X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jeff_1064
    Forum Newbie
    • Mar 2006

CPVC pipe sweat...HELP!

Does anyone know how to keep or deal with CPVC pipes that sweat? I am worried about the pipes in my walls sweating so much that they cause mold problems.

I have a well so the water is extremely cold and there is no A/C in the house. I have a de-humidifer…but I haven’t seen it help in lowering the amount of sweat.

Help!

Jeff
  • scorrpio
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2005
    • Wayne, NJ, USA.

Your best bet is insulation. 1/2" fiberglass pipe insulation should work well. It is always a good idea to insulate pipes - protects against condensation in summer, and against freezing in winter. And CPVC is not the worst - copper sweats a great deal more. I used to have a small puddle near water meter all the time until I completely insulated the inlet pipe.

Comment

• JimD
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2003
      • Lexington, SC.

I like the foam type of insulation. It comes in split tubes with tape on both sides of the split so you can make it into a continuous insulation tube over the pipe. You need to seal the ends to keep air out if you are going to avoid the condensation.

Jim

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by JimD
        I like the foam type of insulation. It comes in split tubes with tape on both sides of the split so you can make it into a continuous insulation tube over the pipe. You need to seal the ends to keep air out if you are going to avoid the condensation.

Jim
        Yeah we use lots of that in Houston.
        We insulate pipes in the attic and outdoors so they don't freeze in the winter and crack the pipes. We use them to insulate hot water lines (well we wish they did) so you don't get 2 minutes of cold water before it turns hot. and we use them to insualte the Air conditioning condensate lines in the attic. Seems that we have so much humidity that there is a constant stream of water going from the A/C condenser to the drain. But the water is cold and the air humid so water condenses on the outside of the drain pipe and drips all over the attic. So, we have to insulate those lines, as well.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

Working...