X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PALefty
    Established Member
    • Feb 2006

Washer Broke

Bad timing on having my washer break.. as I have to go out of town tomorrow for a few days. I had a bunch of loads to do.

Anyway, it appears the motor coupling broke. It is a Whirlpool but for the life of me I can't find a model # (Heavy Duty /Super Capacity/7 Cycle-2 Speed).

The Whirlpool website seems useless... but I did find some info on a few other sites. While this doesn't match my coupling exactly, both claim that it will replace all older models. Anybody have any experience with the newer coupling? How much do I have to take apart to put this in place?

linky

Direct Drive Coupling - newly redesigned
    This direct drive coupling fits between the motor and the transmission of your washing machine. This is a newly redesigned motor coupling and it replaces all of the older styles of couplings. Use it for your direct drive washing machine that doesn't use a belt.
    PartSelect #: PS334626

linky2

Motor coupling - Located between motor and transmission. Replaces all previous versions. Fits ALL Whirlpool, Kenmore, Roper and KitchenAid direct drive washers (no belt).
    Part Number: AP3136256
    made by WHIRLPOOL
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by PALefty
    Bad timing on having my washer break.. as I have to go out of town tomorrow for a few days. I had a bunch of loads to do.

Anyway, it appears the motor coupling broke. It is a Whirlpool but for the life of me I can't find a model # (Heavy Duty /Super Capacity/7 Cycle-2 Speed).

The Whirlpool website seems useless... but I did find some info on a few other sites. While this doesn't match my coupling exactly, both claim that it will replace all older models. Anybody have any experience with the newer coupling? How much do I have to take apart to put this in place?

linky

Direct Drive Coupling - newly redesigned
    This direct drive coupling fits between the motor and the transmission of your washing machine. This is a newly redesigned motor coupling and it replaces all of the older styles of couplings. Use it for your direct drive washing machine that doesn't use a belt.
    PartSelect #: PS334626

linky2

Motor coupling - Located between motor and transmission. Replaces all previous versions. Fits ALL Whirlpool, Kenmore, Roper and KitchenAid direct drive washers (no belt).
    Part Number: AP3136256
    made by WHIRLPOOL
    So did the coupling break from old age and wear or is the coupling really
    a mechanical fuse in disguise, rated to break when something else jams up and it protects the motor from burnout?

I don't really know much about servicing washers and driers (I own a 27-y.o. Maytag ) but I do know engineering.

Maybe one of the regulars who knows servicing these machines will chime in.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• PALefty
      Established Member
      • Feb 2006

Originally posted by LCHIEN
      So did the coupling break from old age and wear or is the coupling really
      a mechanical fuse in disguise, rated to break when something else jams up and it protects the motor from burnout?
      I would say wear. It is a rubber coupling between to hard plastic pieces. There was some fine rubber dust near where the coupling had been and part of it is certainly broken. While it is not a new washer... it certainly isn't old.
      Perhaps their redisgned model that seems to be the only one available will last longer.

Just got back from the laundrymat. 1.75/load. What a fun place too....
      Last edited by PALefty; 08-19-2006, 08:20 PM.

Comment

• dlminehart
        Veteran Member
        • Jul 2003
        • San Jose, CA, USA.

There should be a model number on a small plate on the back of the control panel, under the lid, or on the lower-front or side of the main cabinet body, assuming a traditional topload washer. I've had good experiences ordering parts from http://www.repairclinic.com . Fast shipping, good prices, helpful and quick response to email request for assistance.
        - David

“Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.” -- Oscar Wilde

Comment

• PALefty
          Established Member
          • Feb 2006

Originally posted by dlminehart
          There should be a model number on a small plate on the back of the control panel, under the lid, or on the lower-front or side of the main cabinet body, assuming a traditional topload washer. I've had good experiences ordering parts from http://www.repairclinic.com . Fast shipping, good prices, helpful and quick response to email request for assistance.
          I checked all those places except one of the sides. It is strange. Maybe I will see it tomorrow after I sleep on it...

Comment

• PALefty
            Established Member
            • Feb 2006

I found a bunch of good sites that descibe the process. It looks pretty simple. I guess I should check the Agitator Dogs too before I place a parts order...

linky1
            linky2
            linky3
            linky4

Comment

Working...