angle of sensing.
          She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• Daryl
            • May 2004

The sun don't shine too much at night here so I really don't give much thought to the sun's angle. I'll probably take it down and just put up a switched light.
            Sometimes the old man passed out and left the am radio on so I got to hear the oldie songs and current event kind of things

Comment

• vaking
              Veteran Member
              • Apr 2005
              • Montclair, NJ, USA.
              • Ryobi BT3100-1

A lot depends on your climate, temperature and humidity. Most motion detectors react on "moving heat", they recognise a person moving from a tree moved by the wind by looking for temperature difference. Is this the time of a year when the outside temperature is "just comfortable", not too hot and not too cold? That would mean your outside temperature is about same as temperature outside and sensor fails to detect your motion. Replacing the sensor might not help then, it is not defective.
              Alex V

Comment

• offthemark
                Established Member
                • Jan 2004
                • Germantown, TN, USA.
                • BT3100

There are several things that could be the problem. You can get motion lights for less than $20. Just replace it and quit worrying about it.
                Mark
                --------
                "There are no stupid questions - just stupid people"

Comment

• Daryl
                  • May 2004

Originally posted by vaking
                  A lot depends on your climate, temperature and humidity. Most motion detectors react on "moving heat", they recognise a person moving from a tree moved by the wind by looking for temperature difference. Is this the time of a year when the outside temperature is "just comfortable", not too hot and not too cold? That would mean your outside temperature is about same as temperature outside and sensor fails to detect your motion. Replacing the sensor might not help then, it is not defective.
                  This seems to be the best reasonable explanation I've gotten, thanks vaking.

Comment

Working...