X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HarmsWay
    • Nov 2003
    • Victoria, BC
    • BT3000

Interesting JR. I remember reading code to that effect from somewhere (could have been California). If they enforced that here, Victoria would be structure-free. Is that for earthquake reasons? If so, we should be thinking along the same lines (no pun intended). Actually, if a reasonable sized quake hits here, I expect the shed to survive better than the house, so we're stocking it with the earthquake kit.

Comment

• JR
      The Full Monte
      • Feb 2004
      • Eugene, OR
      • BT3000

Originally posted by HarmsWay
      Is that for earthquake reasons?
      Sort of, but not exactly. I think it has more to do with the quality of our soil. It's very loose and unstable. In an earthquake, or more likely in a heavy rain, it tends to move.

When I first moved here in the '60s I remember reading about a number of mudslides which came through bedroom windows, smothering unsuspecting sleepers.

JR
      JR

Comment

• HarmsWay
        • Nov 2003
        • Victoria, BC
        • BT3000

Ah, that would be different then. Vancouver Island is just an 800 mile rock long sticking out of the water. There is no soil on my property except where man has put it.

Comment

• Thalermade
          • Dec 2002
          • Ohio
          • BT 3000

Great looking shed.
          The irony about my learning experience with sheds is that I will never be able to use the knowledge to build my own shed where I currently live - HOA does not allow for them. Can't even have a dog house.... whoops better not get everyone fired up again over HOA's

Once again great looking shed and nice write up.

Comment

• HarmsWay
            • Nov 2003
            • Victoria, BC
            • BT3000

I'm a little slow on the uptake. HOA == home owner's association? If so, ours is one of the more restrictive ones in greater Victoria, but nothing like what you're describing. I guess there are pros and cons to HOAs. It was one of reasons we moved into the area though. Having said that, at times it would be nice if just everyone else had to follow the rules.

Comment

Working...